KiteLife Forum

Rev Kite Spinning

Nigel GF

I recently bought a  John Barresi 1.5 REV, but the kite will constantly spin as soon as it is launched and is very difficult to control, I have been flying my Revolution 1.5 for a while now and have no trouble controlling it,it fly's really well, but the JB 1.5 version just seems so unstable, as so as it is launched the slight's touch on the handles and it goes into a clock wise spin and no matter what I do it won't stop spinning the only way to stop it is to land it.

I have looked at all the bridle and frame all seems ok,I use the flying lines and handles on my Rev 1.5 so they are all ok, I am completely baffled by it,the kite was bought from a Revolution Kite dealer (GOKITES) so it is a genuine John Barresi (waited 2 months for it from the States) I suppose it doesn't help that I am not an experienced Rev flyer.

I was wondering if there is anybody in the UK that I can send it too, to fly it and hopefully sort the problem out (I live in Somerset) I would obviously pay for the return carriage on the Kite.

Thanks Nigel

I thought I read something about a spinning rev recently, it was the exact same question Nigel posted over a month ago on the rev forum. So my question is, has the kite been attempted to be flown again since then? I still think it was in setting up the lines on the kite and putting the brake lines on top and the power lines on the bottom or the right handle in the left hand.

Try setting up the kite again and fly it.

I think the next step is to put both kites side by side and measure all of the points of each bridle, making sure the end caps to bridle connections are the same on each kite, no part of the bridle tucked around the back of the kite or wrapped around the bungee knots somehow.

If all seems normal between the measurements of each kites bridle you can always switch bridles to see the good flying kite now spins and the 1.5b flies correctly.

Got to believe something is wrapped or tangled. Something not easily seen at a glance. Common is a line pigtail getting wrapped - either around itself or twisted in the bridle somehow and knotted funny. That or a really off bridle! Never had one though, myself! And I've flown a bunch of Revs!

Pigtails can get wrapped as you put things away. Anyway - it's a place to start. Just make sure everything is coming off the sail/frame "cleanly". Caps are not oriented to have the bridle under one bunjii and over the other. Symmetrical.

• Like 1

I'm thinking, if his other rev 1.5 is flying nicely, why would you change body posture to fly a different rev 1.5, or even equalize the lines, only to unequalize the lines back to fly the other kite that is currently fine? Or once equalized will the currently good flying kite start spinning out of control only counter-clockwise?

The Rev is a flat platform, it would have to be *obviously* uneven during sail manufacturing to create such an issue, or possibly a mid-tied bridle... All good troubleshooting starts with squaring off the lines, clearing the bridle loops, making sure bridle is evenly ties and matches others (1.5 bridle are all same spec)... Also maybe try folding the sail in half to make sure the wings are symmetrical. ;)

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 3:48 PM, John Barresi said:

The Rev is a flat platform, it would have to be *obviously* uneven during sail manufacturing to create such an issue, or possibly a mid-tied bridle... All good troubleshooting starts with squaring off the lines, clearing the bridle loops, making sure bridle is evenly ties and matches others (1.5 bridle are all same spec)... Also maybe try folding the sail in half to make sure the wings are symmetrical. ;)

this troubleshooting is what I made my Rev 1 to love me more ... 

Before troubleshooting begins, Rev 1 hate me and I was about to throw it to eBay, because I can not steer/control Rev 1 for at least a month and I had it on "for sale" in here for few days then "BAM" found out that the bridle was the major problem ... I thought that factory settings (normally) should be ready to fly as normal ... those troubleshooting made my Rev 1 to love me with its own heart and I love Rev 1, too, more ... no longer for sale :)

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, Nigel GF said:

Yes,I have flown the Kite since then,and still the same problem.

I've noticed in both forums there are several suggestions for you to try, what suggestions have you tried so far and what suggestions haven't you tried yet?

I also noticed your other rev is a 1.5sle vented, the 1.5b shouldn't be flown in the same wind speeds your use to with the vented, things will come much too fast.

Before you know it your kite will be 2 months old and fly no different than the first day you got it, let's go through these suggestions and get it flying right!

I would like to see some pictures of your handles and its leaders.

Remember you're not the only one that wants to know that it's flying right, everyone who responded from both forums are waiting for some good news from you.

• Like 2

I set up a kite today and didn't think about the lines/handles too much, just a few twists at the handle ends, I knew just a few untwists and flip the handle through the others lines. I flipped the kite over and took off.

It went into an uncontrollable clock-wise spin, I got a chuckle out of it and have to post it before I continued flying.

I tried it again and guess what? Yep another uncontrollable clockwise spin.

Now I'm wondering how to get an uncontrollable counter-clock wise spin!

8 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

Dogstaking is where the kite lines are run around or through something so you face into the wind to fly. Usually the kite is in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

. . . . and from this point of view will be spinning counterclockwise.

10 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

Dogstaking is where the kite lines are run around or through something so you face into the wind to fly. Usually the kite is in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

before that "dogstaking" ... I know what dogstaking is ... read the comments before "Yes! dog staking!" & "is this a riddle ?" ...then finally someone yelled, "Yes! dog staking!" ... so I asked ... ok, ok, ok ... let me rephrase it ... was that a riddle ?

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

. . . . and from this point of view will be spinning counterclockwise.

it won't be if you switch the handles

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, good new's I think I have finally sorted the Kite,check all lines and made sure all the lines and bridle are equal.

Flew it today and seems to fly now with out spinning,it was quite a strong gusting wind so the Kite seemed very nervous while it was flying.But could be kept under control with out it spinning.

Thanks for everybody's advice as it has been very helpful.

Nigel

• Like 3