KiteLife Forum

My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

riffclown

Honestly the materials aren't as critical as the measurements. 

If backsplicing isn't possible you can use knots as long as you allow for the extra length taken up by the knots. I don't use sleeving. I only mention  it because sleeving line is very good for backsplicing.

The Orange line is simply a touch thicker and the contrast is mainly for looks. You CAN use the same line you use for the bridles.

The 9th attachment point is tricky to create so I don't typically give that info out. You can get almost the same performance by evenly spacing the other 8 attachment points.

Any quad handels will do but if this is the first quad and you need handle solely for it, I'd recommend getting some power kite handles. The top line on them isn't all the way to the end and it's easy to fly this kite with that grip point due to its two line bias..

Hand stitching should be fine but I'd find a friend with a machine if i could just to ensure that connection is strong.

Hope this helps.. Good Luck..

Thanks very much for your reply Riffclown! I see HQ do some quad handles so I will give them a go. Before I get to invested in this project I will try hand sewing one of the tabs on first as a test run. Looking at my limited options here, I think the kite line, bridle and brake line will all be the same Climax Protec.

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to pop in with my new account and say I started this project up with my Prism Tantrum 220.  Since I don't have a sewing machine I hand-stitched the tabs to the bottom of the wing at the point where the baffles between the cells are sewn into the rest of the stitching, so it should be the strongest point.  It also helped to evenly space the tabs.  I did 5 tabs on each side, but so far I've only bridled the 4 starting at the outer edge and I'm waiting for some wind and time to take it outside and try it.  The bridles are 2 pieces per side--24+28" pieces, and 26+30" pieces are single pieces of 200# braided dacron, and they knot up to a main bridle line on each side currently made of paracord (will change this to the same material as the bridles soon.

This past weekend there was just enough wind to go out to a field near the house and make a couple of initial adjustments--I wanted to be sure I could bind the original 2-line bridles to the new brake bridles and have the brake bridles be "dead," letting me fly the kite as a 2-line and I was able to get that working.  Now I just need to get outside with my little makeshift handles (old broken drumsticks, holes drilled, paracord knotted through the holes) and see if I can make the thing fly as a 4-line.

A question:  how much weight are we typically putting on the brake lines as compared to the regular attachment points for the main bridle?  It looks like the Tantrum has some string that runs through the foil to reinforce it where those lines attach, which won't be present for these brake lines.  I'm a little concerned that if the "pull" is the same the foil material may not hold up as well.

Anyhow, I attached a picture here.  I'm hoping I can get out into the field behind my office today, but right now the lawn service is mowing so I may miss my flying window for today (rain on the way :( )

kite.jpg

• Like 1

Good work. The brake lines are attaching to the trailing edge only. Almost all the force is on the original bridles. Applying the brakes will partially deflate the airfoil by design.. Unless you are flying it in really strong winds, it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

• Like 1

OMG, just took out my newly finished Symphony Pro 2.5.4.  I love it!!   What a totally different experience to the regular 2 line kite.  Taken my enjoyment of kiting to a new level.

Took a bit of trial and error to splice the bridals but got there after I realised that the string I was using wasn't good enough (initially tried using the line that came on the Symphony 2.5 Pro, but it didn't open up nicely and was nearly impossible to splice).  I recently bought replacement quad lines for a Peter Lynn hornet so ended up using the old flying lines to make my bridals.

I managed to get my bother into it too after I bought my niece a Symphony Beach 1.3 for her birthday.  He instantly bought a 2.2 pro and will no doubt be converting it after seeing my first flight video of the 2.5.4.

Strong work @riffclown thanks again.  Can't believe HQ aren't selling the 4 line Symphony Pro kites out of the box but there is something satisfying about doing the conversion yourself (I even learnt how to use Mrs LeMac's sewing machine!)

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Saw a new Symphony from this years model line and HQ Kites is now putting the tabs on the kite for quad bridles from the factory.  I'm not sure about which sizes have the tabs.  Quad Bridles sold separately I think...

20210619_121816.jpg

• Like 2