KiteLife Forum

Ebay Handles

KiteTastic

Ok take it easy on me when I use two ugly word's "china eBay". I'll start by saying, I love small business and I love Rev's! Just bought my second Rev and line set this week from my local kite shop. From what I gather there are two things you don't want to skimp on the, the sail, and the lines, but what about handles? I have one set of handles that came with my RTF, but I'd like to have a second set to fly with friends who don't have a kite. Plus the base Rev handles do snag occasionally so having a snag less handle would be nice.  I'm pretty handy and have thought about making a second set of handles since they seem so basic. First I thought I would see what else is out there so I checked eBay and came across these...

Handle 1

This one looks to be carbon fiber and snag less. Interesting design and the one I was most considering

Handle 2

Similar handle to the Rev but with a hole drilled through the aluminum at the end. 

Handle 3 

This last one seems to be a clear nock off of the Rev handle. Anyone know if the Rev handle is patented? If so I'll remove this one. 

I've not been flying very long so would love any feedback or thoughts on "third party" handles. If you've had any luck making your own handles I'd love to hear about that too!

Why not just get an authentic set from here in the states and get them a lot quicker? And support a kite shop in your region.  But to answer your question,  from just looking at the pictures,  any of those sets will work. Except the carbon fiber ones,  they're sold out.. Lol

Depending how handy you are, you could make your own. Buy some round stock 6061 Aluminum, cut to length, bore out holes and polish to remove burrs and edges, bend to proper angle, buy foam tube from a fishing supply website, cut to length, glue on with epoxy, make leaders from bridle line. If you're lucky enough to know someplace that could powder coat for you, you'll have great looking handles.

I do have everything I would need to make them... drill press, hack saw, pipe bender, but I also like the idea of just spending $20 and then spending the time I would use making it out flying:) I love making things I'm just limited on time with work this time of year. Any thought's on the handles I listed and why they would or wouldn't work?

16 minutes ago, hyzakite said:

I bought those handles from china, they came with a $79.95 kite, they are fine, the leader's knots are too far away from each other and the bottom leaders can be replaced with something smaller. I'm talking about Handles 3.

I figured I would have to adjust the Knots on anything I bought. Most of them look way to long on the bottom. How would you compare the performance or feel difference once you tweaked the knots and bottom string compared to the Rev handles?

Handles #2 would be my choice, however, they appear to come without any leaders. There are others listed on eBay that I've seen that are about the same and come with long top and short bottom leaders in close to the same price range. Look and you will probably find them. Pretty much any type will work. Stay with 13" handles until you become proficient with basic control of the kite. Later, you can try shorter and/or longer, but you will always have use for the 13" handles.

Handles #2 would be my choice, however, they appear to come without any leaders. There are others listed on eBay that I've seen that are about the same and come with long top and short bottom leaders in close to the same price range. Look and you will probably find them. Pretty much any type will work. Stay with 13" handles until you become proficient with basic control of the kite. Later, you can try shorter and/or longer, but you will always have use for the 13" handles.

Thanks for the tips! I'm still getting the hang of things. I'll keep looking at what you mentioned on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parts are parts, you already have handles, you don't need more handles. I do have different handles on different line sets, but I really don't need extra clutter.

I'm actually looking for a second set of handles for my other kite when I fly with friends who don't own a kite or if I can ever trick my wife into flying with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KiteTastic said:

I figured I would have to adjust the Knots on anything I bought. Most of them look way to long on the bottom. How would you compare the performance or feel difference once you tweaked the knots and bottom string compared to the Rev handles?

Rev Handles? Does rev even make handles? There isn't any performance or feel to compare, they are just handles. I can't feel a difference between 13" or these 14" handles. On a different note this year I finally took a pair of 15" no-snag handles out of the package and started using them, they "seem" to give me a nicer glide, but now it's just normal, however, I'm snagging these no-snags more than I ever did on regular handles, I'm also hitting my inner thighs with the no-snags, a little too close for comfort. I have some 9" and 11" handles that might feel strange flying with them now.

• Like 1

A second set is a spare and for friends - no biggie on it being exactly the same! Buy the one you like and fly more!!

PS: do you have stock handles with the "hog rings" still there? Watty made an excellent video on how easy it is to make them into no snags. I did many sets this way before going with regular no snags - no problem with them at all - costs about $3 bucks to do a set!! And a little time ....!

Anyone got the link to Watty's video? Think it is on Vimeo.

20 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Snag the cap? Never did that in many years of using the modified handles! Plus many of us fly with our thumbs either behind the top or on top of the handle and the vinyl acts as a cushion!

I am referring to the bottom cap ... thumb cap is ok :)

p.s. ... left over bubble gum doesn't help ? :P

45 minutes ago, DeafThunder said:

this is my handles I modified ... oh one more thing ... I modified it again ... shorter by cutting off ends about 1" off ... I never got a snag yet ... I LOVE IT !!!

Those look nice,  I like that!! You could still put the black rubber end cap on the handle ends. It would hide everything and clean it up nice. 

Looking closer at the pix - you have effectively made your handles about an inch longer using those screws/connectors.  Try moving your bottom lines closer to the handle and try the top lines as far out as you can go. Try launching - no go, let the bottoms out OR the tops in, but not both at once. You should find a happy place sooner or later.

I saw you tried another leader combo and were going to cut down the handles - Nice!!

• Like 1

you can make your own, do something different from what you have already too, either a shorter set for high winds or a much longer throw for no-wind conditions.

my no-wind special:Ti handles.jpg

I made a set of handles out of 19 inch titanium (grade 5-?), 3/8ths inch diameter tubes, bent 'em in a pipe bender, with all of the curvature located at the top and gradually straightening towards the middle on towards the bottom.  Added custom fishing pole grips and no snag modifications (Cut-down nail thru the holes, leaders threaded/larkesheaded onto the nail, covered edge of electrical tape and reusing the vinyl end-cap, rotated 90 degrees.  super light weight (less mass means easier to change directions), but still strong enough to be run over by a squad-car.

These are lighter in weight than a blank set of 13 inch no snags, even if you included a 120 foot set of 100# Skybond flying lines onto 'em.  An inch of thumb travel is sufficient to flip the kite entirely inside out on a 1.5 sized platform.  So you wanted to do slack lines and flail,... this is a free ticket to instant success.