KiteLife Forum

My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

riffclown

@SHBKF very nice Invictus! I've have two Horvath gliders on their way.   His "I'll be back, Darling" combo.

@Breezin Glad a Cadillac save you buddy.  We'll try to give 18 wheeler's a little more distance with it.

In two weeks we should have at least five Symphony 2.2.4's together for a large fly/pillow fight!  @riffclown   @Mike Klaiber @John Barresi @windpoacher/Eli Russell and myself  (Am I missing any other owners for that weekend?).   Stoked!!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, esinger said:

"Another Kite?" domestic arguments,  it's now just a roll of the eyes LOL

Brace for impact!!! - Heavily rolling eyes are incoming!!! I expect a shipment (Spider Kites Smithi Pro and Level One ONEleven) any day - haven't told my wife about it yet. I kind of think that it is better not to have a kite package arriving too frequently - better then to order two kites at a time.

Read up a bit on the Invictus. Sweet kite.Got some more practicing on the machine before I attempt that.Dang it Exult I want a ONEleven too. My wedding anniversary is today and I'd like to have another one with her next year. Discussing another kite purchase over Tacos and Margaritas tonight is NOT going to happen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Exult said:

Brace for impact!!! - Heavily rolling eyes are incoming!!! I expect a shipment (Spider Kites Smithi Pro and Level One ONEleven) any day - haven't told my wife about it yet. I kind of think that it is better not to have a kite package arriving too frequently - better then to order two kites at a time.

I was not a fan of the Smithi Pro..  It's one of the reasons I pressed forward with the Symphony Mod..

On 3/20/2018 at 10:41 PM, Breezin said:

THIS is the hardest pull to the dark side. :ani_wallbash:

@Breezin  Get ready to be tempted.. I'll offer to let you borrow a Symphony 2.2.4, lines, handles, and all BUT you need to  know up front this one is not for sale. (two reasons it's not for sale, kite has been bombed and has had the baffles repaired plus it's Symphony 2.2.4 #1 and was my original prototype that I measure every new kite against..)  I'll even cover the postage to you.. Only thing I'll ask of you is after about a month or so you mail it back to me at your expense. We'll get together on the timing of that return.  Will be no hurry, I just want to make sure it's not while I'm on a business trip.

Timing, You will have to wait until my April OBX trip is done, since this is the kite I allow the public to use and it will probably be used for some team flying there.

Let me know what you'd like to do..

• Like 4

Wow Riff I'd be a fool not to take you up on this. Whole left side of my body has slid across the line and for the life of me I can't drag it back to the light. If I had a neon 1.2 I'd have been flying yesterday. We had sustained 40 mph for a bit. They say at high speed you can whump the baffles right out of that kite. I'll convince the right side of my body your kite is coming for a visit to teach me how to repair blown baffles. It is very agitated. It's the side that controls the wallet. Have been very tempted to get the Flexi 1.2 quad. For the price it seems just the line set with handles would be a descent deal. Read what you said about the mushiness and haven't considered since. Glad I saved my money. I'll pm my address. Oh wow everything around me has a slightly grey tinge now. Seems to be getting darker around here.:unsure:

• Like 2

The Flexifoils are very nice kites.. I have zero issues with them.. I have a larger Flexifoil Bullet myself..  I really enjoy flying it under the right conditions.. I'll reconnect with you to verify everything on the Symphony after I get back from OBX..

FoilsRFun.jpg

4.5.jpg

• Like 4

Took the reference to 1.2 quad mushiness was size not brand. All this time when Iv'e read the term dog stake I thought it referred to the ground stake for the long walk. Was always slightly confused. Well now I know. Dog staking looks like a blast. Might wack myself a few times but I'll try that. Planting a Blue Spruce tomorrow morning. While the digging tools are out I'm going to plant a dog stake too. 

• Like 2

Here is a clip of my 8 year old son flying the 2.2.4!  He had  previously flown my Rage 2.5 once and this was only his second flight with a 4-line kite. His second flight with it, he had progressed to learning brake turns, reverse relaunch, and propeller spins. Thanks Riffclown for any amazing trainer kite plus one that you can do so many things with.  He even said he likes flying it better than his 2-line kites! He has officially crossed over to the dark side😝

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Power foils have an airfoil cross-section designed to create as much lift as possible. Lift=power. Surface area=power.This results in a thicker, larger airfoil. Thicker and larger creates more drag, so to make a quad airfoil that's got some zip, use the thinnest/smallest airfoil available in whatever size you are considering. The proportion of thickness/surface will make a difference. I'm guessing that something near the middle between the two extremes would be the most suitable for conversion to quad. I doubt that many, if any, have been designed with specifically that goal in mind.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this thread is dead dead. But possibly still worth asking a few questions. I have a cheapish 2.5m Chinese powerfoil kite that I bought well over year ago, before I knew better lol

I flew it maybe 4 or 5 times, before I accidentally untied a knot I wasn't supposed too. It grew a hump and I threw it in the closet to die. After stumbling across this thread randomly I am now inspired to attempt this.

