KiteLife Forum

Getting into competition

kite-head

I was first introduced to dual line kites about 20 years ago. I was very interested in it for a couple of years and flew as often as I could before eventually setting this hobby aside to free up time for my other interests.

Well, about 8 years ago, I had been bitten by the kite bug again while looking at a friend Into the Wind catalogue at college. I ordered my own copy of the catalogue...then spent the next 8 months drooling over the pages. My pops suprised me that christmas with a Progressive Line - VooDoo (which I still love to fly). Again I flew when time and conditions permitted for a couple of years...and again my kite hobby got pushed to the back burner.

Since then I have gotten married, had a child, bought a house, taken on several more hobbies, and setteled into a great graphic arts career. So with my time at its most premium, I'll be if I didn't get bitten by that *!#* kite bug again. Only this time my reaction to the bite is more serious than it has ever been...I don't think there's any turning back now. I'm back out flying at every opportunity (even if it just 20 min. on my way to pick up my daughter from the babysitter), and my kite bag is growing (my wife gave me a Prism Flashlight for our anniversary, what a woman!)

Now I want to get into competition flying. And I guess what I'm asking (after the bit of my kite history) is for any advice on getting into the competition side of things (eg. things to consider for both technical and ballet, choreography, what to expect my first time, etc.). Any insight will be appreciated. ;)

Now I want to get into competition flying. And I guess what I'm asking (after the bit of my kite history) is for any advise on getting into the competition side of things (eg. things to consider for both technical and ballet, choreography, what to expect my first time, etc.). Any insight will be appreciated. ani_notworthy.gif

That's a mighty broad question, I must say... Not sure where to start myself.

Do you have a couple of "burning" questions that might help kick this off?

In some ways, I'm similiar, I've spent 10 years flying and have only recently gotten into competing. My initial recommendation would be to go to a festival and watch how it unfolds. Its straight forward and really, a lot of fun.

I've found that my fying skills have -really- sharpened just by simply learning the figures needed for precision.

:mf_swordfight:

Please forgive my "broadness", I suppose it would be much easier to kick this off if I asked more focused questions... :mf_swordfight:

Let me start by saying that I have yet to attend a Kite festival or competition, but I am eagerly looking forward to my first! Needless to say I'm really not sure what to expect...now that aside, let me start with a couple of questions that are more to the point.

I know precision routines are comprised of several compulsery figures and a technical routine. What type of maneuvers should I focus on for the technical portion of the routine? What are the different aspects that judges tend to look for in a technical routine?

What type of maneuvers should I focus on for the technical portion of the routine?

From a beginner's standpoint, using 8-10 compulsories that have not been selected for the three mandatory maneuvers at that event might be a good place to start... Choose a variety that show different skills, i.e. circles, corners, shapes, landings, stalls, etc.

Each maneuver you select for your freestyle should "flow" into the next, so that when you finish one it's not far to go for the beginning of the next one... If you do end up having to cross the sky to enter the next one, fill that space with something (stair steps, loops) to do while your kite is on it's way over there.

After awhile, you should be able to modify existing compulsories into variants of your own, thus lending distinctiveness and creativity to your score... You could even adapt some before hand, if you feel up to it.

What are the different aspects that judges tend to look for in a technical routine?

Demonstration of as many skills as possible... Within that, difficulty, variety, creativity, program, complexity.

I would recommend you check out these resources as well:

Rules Book - http://aka.kite.org/data/download/pdf/Spor...KCR_current.pdf

Judge's Book - http://aka.kite.org/data/download/pdf/Spor...KJB_current.pdf

Compulsories - http://aka.kite.org/data/download/pdf/Spor...KCB_current.pdf

(or http://aka.kite.org/iskrb_compfigs_v2.html for online viewing)

Field Directing - http://aka.kite.org/data/download/pdf/Spor...eldDirector.pdf

While you may not be judging right off, it certainly pays to absorb what it is that they are looking for... And reading their handbook will definitely help. As for the field director's handbook, they are your liason on the field... So it's important to know what they can do for you, and what their job is.

Another great resource for animated compulsories:

http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/index.html

I'd say to review some of these items, and come back with further questions. :mf_swordfight:

I found some competition manuals, and an introduction brochure at http://www.aka.kite.org/ by following the links: Table of Contents>Publications>Manuals>Getting Started as a Sport Kite Competitor. They are all printable as .pdf files.

That American Kiterfliers Association Website is a font of information. Glad I'm a member.

(Yes, John. My paid membership with KiteLife.com is next!) :mf_swordfight:

Kitepilot

Right on David, we'll be glad to have you on board. :mf_swordfight:

When you're ready, go ahead and use this link...

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?act=paysubs&CODE=index

It's the same link as Forum > "My Controls" > "Become a Kitelife Subscriber!"

This way it will automatically upgrade your status on the forum, and provide you with the 100MB of photo storage as well. ;)

Thanks for the resouce links, I will be going over that material for a few days...with a quick glance looks like some great info. :mf_swordfight:

Another thing has occured to me to ask...

I know that balet is a choreographed routine set to music, but do you fly to anything (music wise) when performing a precision routine?

You could in theory, and I've actually flown my quad precision with my ballet music playing in my ear phones... But, I didn't fly my ballet routine to it.

http://www.kitelife.com/videos/demo/wsikf2004_jb-bugs.htm

I don't use music during my precision as a rule... And certainly, music is not a part of the precision category.

Thank for fixing that login issue thingy... :mf_swordfight:

Since I am at work all I could do is watch it (no audio speaker on my work pc) But I'll have to check it out again when I get home.

I'll tell you what though after watching those quad videos, I think a REV 1.5 has moved near the top of my want list (if not at the top). Yup, I don't think there's any turning back now that I've had a peek at the dark side ;)

Sweet... Now, you do know... The kite in the "bugs" video is a Rev I, yeah?

That routine has done well for me over the last decade. :mf_swordfight:

1994 AKA National Champion

2004 AKA National Champion

Last time I went to a demo festival without that music, they almost tried to send me home! ;)

jbrevtada.gif

Topeka huh? I'd have to say that I'll be there. :blue-cool:

Man, I'm psyched for '06. Can't wait to start my first competitive season :sly:

BTW: John,

Thanks for the guidence. Those resources have helped alot. Now If I could just figure out how to schedual some practice time...

Sure did, well actually I found that link in the video forum. And you are right those are awesome. Very helpful, especially for the price.

Lately I've been studing my figures and doing alot of head flying, mostly because I have no available daylight to go fly in my schedule during the week. :blue-cool:

anyway, I'm also trying to piece together a technical routine and thinking about transitions, etc.

Gotta Go For now

Later

• 8 months later...

Ok...so just a little update consisting of good news and well, bad also.

The good news... I attended the Twisted Lines Kite fest in Topeka this summer and entered NIP comp. and took first! Great experience, I just wish there had been more competitors. The shocker here however, yesterday I received in the mail an invitation to compete at the Grand Nationals in Des Moins!!! I placed 1st in NIP for Central Conference. Apperently the Central conference needs more competitors and many more competition events! (more on that later). Now I will interject wtih the bad news... I will regretfully have to decline the invitation due to lack of available vacation and funds (just had to purchase a new van) :w00t::blushing::):censored::matrix:

Oh well...perhaps in the future, not next year though, got another little one on the way next spring....it does just go on and on doesn't it?

I do plan on attending future comps in NIP, NIB as well as novice quad events too.

Anyway, good luck to all those attending and competing this year hopefully I will have an opportunity to meet you all on the field in the future!

Chris