KiteLife Forum

Quad tricks I think I created?

audioRob

ok, now that my Rev I is enhanced (it's MUCH nicer to fly and...) I had a lot of time with it today. Good 7 hours of pure flying in perfect rev winds. 8-12mph varying through the day.

Being as Im not a precision guy, I've never cared for it (it bores me), Ive set out figuring out how to do some tricks with my rev I. And here's the stuff I figured out and can do realiably as of today:

1. Rev Axel: I think this one is pretty well known. Start with kite in any direction and get a 360 flat spin.

2. Rev Flic-Flac: Any direction, Bottom flips up then back down (well, not if it's upside down :blue-cool:

3. Rev Fade: Ive seen this done and figured it out myself. Do a flic-flac with the kite oriented normal, Top lines come inside the "wings" and the kite floats in this inverted position. Entry and exit are clean and can enter this directly from an axel or a...

4. Rev 540 & 900 flatspins: Kite flies down then snaps into a flatpsin (FLAT) for 1.5 or 2.5 rotations, exiting upwards, With some luck and lots of trying I managed to exit it perfectly into a rev fade. Like an axel but half to one and a half more rotation.

5. Rev Half axel: Flying side to side, does a half-axel exactly like a dual-line does. Leading edge "pancakes" and exits in the opposite direction. I need to get rid of the knots on my rev, they catch occasionally on this trick. Otherwise it's consistant.

6. Rev cascade (not precision style): Multiple halfaxels. I did this twice without catching the knots. One with 4 iterations (or "rungs) and one with 6. Both ended because I caught on the lines. VERY VERY physically demanding trick. A lot of running and huge arm movements from BIG pull to tons of slack very quick.

7. Rev comete (I prefer to call it "tumbler"): Rev half-axel interupted by a flic-flac that exits sideways. Looks a heckuva lot like a dual-line comete. Also catches the knots very easy. One iteration wasnt too hard, I managed 2 in a row once followed by the knots grabbing my lines.

8. Rev Barrel Roll: Me and my partner for the day (drew) have this one down like clock work (forgive the pun). Very tight spin that ends with the kite doing one full rotation with the leading edhe perpendicular to the flier. Much like the airbow version but slower.

9. Rev Backspin (I prefer to call it the "whirly bird"): In a fade, ripping one line very hard causes the kite to spin close to the axis of the leading edge but it modulates. Can keep it going like a dual-line backspin.

10. Rev Helicopter throw: Throw with 3-4 spins before catching it on the lines. Only in low wind

11. Rev Helicopter Catch: Same but catching it with your hand. Only in low wind.

4-11 I've never seen done, nor can I find any reference to people doing them. But Im sure with all the amazing rev pilots out there they've been done. Im really proud of myself for figuring them out and getting these down. There's about 4 others Im working on but not enough daylight today for me to get them to the point where I feel confident saying I can do the trick.

Yes I know everyone is going to ask for video, dont have a video camera and Im working on it. The irony of it all is fabulous :sly: If you cant figure out how to do any of the tricks Ill post an explanation.

I should note that the Rev I tricks WAY better than the 1.5. Stuff that was hard to repeat reliably, shakey or looked dangerous on the 1.5 was solid, repeatable and beautiful on the rev I.

Almost all these tricks required a lot of physical movement. I caught myself covering about 20 ft of ground per half-axel in 10mph winds. Getting a 900 flatspin required a very strong pull followed by running BACKWARDS at full speed (to keep light tension on the lines else it will dive and become unrecoverable).

One of the tricks I was working on as the sunset I simply couldnt get down because I couldnt run fast enough to keep slack on the lines haha. Ill figure it out, most of the tricks got easier as I figured out better combonations of movements (simple half-axel takes 6 movements not including giving and taking up slack).

Shower time! Im covered in sand

That's pretty sweet Rob... I can't wait to see some video. :blue-cool:

You'll see in saskc for sure at least :sly:

Once giskc is over, Ill know how much spare $$ I have left over to blow on a video camera. I already sent out some mails to see if anyone at giskc will have one that I could dl the video to my laptop to out on the field after getting some shots. I wanna get the rev tricks, my wap-do-copter and asteroid (wardley trick) on video.

Have some 3d renderings as well.. but no good hosting

rob, Nice job :sly: ...I didn't even know the Rev's could do that many tricks!! B) ..How was the Rev 1 "enhanced"...Was this info on a separate thread?....also, what length and wt lines were you using in the 8-12mph winds?...and, We want Video :blue-cool:

kram...kitelife subscriber #5

There's 4 more I must get down, and I have about 10 more in my head, including one Im sure will take me a month or more (which is saying a lot because I learn extremely quick).

I first started by tweaking the 1.5 to death. NONE of this is reliably possible without the rev sticks except the axel. (I could be wrong on flic flacs, but I sure as hell cant do it nor can see how anyone else can reliably). Attached lines right to the ends of the downspars with a center support on the top.

Check the other quad sticks thread for info on how I made my own.

My handles are 24" length, most of this stuff also is probably impossible with smaller handles. Im moving up to 30" tommorow. I fly on 55ft lines for tricking, seems to be best. Too much of a window kinda dulls the experience and makes catches and throws a little less exciting.

After a while with the rev 1.5 I moved to the rev I with no mods other than the quad sticks. I need to push the sticks down a bit more (hammer and box wrench time! LOL :blue-cool: ) and I think I like the LE with more curve, it makes flat spins cleaner and flic-flacs are tigher and faster with the center line tighter. I used the standard bridle.

