• Chrome
  2. 2. Why this one? (#1 reason)

• More stable
    • Easier to use
    • Better display
    • Less vulnerabilities
    • Haven't tried any others

How about linux on a laptop?

A long way to go there for sure. Wireless connectivity is not easy. Especially if you want to use wpa instead of wep for security.

I'm an experienced computer user and programmer since Apple ][ days, however this summer was the first time I've tried linux on a laptop. I tried several distros. None supoorted sound, screen resolution or wireless out of the box.

Much tweaking got sound and screen to work.

Never got WPA to work.

Never got it to sleep or hibernate correctly and consistently.

I would love to use linux, but it's not ready.

Mandriva 2k6 works perfect here except for wpa (which I hate anyways) on 3 laptops.

Different epxeriences heh.

... except for wpa (which I hate anyways)

Why? WEP is too easy to crack.

Because anything worth securing shouldnt be on a network to begin with. I dont use wep or wpa.

If someone is going to take the time to crack my wireless, they wont be getting much info particularly since my router locks down to mac and is as secure as it can be with current technology.

Either way, there are 8 other completely unsecured networks on my block. 2 of which I was able to get in via samba in seconds.. one guy is apparently a big shot architect as well. Hackers would have fun over there rather than browsing my record collection archive, studio archives, cad archives or start up their own xserver to browse the web or play quake III.

lol

Because anything worth securing shouldnt be on a network to begin with. I dont use wep or wpa.

:censored: What a Linuxian attitude. That coupled with the occasional agony trying to get it going under Linux especially if you have to deal with pc cards or usb on a notebook...or, X windows on an unsupported card. Or firewire in any situation.

seriously tho, for me, it doesnt really matter that much, all 3 platforms have their strengths and weaknesses and I have to deal with all 3 extensively on any given day. They all work, which is one thing the Internet brought to the world in general, decent interoperability between platforms. 10 years ago, that certainly wasn't the case.

Much like in kite discussions, if I had to go down to one single machine, it'd be a Powerbook. Then I have my unix, and I have a pretty front end. And a dead simple machine to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Use Maxthon

Tab browser, which on a slow internet connection is a real bonus. Can keep pages up that I want to view and flick back and forth.

The only pages I have ever had trouble with has been the occasional banking site and other with encryption.

Well I completely uninstalled firefox and quicktime, then got the newest versions of both, it still didn't work, so i went to a firefox fourm, and found a thread about someone with the same problem. So I did what they did. I went into the firefox program files and manually deleted the quicktime plugins and Success!! :kid_content: for some reason the automatic plugins caused the problem, Horray, now I don't need IE any more. Thanks for your suggestion though Rob, i appreciate it .

• 6 months later...

My 2 cents...

I use Firefox, and IE as a backup when Firefox chokes on a page that's IE optimized. It is my job to make sure things run smoothly on over 2,000 workstations, and they are all using IE :) (spyware nightmare). It is hard to deploy Firefox (or anything else) into the business world, because it requires retraining. My users are lucky to know which button does what on the mouse, let alone understanding the concept of a different web browser. I don't have the time to mess around with anything else, FF & IE work for me, and I haven't found a good reason to load more software on my machine.

So, after reading through the other posts, Computer Geekery looks to be alive & well at Kitelife ! I was wondering what happened to all my computer club buddies...

~Rob.

• 4 years later...

(Only five years late for this Poll. Another Topic dredged up from the murky past by the Newbie. Check the dates on the other posts in this topic before you decide you need to respond.)

I use Safari because (as someone else noted) it came installed on my Mac. I chose "easier to use" as being easier than deciding on which browser I LIKED best and switching to it.

One note: I ran across one web site where the owner had a real HATE for Safari. As some of you may know, you can design a website so that it shows things differently depending on which browser you are using. This guy had set his website up so that if you tried to access it with Safari, all it would show for each page was the text: "GET A REAL BROWSER. I REFUSE TO WRITE MY WEBSITE SO IT WILL WORK WITH SAFARI."

I actually have three other browsers installed on my Mac: Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. I also have those three installed on my Win 7 computer in addition to MS-IE 8. I expect to add newer versions of IE one of these days.

I use Firefox for general browsing and work, Chrome runs Hulu and heavy processes on my 2nd monitor.

Chrome on Mac hasn't been updated in FOREVER, and it still irks me greatly (like no sidebar bookmarks).

Now and then I pull out Safari for site testing, and totally gave up on IE for Mac as it really, really sucked.