KiteLife Forum

Welcome Koobecaf Uoykcuf

That Prusik(sp) knot is for locking in your adjustments on the bridle. It actually uses some of the bridle line to help form it and hold it in place. Try this - grab the bridle on both sides of the knot and pull. The knot if done right, should loosen up and be movable. There should be marks on the bridle that are the adjustment range for the kite. Move both sides to the same position relative to the marks. Be sure to milk the knot back down to the same shape it was in to start , it should end up looking like a smooth double loop with the bridle trapped inside. if it isn't smooth, pull the bridle again to loosen and try again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

@Koobecaf Uoykcuf

That knot on the bridle of the Premier Addiction that you mentioned is called a Prusik knot. It is just a bit confusing the first time you play with it. Google it first and watch a video of how it is meant to work before you go changing it. It is very commonly used in kiting to make the lengths of bridle legs quickly and easily adjustable.

@makatakamI have studied this  Prusik knot extensively as my first kite the Go Fly A Kite one, Did not have it or a pigtail. So my girlfriend and I had to make pigtails and undo the bridle and do the prusik knot. I just forgot the name. It is easy to adjust just by pulling taught the bridal line and sliding the pigtail up or down accordingly. I believe I explained that correctly lol. However on this Addiction, the prusik knot has a twist where it wraps around the bottom of the pigtail and continued back up the other side of the pigtail to finish wraping around the pigtail. Difficult to explain for a noob lol. But it is impossible to just pull the bridal line taught to undo the prusik knot. so you can slide the pigtail You have to actually pull the knot apart and feed the line through little by little and take up the slack as you do. It does not just slide like it should because of the weird twist or extra wrap whatever it is. 

48 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

That Prusik(sp) knot is for locking in your adjustments on the bridle. It actually uses some of the bridle line to help form it and hold it in place. Try this - grab the bridle on both sides of the knot and pull. The knot if done right, should loosen up and be movable. There should be marks on the bridle that are the adjustment range for the kite. Move both sides to the same position relative to the marks. Be sure to milk the knot back down to the same shape it was in to start , it should end up looking like a smooth double loop with the bridle trapped inside. if it isn't smooth, pull the bridle again to loosen and try again.

@Wayne DowlerI just replied to Makakam before reading your post. The way you describe it is impossible to do with the twist or extra wrap whatever it is. I will see if I can get a picture of it undone to post on here. The only thing I would like to add is the bridal was set to the factory setting with only a black mark on the bridal line. I did try to adjust it at first to acomidate for the massive pull i had in the wind gusts. and this is when I found that the bridal would not adjust like my other kites. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Are both sides the same? Sounds like the pigtail has wrapped itself around, making it hard to adjust! Check both sides to see if it is the same!

Yes sir both sides are the same. I believe it is wrapped wrong around the bottom of the pigtail before it wraps back up around to complete the prusik knot. I will pull one side apart tomorrow and take pictures and possibly a video. you can clearly see something is not right.

• Like 1

Based on the video - I think I have it. Take it all loose, then double larkshead the pigtail to that bridle line, keeping the black mark in the center of the knot. Pretty simple - just pass around the bridle line twice - or I call it a double loop.The double larkshead forms the Prusik knot when pulled tight and should lock itself in place. Then just regular larkshead that first bridle line to the pigtail. Now when you need to adjust - pulling the bridle line tight SHOULD loosen the knot, slide to adjust, then retighten the knot.

• Like 1

I will try that with a regular piece of string and a another pigtail that I make a couple of times so that I make sure I am doing it properly before I actually do it to the kite I thought there was a way that you could do this without removing the bridal line from the center T and Leading Edge because this kite does not come apart like the other ones I have at least with any ease I will let you know how it turns out and thanks Wayne and everyone else for the tips and advice I really appreciate it

@Wayne Dowler I just used two of my wonderful girlfriends hair ties to simulate the bridal line and the pigtail and now I understand exactly how to do it I will be able to fix it when I get home thanks Wayne you have been a big help I figured there was a way to do it without un attaching the bridal line. Basically you just take the pigtail wrap it around twice before you pull it through itself and snug it down and milk it into place. Thanks again Wayne I will let you know when I get home and have it fixed

• Like 1

The knot you showed us in the photos is called a Sheet Bend, basically a Square Knot with a crossed over leg. It is made to lock into position and stay locked until you put tension on the correct leg. It can be used instead of a Prusik, as long as the leg that loosens it is not the one that carries the most tension. However, the Prusik is much easier to adjust, even though it can sometimes loosen itself unintentionally and should be checked frequently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, makatakam said:

The knot you showed us in the photos is called a Sheet Bend, basically a Square Knot with a crossed over leg. It is made to lock into position and stay locked until you put tension on the correct leg. It can be used instead of a Prusik, as long as the leg that loosens it is not the one that carries the most tension. However, the Prusik is much easier to adjust, even though it can sometimes loosen itself unintentionally and should be checked frequently.

That is very interesting because that is exactly what it seems to be. one leg is crossed over. Perhaps it was done intentionally by the company then however I would rather have the Prusik I think.

1 hour ago, Koobecaf Uoykcuf said:

@Wayne Dowler I just used two of my wonderful girlfriends hair ties to simulate the bridal line and the pigtail and now I understand exactly how to do it I will be able to fix it when I get home thanks Wayne you have been a big help I figured there was a way to do it without un attaching the bridal line. Basically you just take the pigtail wrap it around twice before you pull it through itself and snug it down and milk it into place. Thanks again Wayne I will let you know when I get home and have it fixed

Try going thru the loop in the pigtail twice, rather than 2 wraps and thru. Think it's a bit more effective that way! So it's go thru once, go thru twice, pull and milk as you go tighter! Think it will release easier too! 

Had to try both with some line - go with how I described it - more effective and it releases much better! So attach the pigtail by going thru itself twice, then milking it down as you tighten! 

Good Luck and report how it goes!!

• Like 2

After watching your (most excellent) video, I realize that it was not actually a standard sheet bend. Instead it is a variation with a double loop and then the sheet bend finish for locking the knot. Probably the result of a Prusik that went south while being tied. It interests me and may useful in other locations in some circumstances.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys.....I could not be prouder. With a little instruction, My 10 year old daughter is getting the hang of the dual liners. 

Here is a video of her very first solo launch and flying with just a little of my help. 

And here is a video of her very first self launch and solo flight from launch to crash.

And by the end of the day, she insisted she learn how to do loops.

I AM SO PROUD !

• Like 4

I think, for children's activities in general to really "take off" or get an extra boost, they need to do it with their friends by themselves. And this is something, as a parent, that you can't really control - offering opportunities at maximum. The alternative is the weekly, planned and often paid sports activity, that often requires the adults help every time - this is quite far from kiting. But I do recognize how proud one can be when I see my youngest daughter piloting any of of my duals.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...