KiteLife Forum

Welcome Koobecaf Uoykcuf

I just got mine in the mail today. Excuse the odd set-up. I larks headed them to the knot inside the end caps closest to the handle, pushed them through the end cap and pushed them back down on the handles. Then I attached the lines. I will cut off the stock leaders when I feel comfortable performing surgery in my only handles :) Thought you might like to see the difference between stock leaders and John's.

ImageUploadedByKiteLife®1467772616.482405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Stock leaders are OK for bottoms. Too short for top.

The JB leaders are about 3 times longer for the tops. I got 3 sets, or 4 can't remember... The knots are spot on equal spacings. I won't tie my own anymore. Worth the investment.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

ImageUploadedByKiteLife®1467772616.482405.jpg

Why the extension on the bottom? Totally unneeded, it defeats the idea of a differential between top and bottom. John"s leaders came as a set - long on top, short on bottom - nothing else needed!

No, guys, you're looking at the stock leaders and TK's leaders as a side-by-side comparison in the picture.

As for cutting off the original leaders, I would make a knot close the end of the old leaders, also heat the cut ends to prevent fraying, then larkshead the new leaders on.

• Like 1

No, guys, you're looking at the stock leaders and TK's leaders as a side-by-side comparison in the picture.

As for cutting off the original leaders, I would make a knot close the end of the old leaders, also heat the cut ends to prevent fraying, then larkshead the new leaders on.

Yep, you're right. Sorry I read a bit to hastily.

That's what I do with mine, only I make the part that attaches to the handle about six inches long so I can grab the leaders instead of the line for catch and throw. Also the part attached to the handle wears out more quickly and when it's time to is more easy to replace, as opposed to tying all those knots. Mine are just a bit different than John's to accomodate home-made quads, otherwise I would be jumping all over the ones TK and John make. 

• Like 1

Why the extension on the bottom? Totally unneeded, it defeats the idea of a differential between top and bottom. John"s leaders came as a set - long on top, short on bottom - nothing else needed!

That isn't an extension on the bottom leader. It's the sleeving on the bottom line itself.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

21 minutes ago, Bill Clay said:

That isn't an extension on the bottom leader. It's the sleeving on the bottom line itself.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

Bill, I have to say I can't see any line attached to the bottom leader, I can see a line attached to the top leader, but the bottom leader at the top of the picture no, I know my eyes are going, I think I need a 60" screen! I can't imaging what people can see on a smart phone, I was looking on a 21" screen.

SO......I just ordered my new leaders off of JB :) I did make a set about 7 1/2 inches long to the farthest knot. The first knot starting about 4 inches out and flew a little today. No video of the Rev, but did get a couple of the Jazz I did get to fly today :) I started at the very farthest top knot and was able to launch and fly with no trouble. So I am sure longer ones are needed. Cant wait to get mine ! ! ! Also I believe launch is more comfortable for me also learning more on teasing the top lines. Even pulled off a reverse launch today in front of my son....he was impressed but not as impressed as I was that I was able to do it lmao. So here is an attatched pic of the leaders I made with the help of my wonderful girlfriend. Even made a line equalizer tool from a protractor and popcicle sticks.

line equalizer 20160709_001659.jpg

Handles with longer top leaders 20160709_001622.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koobecaf Uoykcuf said:

SO......I just ordered my new leaders off of JB :) I did make a set about 7 1/2 inches long to the farthest knot. The first knot starting about 4 inches out and flew a little today. No video of the Rev, but did get a couple of the Jazz I did get to fly today :) I started at the very farthest top knot and was able to launch and fly with no trouble. So I am sure longer ones are needed. Cant wait to get mine ! ! ! Also I believe launch is more comfortable for me also learning more on teasing the top lines. Even pulled off a reverse launch today in front of my son....he was impressed but not as impressed as I was that I was able to do it lmao. So here is an attatched pic of the leaders I made with the help of my wonderful girlfriend. Even made a line equalizer tool from a protractor and popcicle sticks.

line equalizer 20160709_001659.jpg

Handles with longer top leaders 20160709_001622.jpg

In picture, you can larkshead the white leaders onto the empty black leaders to see what range is usable while you're waiting for your new leaders to arrive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hyzakite said:

In picture, you can larkshead the white leaders onto the empty black leaders to see what range is usable while you're waiting for your new leaders to arrive.

Yes, and the black leaders will wear out first. These "extensions" are very easy to replace, and you don't have to tie all those knots. Of course if you get them from TK and JB, but still, it will extend the useful life of the knotted ones.

• Like 1

Forgotten if this is in the instructions with JB's leaders - but if you twist the loop end once or twice before feeding the rest back through, you can eliminate most of the movement that wears the leaders out ( ie - end moving back and forth over the end of loop). Forms a knot that locks the leaders into place! Haven't had mine too long to tell you it works, but inspection shows little wear so far. YMMV

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Forgotten if this is in the instructions with JB's leaders - but if you twist the loop end once or twice before feeding the rest back through, you can eliminate most of the movement that wears the leaders out ( ie - end moving back and forth over the end of loop). Forms a knot that locks the leaders into place! Haven't had mine too long to tell you it works, but inspection shows little wear so far. YMMV

True, Wayne, but there will definitely be some difference depending on which type of handle set-up you have, i.e., machined pro handles, home-made no snags, or original hog-ring. I find that the home-made no-snag are prone to put more wear on the leaders more quickly.

Really? I felt just the opposite, as I have several sets still working with the same leaders! Granted, they haven't been put through the same amount of use my true machined no snags have,  but they've held up remarkably well for almost 15 years! I find that the cap over the screw protects from sand and other abrasives from infiltrating and wearing them out! Again YMMV 

PS: are you larks heading them to the screw or just looping them around it? Larks heading seems to keep them from moving around as much!

