KiteLife Forum

Best way to clean kites and lines

crazy5

So after a weekend at the ocean my kites and lines are full of sand and salt. I'm assuming this is not a good way to store them , so, I know I've read about this subject somewhere before, probably in these forums somewhere, and I will go back and see if I can find them, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?

I'm guessing just soap and water on the kites. Spray out the leading edge and spars the best I can. I think I can soak the lines but I'm not exactly sure weather to just use water or soap and water.

I don't want to ruin anything so I'll wait for some answers weather I'm on the right track it not.

Thanks,

Jeff Kuney

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using KiteLife mobile app

I wouldn't worry about kite or the lines, I would think washing the kite or lines would just add unnecessary age and wear to both. Maybe wipe off dirty spot if any, but the sand can find its way out the same way it found its way in.

Salt is the major problem in flying at the beach! Crystals form as it dries and is very rough if looked at microscopically. I use this method - Take a hose and turn your nozzle to the gentlest spray setting. Rinse the kites and bridles well and sun dry. Take any spars loose that you can and clean them and the appropriate caps. If you can, rinse out any sand from the LE, but only if you can. Some have a tube that fits, others don't. Take your lines - winder and all - and soak it in clean water for a couple hours, flipping the whole thing over every now and then. Sand should collect in the container, the salt you'll never see. Shake out excess water and put inside a towel to dry.

Done!!

We fly every week or more on the beach.  Salt is not something we worry about.  We brush the sand off of the kites as we fold them up to put them away.  A couple of times a year we will empty all the kite bags, sweep sand out of them, check the kites for wear and sand, and then repack everything.

We have a very soft hand brush for sweeping sand off of kites and bags.  We've been doing it this way for years and haven't had any problems or damage.  

5 hours ago, photomom said:

We fly every week or more on the beach.  Salt is not something we worry about.

Depends on the beach....

When I'm at WSIKF it doesn't concern me because sea water almost never seems to get airborne there, and if it does it doesn't seem to reach the kite.

Back home I am on 50' lines and after 30 minutes everything is damp from the spray (limited space and that close to the water) so it's definitely a concern. I've done comparative testing rinsing one sail and leaving the other and there is a marked increase in the life of the rinsed sail.

All I do after flying is rinse and hang in the shower to dry.

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

my kites wear out from abuse not the environment they're flown in,

giving lessons is the surest way to shorten the lifespan of a sport kite!

and that is exactly why I carry some "beaters" with me - no way they are going to mess up my Pros!!

My beach procedure for two line kites is a bit different I suppose.  In the campground I usually have a hose with a spray nozzle set up.  When I come back to the campsite I lightly spray the kite thoroughly with fresh water.  Then I put it on some five meter lines & fly it in the street until dry.  Eight foot dualies are quite a handful on that length but the concentration required is mesmerizing.  Revs get a rinse & are laid out on the picnic table to dry as there is not usually enough room to fly on thirties until late at night.  Later, back at home, I hang them in the Kite Dungeon fully assembled for awhile.  There is sand from all over the country on that floor.  SHBKF

gallery_7709_404_1667391.jpg

• Like 1

Well....whoops happens.  If one of my kites goes in the ocean, I will wash it.  (Yes it's happened to me too.)  Spraying with a garden hose sounds like a good idea.  If you're like me and don't have access to a garden hose, the shower works too.  Just use cold water.  And, I don't use soap either.  Just rinse the kite with water and air dry.  

8 hours ago, dragonfish said:

Well....whoops happens.  If one of my kites goes in the ocean, I will wash it.  (Yes it's happened to me too.)  

Me three ... my mid vent. I was surfing the waves and ran out of talent at the wrong moment and got sucked in.

I was fortunate to only break a single spar in that episode while my kite got pounded in the surf zone and sucked back every time the waves retreated. Thankfully I was able to maintain enough line control and work with the waves long enough for a buddy to go charging knee deep into the water and grab the kite. I was seconds away from timing the waves, ditching the handles and making a mad rush for the kite in the hopes of covering the distance before the kite was drawn further out.

That sail got a good rinse and soak when I got home.

• Like 2