KiteLife Forum

Question about Freilein and SD get together.

ShaneR

After a trip to San Diego a couple of years ago I fell in love with Quad line kites.  I have been looking at them every since.  I have not had the available money or time to do anything about my want so I waited.  I have Watched JB do all kinds of kewl things with a quad and I wanted to be able to do half of what he can do.

So, I bought a Reflex a few weeks ago and I have had a hard time getting out to fly it.  I finally got time off work last week to go out but the winds were not all that great and I felt like an old man in a nursing home, I wanted to get it up cause all the signs were there but it just wouldn't happen.  Come to find out I also had the springs on the wrong side.  Needless to say I have not given up but in the meantime I was looking for a good ground stake and I found Ocean Shore Kites.  Wonderful people there,  and I talked myself into a Freilein Vertigo.  What are your thoughts on this kite?  I know it is not a Revolution but will it handle the knocks of a newbie for a year or so and do the fly as decent as a Revolution?

Also I am going to be in San Diego on the 12-18th of August.  I am planning on taking both the Reflex and the Vertigo with me.  Is there a get together that weekend on the 12th any where near San Diego?

• 2 weeks later...

bought a vertigo std for my boy at the os festival back in june  at os kites, andy talked a good talk so we took the chance. My boy has had very little experience with quads but a lot of experience with dual lines, He's starting to do competitions a little now. he's only gotten to fly a few revs others let him fly briefly at a few kite festivals up till now..  He is picking it up really quick, after two or three outings we decided to get the vented vertigo last weekend and we used it at the beach in 12-18mph wind and he flew well, He's still trying to get the hang of flying backwards though. I say boy but he's 23 and has flown dual line since he was about 13. I'm just a spectator and can't comment except from a spectators point of view, but I don't see any difference in the way a rev fly's and this one. I have been to quite a few kite shows in the last 7-8 years and have watched many revs both in competition and otherwise and can say I'm ok with the money I spent and the fun I've had watching my boy progress with the short time we've had the kites. Perhaps sometime down the road we'll go to a rev but only if an advantage can be found in doing so. This is my first post here and I'd like to take this moment to say hI  to all the flyers here,  I've always found kiters to be some of the best people around. Hope this helps some. good luck and good flying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kitedad said:

I don't see any difference in the way a rev fly's and this one.

Hi and welcome

Completely normal at this stage - I remember feeling like the B-series was slightly better than the Pro for a long time until I developed enough and spent enough time on the Pro to be able to tell the difference.

As long as you are enjoying yourself and the kite represents value for your money then you're doing fine. With enough time and experience and knowledge you will come to understand and appreciate the differences and subtleties of various sails, both Revolution based and others.

For me, the Pro represents the best all around platform for my money, but that doesn't mean (for example) that I don't pull out my Polo set if I'm in the mood to tip pivot a lot or I want to sacrifice some tracking for a light feel with visual pop.

Just looking at the Freilein kites I can see how the feel and personality will be different, but if you're enjoying it then don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Get deep enough in and you're going to find yourself wanting better and more ;)

• Like 2

Thank you both for posting.  

kwmf, so your saying the pro is better overall than the B series, or it is just better for you?  I have not seen any pros for sale to see what the difference is.

I had a chance to test fly the Vertigo and the Vertigo Max (vented) when our local shop was deciding whether or not to carry them.  I now have the Max and will probably get the Vertigo to match.  The kite and I just seemed to click right away.  I was able to do some things I hadn't been able to do with my B-series.  When I went back to my B-series, those same things were now possible.  I'm not the caliber flier who can win competitions or flail the kite around until it falls apart.  I'm just your average flier who enjoys her kites.  And I really enjoy the Vertigo.

I'm not giving up my B-Pros or any of my Revs.  My B-Pros are stacked and will probably be more of a festival fly rather than a daily fly.  Most of my Revs were not random purchases and were bought for specific reasons and are flown for specific occasions.  And there are a couple that I fly often.  But I'm adding the Veritgo to the bag as another option as my mood dictates.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

Inserting clarifications for posterity, but not interrupting the discussion... :)

B-Series (factory model), production ends on Dec 31st 2016.

B-Series PRO (Bazzer built) no longer made or available except as used / private sale.

Carry on!

Just supplementing JB's info,

The Pheonix Pro is made by Bazzer and is essentially the next step in the evolution of Revs. It's in a more limited scheme of colours but from all reports is a little sweeter to fly!

B to a B Pro,

The difference is say, a factory made kite verses a hand finished one. Simple but it's is a bit more than that.

Seems like someone would have answered ShaneR's original question in his topic about flying in San Diego on August 12th weekend.

Maybe someone can at least suggest a place to fly alone while he's in SD. I'd give you some ideas where to fly but I'm about 2800 miles away from that area.

I am currently testing a Vertigo myself and have to say some of it is better than from Rev's factory.  It has ploy fabric oriented correctly for stretch by panels, a double row of straight stitching along the trailing edge, a reinforcing stripe behind the down spars built into the sail.  All the right fittings and materials, tight well made sail.

my tester came with a couple of frame sets (Race and something "T"), it also had a set of 12 inch sticks installed and a french bridle (who am I testing it for)  It has been pleasure, particularly in the challenging winds we have in the mid-atlantic states during the summer.  Wind is measured with negative numbers!

The Vertigo doesn't fly as easily as my B-Pro 1.5 or as the Zen, but heck it does everything if you want it bad enough.  I've enjoyed it most on a set of 50#/100' using 15 inch no snags.  I don't run 360's, but it throws and catches fine.  I've only used the Race frame so far, but I will try some more spanking this weekend.

