KiteLife Forum

Trip to Emerald Isle NC

Mikelp3586

The Southern Outer Banks is my home turf.  The local kite shop is Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach.  The kite club flies every Sunday morning at 9:00 in the summer at Fort Macon State Park.  That's a straight drive down the island.

Our annual kite festival is the last weekend in October.

The link DeafThunder had is for a shop on the Outer Banks in Kitty Hawk, NC.  That's about a 5 hour drive from where you will be.

We'll be in and out of town most of June but maybe the schedules will work and we can meet up.

BTW, we fly at the same location the quad clinic will held in Sept.

• Like 2

It's usually about 25-30 minutes down the island.  If visitor traffic is very heavy, you can add about 5-10 more minutes.  It's about 20 miles but the speed limit is 35-45 mph.  And don't try to speed because there are speed traps along the way.  We should be home from all our travels by then.

We fly at the point by what's left of the rock jetty.  Winds from any direction are flyable.  Northwest winds are the only ones that are difficult because of the Fort and the dunes.  But there's plenty of beach to move away from turbulence.

12 hours ago, photomom said:

turbulence

that is where I fly my kite most of the time ... inland. turbulence, 190 degree, yo-yo wind ... all in one ... on nearly every 3rd windy day ... take me there, I handle it ... I can not picture myself flying my Rev in a purest consistence windspeed, straightest line wind on a beach ... my kite will probably be more still-er than still, when hovering ... LOL

hardest I ever fly is flying a Rev and walking across under the very low twin spaced out highway bridges ... like only 1 time success out of 50 tries ... LOL ... of course, on a 50 ft line.

Sorry that I hijacked it ... because I am still fighting against turbulence wind

• Like 1