KiteLife Forum

Welcome lycosa

Hello @lycosa,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thanks for the intro, automated or not! I've only been here a few days and I've already learned so much.

My kite story starts like most do: I was a kid and saw a kite. When we lived in Seattle in the late-80s/early-90s I had some friends whose parents were into stunt kiting and they let me spend some time with one of their beaters for a few months. I did get the hang of dual line controls but I couldn't afford my own so that was that because we moved soon thereafter.

Fast forward many, many years and after having lived in NYC for nearly 15 years I recently relocated to the Bay Area with my SF-native girlfriend. The topic of the Berkeley Kite Festival came up and of course was irresistible. We went together and it hit me. I remembered all the fun I had all that time ago, particularly watching the team events. I almost bought a dual line right then and there but I held off and came here to do more research. I'm glad I did. I ended up going with a Rev B-series. It's coming tomorrow and will give me just enough time to do a little practicing before the free BASKL clinic on Saturday.

Can't wait to explore and learn so much more here. Happy flying.

• Like 2

Welcome to KiteLife.  You have found a great resource with a bunch of enthusiastic kite nuts who will help you any way they can.  Please post your thoughts & feelings about our favorite topic, all things kite.  I believe I saw you in chat the other night.  Sorry I had to leave & did not get to talk with you.  Join us in chat.  We love company.  

Wishing you all the best, SHBKF

• Like 1

Thanks SHBKF! I'm sure I'll see you in the chat real soon.

Likewise, riffclown! Nice to chat in real time right off the bat. I suppose it should come as no surprise that members have a lot of other hobbies as well, like astronomy, music, and other sports. I joke with my girlfriend (who pokes fun but also enjoys that I have so many hobbies) that it took me this long to get back around to kiting because I've been occupied with so many other activities. Most recently I've been learning the finer points of freehand sharpening high-Rockwell Japanese kitchen knives with natural stones. She just shakes her head and tells me not to spend too much.

• Like 1

Welcome to KiteLife and welcome back to kites. :)  I'm glad you already heard about the BASKL clinic and are planning to go.  I will be there too, probably splitting my time between helping new fliers and trying to learn some dual line tricks.  And just in case your kite doesn't arrive tomorrow for some reason, please still come out to the BASKL clinic.  We have kites you can borrow, and it will be a great opportunity to get started on the right foot.  See you there!

• Like 3

Thanks, dragonfish. Indeed I hope to see you there! I wasn't able to really take advantage of the free lessons at the Kite Fest so I'm really looking forward to it. Once I saw it on the BASKL site I immediately got in touch and made sure I wouldn't be imposing as a non-BASKL member, which turns out is just fine. My girlfriend wants to come along as well so it should be a lot of fun for us both!

• Like 1

Hi, lycosa. It's great to have you on-board. Definitely go to the clinic, kite or no kite. Flying OPK's (other people's kites) is how all of us find out what we like and don't like about any kind of kite. That's why we're always happy to let others try the ones we have. Learning is a shared process.

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2

Hi makatakam. Good advice on the breathing part. I'll try to remember that. Sometimes I forget!

Well I've got my LPG 90/120 line. Just waiting for the Rev to show up. It's on the truck! Gonna try to see if I can make it out to Ocean Beach and give it its maiden flight this afternoon.

• Like 1