KiteLife Forum

Addicted To The Rev

Hi, all. My sister-in-law bought a super cheap single-line kite for my daughter for her birthday. After having a ton of fun flying it with her, I started reading about kites. After some wikipedia and youtubing, I discovered the quad line. I purchased a Rev EXP impulsively. As an experienced sailor and climber with an intuitive grasp of things like wind, sails, and knots, I thought that Rev flight would come naturally. Boy was I ever wrong. Even after reading everything I could find and watching hours of tutorials, my first outing was an exercise in futility and frustration and I seriously thought about selling the kite. But I just can't resist a challenge. Glad I stuck with it. As of my sixth outing, I finally managed to get more air time than ground/set-up time. Probably the best experience was watching my daughter's jaw drop when I launched from ground level to the top of the window in less than a second.

Line management is still a huge problem. I have watched John's Line Management tutorial repeatedly and yet, somehow, I seem to be an expert at braiding lines (I've spent over an hour on two occasions untangling lines prior to getting off the ground.) I'm to the point now where I've resorted to wrapping my port and starboard lines separately.

Thanks to all you guys and gals who've contributed to this forum and paved the way for us noobs! 

• Like 1

Wait until your daughter sees you do that in reverse; from the top of the window to a few feet off the ground :)

It's been a while since I've watched JB's line video, but if I remember right he mentions that everyone has their own method. Figure out what works for you and stick with it. I also believe there is a super experienced flier here that wraps his lines on two winders, I don't have any idea who it is.

As you probably already know, there's a ton of new flier help throughout the forums here. Check through this thread:

It has a boat load of new flier info and also shows progression from frustration to a big smile.

• Like 2