KiteLife Forum

First stunt kite advice

Munkey

Looking to purchase my first stunt kite. I want something that will easily transport on my motorcycle to the flying field. Not too big of a learning curve. Launches easily by myself. Right now I am leaning towards a foil kit mostly for the portability factor. Am looking at the HQ Symphony 1.8. Would this make a good beginner purchase or would I be better off with something like one of the Prism kites?  

Thanks

The Symphony 1.8 is a fun kite to start with, and since it has no frame there is nothing to break. The smaller 1.3 version was my first dual line kite and it always made me smile. Once you have full control of it and it starts to get a little boring, try it on shorter lines. Woohoo! You'll be in love with it again.

You will probably own other kites eventually, but this is an excellent place to start. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you have any questions, no matter how dumb you may think they are, ask. We're here to help everyone we can.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

IMHO......

It's kind of a two part question...

As far as first "stunt kite" goes, I would recommend either a Prism Quantum or Prism Hypnotist. They both have a shock absorbing spine for those potential nose dive lawn dart moments. Difference between the two? I'll tell ya, the Hypnotist comes complete with a dvd that is really cool to watch and help with the learning experience. I started with the Quantum and still own it. It's a blast to fly, has a great sound to it and can pull pretty damn good in the right winds. 

As far as "small and easy to pack away " goes, you can't go wrong with a foil at all. They're also a blast and they pack down pretty darn small. 

Happy winds!!

It really comes down to your expectation of what you're flying will progress to. Look for pull - and the foils deliver that! Plus no spars to break and pack down pretty small. But they are limited in how much they can do.

Stunt kites (framed) are another kettle of fish! Lots of tricks to be coaxed out of them, as your experience grows. Tricks might look a bit daunting now, but....? Remember too that framed kites can be flown as aggressively as you feel comfortable with.

So it really is up to you! 

My first kite was a HQ beach symphony 2.1 and I soon got board of just flying figure of 8s so I got a board and progressed to bigger power kites as I'd class the symphony range as power kites , I broke 3 ribs using a 2 meter kite in a buggy , I still have my symphony that I've converted to 4 line from a two line , but now I fly my Rev exp more and my wife and daughter fly a HQ Bellero 2 , sport kites are definitely more fun and the sky is the limit as your experience grows

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I don't nearly have the experience as those posting before me but I can tell you that I started with the 1.8 and it was fun but now after buying the 2.2 I don't know how much I will fly it anymore. My daughter loves it so it won't leave the bag but the 2.2 gives better pull in my opinion and I wanted the option to convert to quad line and love it even more. Portability is almost the same . Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1