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys. A LOT to tell ! First off, I love the leaders I got from JB ! TYVM ! I have been flying on the 4th knot in from the end the few times that I had wind since i got them in the mail. Had the first wind over 6mph today in a good month at least without lightning and thunder so I actually got to fly my REV some today. Most of the day of flying was done by my wonderful girlfriend. Her first day of flying. I set her up with the $5 dual liner made by The kite factory on 100ft lines. It is the purple, pink and yellow larger one in the pics on the first page that I got at the local thrift store.. There are a few nice things about letting her learn on this kite. #1, any hard crash just pulls the lower spars out of the leading edge connectors and does not break anything, #2 it flies slow and gives her plenty of time to react. #3 even if she does manage to break it, which I truly doubt that she will. It was only 5 bux. I will include a link to a video of her flying and crashing...I am so proud of her ! By the end of the day, she really has the concept of steering and a good feel of neutral and the wind window. GREAT FIRST DAY !

As for me flying my rev for the first time in I don't know how long, I wanted to practice my braking before I hit the ground and reversing back up enough to turn around and fly away. I will also include a video of some of that. Also got a better feel for just flight and hovering with this thing in general. the videos may not show it too well but I still have very few hours on this baby ! I do now realize something JB said in one of his videos about keeping those top lines pulled more tword you than the bottoms. Also the constant tugging on the handles to hover or maintain forward flight. Also how by using the pull technique from dual line flying in combination with braking to turn smoother. Although, if I am not mistaken. I can turn just by the pull technique. I was trying to do the slide by pulling one handle or the other, that is when I realized I can turn by doing so. I was also trying to practice hovering at an angle instead of just horizontal in the sky. I am still confused and don't understand the slide and hovering in the different angles. By the end of the day, I have much more of an understanding on how this beast is controlled in the air. And am more confident in my general flying and turning smoothly and maintaining smooth forward flight.

Now for some unbelievable news. My girlfriend and I went to a bunch of yard sales today. The very last one we go to, I see this mirror I really liked and asked the lady how much for the mirror, She says 5bux, I grit my teeth and give her the impression I didn't want it for 5 bux and continue to look around. I look over on a tarp they had laid out on the lawn with a bunch of items on it and see this long black bag that was tapered on one end and on the bag it says "ADDICTION" real large on it and beside that in smaller letters it says "by Premier" My eyes got real big, and I looked over at the lady again and said, "What is this?" She said "A Kite". My girlfriend walked over to me as I picked it up and I could hear the guy saying "it is a stunt kite"....And honestly as long as the bag was I was thinking it was a quad line. So I open the bag and pull it out on their lawn right in front of them and my girlfriend and I assemble and inspect it and it is like brand new. The bridle was somewhat tangled but easily undone and it was all there lines handles instruction book and all. I asked "How much do you want for it?" the guy said "How's 15 bux?" The lady said "If you buy the kite I will throw in the mirror for free. I said "will you take 10 for it?" He said "sure" The lady said "and you can still have the mirror." The guy told me that he only flew it a few times when he went on vacation and could not get the hang of it. I explained to him my whole story lol and even showed him my 2 liners that I had and keep put together in the back of my van.....(the Go-Fly-A-Kite one and the one from The Kite Factory. I also showed him the bag my rev was in. So ya.....I got a Premier Addiction dual line stunt kite and a nice heavy duty 30in square mirror for 10 freaking bux. I told the couple just like I will tell you.....I was happier than an old lady who just won the jackpot at bingo ! I flew it today and it was fast and flew like it wanted to over steer so I tried adjusting the bridal which after taking out one knot on the right side was still set to the factory setting. however after adjusting the bridal. I adjusted it too far and uneven and while adjusting seen that the adjustment knot (which I cant remember what it is called) is twisted in there somehow so it will not just slide up or downwards. So my girlfriend and I plan to redo the bridal knot tomorrow. And after searching here about the addiction, I found the thread about Addiction reviews and now realize I should have just left it at factory setting. But ya.....I am now the proud owner of a Premier Addiction stunt kite also. Here is the pic of it in my kitchen. Also Here is the link to the video on my youtube of me flying it 

Here is the video of my wonderful girlfriend on her first day of flying. 

Here are the videos of me practicing my braking and flying away. 

Enjoy guys. I will keep updating. And a Big thanks to you JB ! For the awesome leaders and for this awesome site. 

20160806_144231.jpg

• Like 3

Back after a month of flying I suppose? Welcome back and congrats to your Premier Addiction budget purchase!

1 hour ago, Koobecaf Uoykcuf said:

I found the thread about Addiction reviews

Do you mean http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/1640-premier-addiction-reviews/ ?

1 hour ago, Koobecaf Uoykcuf said:

flew like it wanted to over steer

In the above mentioned topic "Home>Site>Topics>Kite Models>Reviews>Premier Addiction reviews?" Fast EDDY recommends punch turns (to address over steer I assume). For my Fazer XL, the only kite with much over steer that I got, I can do square turns by doing push turns and at the exit of the turn pull both lines. Perhaps this would work for the Premier Addiction as well?

• Like 1

@Koobecaf Uoykcuf

That knot on the bridle of the Premier Addiction that you mentioned is called a Prusik knot. It is just a bit confusing the first time you play with it. Google it first and watch a video of how it is meant to work before you go changing it. It is very commonly used in kiting to make the lengths of bridle legs quickly and easily adjustable.

• Like 1