KiteLife Forum
John Barresi

Handle mods (snagless)

On 4/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, makatakam said:

There are a few other ways that people have come up with to make this modification, but this is the simplest, fastest and least expensive of them all. It works and it lasts a long time. The only addition I would suggest is "sacrificial" loops to attach the leaders if you fly more than 10 hours per week.

These “sacrificial” loops or pigtails... How long and what # line should they be? Newb👈🏻

You can make them any length you want. I make mine about 7" long so I have something more substantial than the spectra flying line to grab for catch and throw, especially when flying on 50-pound line. Each flyer develops their own style and preferences. Don't be afraid to try stuff and discard or change it later. That's how you get better at it.

As the saying goes if at first you don't succeed,,, I bought some blue 8-10 wall anchors ( looks just like the ones in reefrunners photo, and some #10 ss shoulder screws as Wayne calls them, really nice btw, dremiled the inside of the tube nice and smooth, inserted the anchor, noticed it was a little loose, put the screw in, tied on the line and pulled, guess what it slipped part way out. I ended up wrapping some gorilla clear tape 5-6 times around the anchor for a snug fit, Installed the screws and it was much better. I then put some superglue in the two holes for the rings and let dry. Pulled with about fifty pounds of pull and no slip. I guess not all anchor brands are the same. Next time maybe leave the burrs on the inside of the handle.

No need to Dremel the insides, the anchor grabs on to those little edges and covers the end of the tube for leader protection. The only thing I remove  is that nasty burr from punching the holes for the ring. Never saw any need to glue the holes, they get covered by reusing the vinyl caps. Makes it look clean.