I have to believe this is a good value if not a great one!  I wasn't advised on the retail price point, only instructed to give my impressions of the flight dynamics.

"Works as well as anything else in my bag, not perfect but impressive"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaneR said:

kwmf, so your saying the pro is better overall than the B series, or it is just better for you?  I have not seen any pros for sale to see what the difference is.

The Pro does perform better than the factory B, but only if you are at a level where you can tell. Fit and finish is a whole other story and you don't need to be an expert to appreciate the quality and longevity of the build.

Just like a fancy set of golf clubs won't make you any better and you still need to practice, so the Pro would not make you a better pilot. Lucky for us, practice means go outside and have fun :)

6 minutes ago, photomom said:

The kite and I just seemed to click right away.  I was able to do some things I hadn't been able to do with my B-series.  When I went back to my B-series, those same things were now possible.  

Often, I find that receiving the CORRECT instruction, advice or direction is the biggest difference maker, but I have also advanced through different equipment. I was once struggling with advancing my indoor ability until I decided to use my outdoor handles Watty style. I made huge advances there for a long time. When I went back to my indoor handles (many months later) I didn't like it but found some advantages due to my improved knowledge. Eventually I transitioned back to indoor handles and the last time I flew an outdoor handle setup it felt horrible.

Whatever gets you progressing and enjoying yourself. I do still highly recommend seeking good info on anything you're working on though :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hyzakite said:

Seems like someone would have answered ShaneR's original question in his topic about flying in San Diego on August 12th weekend.

Maybe someone can at least suggest a place to fly alone while he's in SD. I'd give you some ideas where to fly but I'm about 2800 miles away from that area.

The most popular SD flying location...

http://www.kitemap.org/site-details?id=35&sname=Tecolote Shores Park

Easy to search for more...

http://www.kitemap.org/find-kite-flying-sites

I just hope there's no "Rev loyalist" attitude amongst the SD fliers - kites and lines make my brothers and sisters, not what logo is on their kite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShaneR said:

Thank you both for posting.  

Considering that they are no longer being made explains that! Not many will part with their Pros, if there isn't something to replace them! 

I've gotten the chance to fly the Freilein - stock frame felt a little sluggish to me. T- 2 was the factory marking. Ended up putting my Rev race frame in it and felt it come alive! I keep hearing things like "the rods are stiff but lighter" , but that may not be what is needed. I've no direct comparison for what the T-2 rods equal in Rev rods, just know they felt too stiff for me. But from what I understand, the QC is more stringent, meaning less variance in weights between sticks of the same type.

1 hour ago, John Barresi said:

I just hope there's no "Rev loyalist" attitude amongst the SD fliers - kites and lines make my brothers and sisters, not what logo is on their kite.

I'm picturing and laughing, Shane going out the first day with his Rev Reflex and the loyalists all wanting to try out his kite for the first time and being kite flyer friendly and all. And the next day he brings out his Freilein and the Rev loyalists bring out their green race rods and beat the poor guy with them! OUCH!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

Just supplementing JB's info,

The Pheonix Pro is made by Bazzer and is essentially the next step in the evolution of Revs. It's in a more limited scheme of colours but from all reports is a little sweeter to fly!

B to a B Pro,

The difference is say, a factory made kite verses a hand finished one. Simple but it's is a bit more than that.

I have been talking to them about these too.   I love the look of these kites.   They also said rev frames fit then too.

5 hours ago, hyzakite said:

I'm picturing and laughing, Shane going out the first day with his Rev Reflex and the loyalists all wanting to try out his kite for the first time and being kite flyer friendly and all. And the next day he brings out his Freilein and the Rev loyalists bring out their green race rods and beat the poor guy with them! OUCH!

Seen it happen, honestly. :/

This is the bag I travel with - takes all my kites, clothes and more, still checks as one normal item as long as you stay under 50lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Wheelie-Wakeboard-Bag/dp/B00FWX7CFG/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=kitelifemagaz-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=U5THBVHGBD3UOXVV&creativeASIN=B00FWX7CFG

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Sorry if I started a brouhaha :), all great info though and some very funny stuff, I had anticipated much of what was said and all is very true. its great to know about changing the frame if my boy decides he wants to try to get more out of his freilien after he is more experienced. btw wayne you and my boy spoke at the ocean shores kite fest back in june, perhaps you remember, he asked about the freilein and you told him the same as what you posted above so we went and bought one soon after. He wore the outback oilskin hat he always wears. He says hi and thanks for helping him on his decision. We'll be at  WSIKF in a  few and are looking forward to a great time. we'll be there all week this year so he can have more time to fly before the sport kite comps on fri,sat.  Last year he only had the dualies to fly and was so outnumbered by rev flyers it was hard to find a place to fly inside the ropes. One lady even put her quad down on his lines and forced his kite out of the sky,  luckily no damage but it could have been worse for both as he was flying his silver fox 2.5 vented in some pretty heavy wind but the kite is pretty much a tank so I told him it may not have been intentional and all is well, {part of my job as kite wrangler}. unrelated to this but some may find it interesting, He'd set his kite down and was walking somewhere when I looked over and saw some people picking up his kite and another was about to grab his lines and was going to fly his kite!  wind must have been 20mph. I had to run over and stop them before they wrecked something, they were foreigners and thought anything inside the ropes was for anybody to fly. Have to watch stuff like a hawk man. One of the high points of that year was watching Mr. B and all the others team flying out on the field, I don't recall what day it was     but it did help convince him to pick up quad flying.