What would be your best recommendation to update this to 2020 and for use on a 2.5m?
What line would I use?
Would tabs be sewn In basically the same areas or add an inch or two more apart?

Thank you! Resized_20191027_161130_01.jpeg

Sent from my N9136 using KiteLife mobile app

I would evenly space the tabs across the bottom.. This doesn't replace the front bridles though so you will need to find the spot you untied and repair that to fix the "hump"

As for what to use, use the line quality closest to the front bridles that you can find.

Since you are in the Detroit Area, I'd suggest tracking down Brett. He has one of my converted kites still and can share it with you.

And thanks for bringing back one of my favorite topics..

• 3 months later...

Hi Riffclown.  Love the videos of your 2.2.4.

I'm getting into kiting after my son was recently gifted a symphony beach 1.3 and it's re-awoken a passion I had for my basic stunt kite I had when I was a kid.  I'm tempted to try your mod,  guess the models have changed since your originally created your mod.  Of the existing models would you recommend the Symphony beach 2.2 or the Symphony Pro 2.2?

I also have the option of buying a second hand Peter Lynn Hornet 3m which I'm quite tempted by.  I'm most likely to fly stunting but wouldn't mind building up to a landboard as I build up my flying skills. 

Lee

@LeMac I highly recommend the Symphony Pro. The Bridling is much much sturdier. Bridles on the Beach models are simply tied Dyneema.   The Peter Lynn Hornet  is a traction kite and not really a stunter.  The Symphony kites are Sport size. The Hornet Kite is SQUARE METERS.. There is a huge difference in size despite the incremental number difference.

20160804_164018.jpg

Here is an Older Symphony Pro 2.2 laying on top of a 2M Crossfire for size reference.

CrossFire 2&4.jpg

Here is that same 2M Crossfire on top of a 4M Crossfire. As you can see the sizing difference is not only noticeable but considerable, especially in the amount of force these kites can generate.

If you are going to get into the traction side of things (Buggying/Landboarding) then a 3M is going to end up in your bag since it is the baseline standard for traction kiting. Just be ready for the huge pull these kites can generate quickly.

FWIW, the 2.2.4 is a good intro into traction and will pull a buggy. My first buggy ride was with one.

@riffclown   Awesome.  Thanks for the snappy response.  The photo of the size difference really bring home the point.  I had read your buying guide before but was still mistaken in thinking there was't much difference between a 2.2 sport and a 3m traction.  Thanks again.  I'm gonna buy the Symphony Pro 2.2. now.  Will let you know how the conversion goes.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @riffclown FYI I ordered a 2.2 pro but after a week the shop admitted their didn't have any in stock and weren't sure when they would be back in.  They offered me a 2.5 pro for the same price so went with that (also bought the 3m Hornet).  You mentioned you did mod a 2.5 but with some major adjustments.  Are you able to summarise before I start out doing my conversion?   Thanks. Lee

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to kiting. I was looking at purchasing a Rev (super expensive here in the UK) but after stumbling across your SP 2.2.4 post a couple of weeks back Riffclown, I decided I should have a go at making my own as a beginner's introduction to quad kites. Last week I purchased the kite and am now gathering materials for the mod. I have read all the posts I could find but still have a couple of queries so was wondering if you or anyone else could help?

1. In the UK, Skybond is not easy to come by but 350# Climax Protec is. I am considering using this for both the bridle and main lines (the line that comes with th SP is 353#). Do you know if the Climax Protec can be spliced? If not, do you (or anyone else) you have any experience splicing Climax bridle line (http://www.climaxlines.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p70.html)? How important is it to splice the bridles? If I used knots would this be to the detriment of the bridle performance/longevity?

2. What line is recommended for the orange 20" brake bridle? Something thick? The current bridle leaders (is that the terminology?) use a thicker white  cord which I suppose is easier to larks head onto.

3. I would like to use the 9th attachment tab in your design also. Are you able to provide the bridle lengths for this? From what I have read it makes reverse flight a little easier?

4. You mention "some other line suitable for sleeving to thicken the main attachment points". Is the sleeving applied to the tabs? Do you still use this?

5. As I have no quad experience I have no idea what to look for in handles. Would JB series Rev handles be recommended? Or are the 15" versions recommended?

..lastly..

6. I don't have a sewing machine- would I be crazy to stitch the tabs by hand? If not, any tips for hand stitching? eg Needle size/type, thread recommendations etc?..Or should I really not even attempt it as I assume it will take ages to complete?

Thanks for putting your design out there for all to use Riffclown! I'm looking forward to (depending on the hand stitching) giving it a go!

Hamish