KiteLife Forum

WTB pretty much any beginner stunt kite

Hi! I've been learning the basics of dulies on a $20 Amazon kite (here, silly video and  I'm not doing any tricks but at least you can see the kite!). It was a great purchase and I'm now totally hooked on flying. 

I can usually side and snap stall and axel it and I am pretty sure I'm at the point where I'm not going to immediately trash a proper stunt kite, and would love to upgrade. I'm on a pretty darn right budget at the moment though.

I think I can squeeze some more experience out of this kite (I can get it on its back so maybe a lazy Susan or something). However, if anyone has a step up for (ideally) less than $100 CAD (I am in Victoria , BC) I'd love the chance to try a previously loved kite :)

I've don't tonnes of research on kites but haven't flown any OPKs so it is hard to compare proper stunt kites to this little one. As long as the kite isn't too huge I'm sure I'll love it to death!

Thanks for reading!

Chris

• Like 2

Not a big dualie flier - but do have this comment - Get Over Some Grass!! Cement and asphalt will eat your kite up fast! Wears the leading edge and any tip connectors right out! And while you are at it - let out the lines! Fly it on as long a lines as you can, in the space you have. Makes it so you have more time to respond to the kite's needs.

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement and tips! There is a promise of ok wind at a grassy point near the house today so I'll take it out there this afternoon.  I still don't have much luck tricking it out on longer lines without feeling like the kite gets sluggish in responding though!

That little kite is holding up well for having taught my whole house (5 of us) to fly from 0 experience! Sure surprised me!

• Like 1

Most likely the lines are dacron and have massive amounts of stretch. Dilutes your commands or at least takes way more time to get there. With your next kite - try to get some spectra lines with it. Almost NO stretch, very slick, long lasting too. Get some fixed length lines with good straps and they are interchangeable with any kite!

Rewatched the video - I'd bet my life on those lines being dacron!

• Like 1

Thanks! If buy new (from Kiteland.ca which is local) I was thinking of getting the HQ limbo, or the Salsa ii which come with dyneema lines. My other option was the Quantum which comes with spectra. It looks like they have spectra lines in stock if I do find a used kite.

Just got back from the point, not enough wind to get off the ground but pretty day at least!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Happyspoon said:

Thanks! If buy new (from Kiteland.ca which is local) I was thinking of getting the HQ limbo, or the Salsa ii which come with dyneema lines. My other option was the Quantum which comes with spectra. It looks like they have spectra lines in stock if I do find a used kite.

Just got back from the point, not enough wind to get off the ground but pretty day at least!

Get the Quantum -- trickable and nearly indestructible. Stay off the concrete and asphalt, at least until you can avoid frequent contact. Pavement shreds the nose, leading edge sleeves, tips and spine, and also makes it very easy to break spars.

Hi Happyspoon,

A lot of people are using the Widow NG in clinics and lessons. They are by Premier kites.

These folks are getting Very good using this kite to train.

The Kite Shoppe has them for a Good price.  Just google her.  She ships .  

Mr. Barresi may have one?  not sure.

I have never tried one but heard a lot about them.  Very good for a nice price.