KiteLife Forum

Carbon Tubing Comparison

1 hour ago, makatakam said:
  • .......... In super-heavy, extreme winds, I will double up the LE or use the SLE leading edge.

You're a brave man to admit to using the SLE here on this forum.  (I actually have four sets of this infamous leading edge tube . One SLE kite I bought used came with a still in the factory wrapper spare set of SLE tubes!)  SHBKF

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SHBKF said:

You're a brave man to admit to using the SLE here on this forum.  (I actually have four sets of this infamous leading edge . One SLE kite I bought used came with a still in the factory wrapper spare set of SLE tubes!)  SHBKF

You do what you have to if you want to fly. Necessity is the mother of courage -- and other things too.

• Like 2

Never used it. Been flying Revs off and on since 1998-99. They had just come out with it around the time I had my stroke. My oldest Rev, Rev 1, came with a 1/4" 4 wrap frame - didn't even know they had other frames! 

Hey Ralph - used them to stake out the tomatoes yet??? LOL!

5 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Not sure a straight up "what rod for what wind speed" question is sufficient here, I'' thinking the sail / vent configuration you choose has a lot to do with the rod you choose.

I'm thinking we have presumed that the frame configurations we most often use in a particular wind speed range would be coupled with the sail that would be most appropriate for that range. For instance, I believe no one thinks that one would be using an extra vent in a 2-mph wind. Even a mid vent in 2-mph is more work than most people care to do. The only Revs I would even consider for that task would be the SUL or the Zen, and compared to my home-made EUL's (extremely ultra light), even the both of those are bricks.

I think we are assuming that those who join in this discussion are no longer flying a full-sail in 25-mph wind, and are familiar with selecting the appropriate sail for existing conditions. Just for grins I'm posting this range chart as a reference of common sail range. If anyone would care to, please do comment on whether you would agree with the general ranges stated. These are more field tested rather than factory recommended ranges that I have gleaned from other flyers over a few years that are an average of the data I gathered.

Wind range chart.png

• Like 1

This is all great information!  Thank you.  What I hope to present with my test information is the dynamic response characteristics of the carbon tubes alone, independent of the sail choice. 

The sail that has been chosen to use with the frame will definitely change the “reflex” characteristics of the entire kite as it restricts (dampens) the motion of the frame as it responds to input. 

Modifications to the standard Sail/LE designs are also a part of your experiences and choices for sail and frame combinations.  This will certainly influence your choice of combinations for frame/sail when you fly under a variety of wind conditions.

I plan to post my blog regarding the “Carbon Tube Dynamic Response Test” next week (delayed at the moment by visitors for the holidays).  Perhaps after this information is posted we can see what you have to say about the following:

First… comments regarding the dynamic response test data that I present.

Second… perhaps we start another thread regarding sail and frame selection; including any modifications to your sails and leading edges and how these enhance the performance of your kites.

Again, thanks to all of you for your input regarding this subject.

S.F.

• Like 2