KiteLife Forum

A Newbie

Ritlee

I was able to fly in a little bit stronger winds last night, about 12mph according to google. It was a big difference, I suspect the kite would have launch directly to zenith, if I let it, and at zenith wouldn't stall out like it normally does.

It's kind of amazing the difference ~4mph makes on this kite, and the power was awesome.

I could really use some wheels now.

• Like 2

I know it's rare to hear this from an online source but from my perspective (and I DO fly powerkites a lot) you're doing everything properly.., You're starting smartly, exploring your kite's flying characteristics fully and learning ALL aspects of the wind window. Take your time, especially on the middle east hard pack.. It hurts when you hit it. It's not beach sand or soft grass

One aspect of power kites is they tend to like to keep forward motion. The launching issue you are talking about is very common when launching larger sails in lower winds. You can fly a fixed bridle foil in winds below it's range once you get it aloft. That pause or lull on launch is the sail stabilizing internal and external pressure and inflating fully. As it inflates, it tends to stop forward motion.. An additional secondary pull on the handles is usually all it takes but as you get around the 3.5m to 4m size you'll naturally turn left or right to the path of least resistance to impart forward motion on the kite. As the foil moves forward it can create what we call its own apparent wind. At that point as long as you keep your turns smooth, keep the kite going forward, you can fly it until the winds is zero.. you can then do a 360 or two before packing it away.  As you get into higher aspect kites like a HQ Crossfire, HQ Toxic or PL Voltage that launch turn and burn will become second nature to you.. WAtch out though, if winds are higher, the shot to zenith from launch can indeed launch you. The pause won't happen and it will surprise you if you aren't ready for it.. that environment is a very tough place to learn that particular lesson.

A few cautions,, in a gust prone environment, avoid parking the kite at or near zenith. A sudden gust will impart a lot of lift on the kite and you'll be several feet off the ground before you remember to let go.. Then you are going to be learning the hard way how to redirect your kite and minimize landing impact.. A 4M kite is big enough to easily get you airborne but not enough sail to provide float and a safe landing.. Most advanced jumpers use an 8M or higher.. Minimum size in ideal soft landing conditions would be a 5M.

One other small word of advice.. Powerkites are meant for traction.. They are a blast to fly static but they are geared for motion. I know it's hot but consider some protective gear, knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet. A simple bicycle helmet is better than nothing.. Protect that brain. It's the only one you have.. Welcome to powerkiting, have fun but most importantly fly safely!!

Oh, Thank You for Your Service!

• Like 2