And no one wants video more than me, im giddy like a school girl. My digital camera takes crappy quicktime video. If there is (there will be it looks like)good winds tommorow Im going to see how the video looks.

I have some other ideas for my 1.5. I just designed a turbo bridle for it that should greatly enhance the "tumbler" and allow some more dynamic stuff. I managed to get a sorta "lazy susan" of sorts, only in name because the kite lies in the opposite direction of the rev fade and spins slightly tilted on its back. Right now I cant do it well because it required 4 pulls (top-left then quick soft bottom-right, top right then quick soft bottom-left for each rotation). Problem is as the kite turns the bridle doesnt retain its symmetry. From what im envisioning the new bridle should allow the rev to be somewhat more easilly controlled when it's away from you (LE pointed at you)

Wish I had a vented rev. I bet 99% of this stuff would be way easier if the wind could pass through the sail... after giskc im placing my order for some more kite making materials so watch out!

Im babbling now :sly: Of course once I get stuff working ill share it with the kitelife folks.

Ok, here is one for you.

Has anyone creeated a stanced Rev. indoor 360?

I thried it this morning and I could do it clockwise, but I couod not do it counterclockwise.

I mean standing on spot starting the kite out (this time) faciing Right on tip, in front of me and keeping it low to the ground as I do the 360. I seem to be doing ok, but don't know what my hands are doing right yet in order to perform it to the left.

Anyone have this move down pat? Want to give me some hand directions? I'll have to pull out the darn video camera/tripod and go capture what I'm doing on video, so I can see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. It will look awesome once I can do it on purpose everytime. For me that takes figuring out what my hands, and arms are going to be doing. hmmmmm.. I can't wait!!!

BB

Penny

We figured out 2 new tricks today :w00t:

1. Rev straight : Even in high winds, have the kite from any position flatten out and shoot right at you (rather than fall on you) On 55ft lines I could do it reliably in 15mph winds tonight. Requires a weird setup though.

2. Rev multi-axels: I didnt figure this out, nor can I do it yet, but drew figured it out tonight. One axel followed seamlessly by extremely fast axels. First graceful semi-flat axel into a really mad semi-flatspin that spins much quicker than any 'normal' rev movements. It was insane to watch.

Also got a lot better at half-axels and the rev comete tonight. And I spent a good 15 minutes putting my lines 50% past a light pole then walking around it and dogstake-style flew just using the light pole. Walked it back out and kept flying.

Lots of fun.

Going out to practice the rev comete (which Im going to call the 'shooting star' from now on). I need longer lines haha. Normally fly on 50-60 now and that's only 3 rungs of the trick intro a crash :P

The rest of the tricks I can do no problem. This morning I was dogstaking in my front yard with a fence pole and figured out a slot-machine style trick. Half-axel that stops and does a flatspin in the opposite direction. Exact same setup as the rev straight catch except rather than pulling both hands back hard, you pull one hand bottom hard, opposite hand top keeps tension and slack the rest till rotation completes.

I think I can explain the half-axel now too. All you people please give it a try next time you're out:

Kite on it's side, LE to your Right. Right hand will be forward and left hand back as usual for holding this position. Quickly Pull the right hand back and left hand forward then strongly tug the bottom right line followed by A LOT of slack. The left (top) of the kite will fall to the right, the LE will flare out slightly. Right at this moment give a pop with the top left.

Should end about 1/2 kite length lower and facing in the opposite direction. depending on the length of your handles is how far the LE will flare out. For a 'clean' and flat half-axel you need handles that are from point to point (no curve) 1" longer than the distance between tow points. It is a delicate maneuver at first because my first tries ended up with the kite falling out of the sky during the flat portion of the move. Eventually I learned to keep a soft tension on the lines while still giving enough slack.

You can link them together for a rev cascade with no problems once you get it. Very cool looking and manic trick :) 3-4 of them linked meant running about 80ft forward in 8-10mph winds last night. When it lept up to 15ish I gave up with the cascade hehe :)

So far drew can do the half-axel pretty well on 'standard' rev handles, but they are not very flat at all. He doesnt fly with quad sticks either right now. I do it on the Rev I and he flies a 1.5, so none of you should have a problem.

Kite on it's side, LE to your Right. Right hand will be forward and left hand back as usual for holding this position. Quickly Pull the right hand back and left hand forward then strongly tug the bottom right line followed by A LOT of slack. The left (top) of the kite will fall to the right, the LE will flare out slightly. Right at this moment give a pop with the top left.

Nice explanantion! I've been told this is best done at shoulder height. What do you think?[

BB

Penny

• 4 weeks later...

Ooops.. sorry. I really tend to wander and jump from thread to thread. Ok, you were being a backwards child..... handles upside down.. and the ground was hard? Now you're revless? I am sorry

Trust me, I can relate. But like they say "if your not trying, your not flying.

Tell me more. What happened?

BB

Penny

Rev I mylar version... Flying one night and the right panel ripped mid-flight. So I tedlar it up and a few days later go back out. The OTHER panel rips severely.. Call rev and try to explain id like it back by saskc and they give me a "we'll try but .. well maybe." That was 3 months before the event! Not acceptable, especially when the lady on the phone was very rude. Dont remember her name atm, but ive never heard of her in relation to rev. (dont care to again either)

So I send the kite up to kiteshoppe and it is currently MIA via the post office it would seem :-\

Soo, all I have is a 1.5 which i dont enjoy flying too much, and that im trying to sell atm. Meh.