KiteLife Forum

Double stack Flying Wings Grace Kite.....how?

starlady

I have been watching a you tube video over and over where someone has double stacked two Grace Kites for indoor flying. I would like to try it but have no idea how to connect them. Since there is an opening mid kite, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard. How many connection points and where and how should I do it? Can anyone help me figure this out? I love flying my Grace outdoors in low wind conditions at sunset every day here in Southern CA.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

The more connection points the more of a unit any stack becomes.

With a single point connection on a glider (or any kite) the one above is free to move in all axis (pitch, roll and yaw) compared to the one below. When wind powered (such as in a train) this is not really a problem as the wind sorts that out, but in gliding you would need very exacting technique at a minimum.

The other problem with a single point in gliders is that every glider has a different center of gravity and mass and where/how you attach relative to that point will have a big impact on performance.

I don't have a grace (doesn't appeal to me) so I don't know how to advise on that. I do have multiple other gliders (Wala, Emong, iFlite, Horvath, etc) and each one would have it's own stack requirements.

Take a look at your kite and see how many connection points you can get on there - the more the merrier. If all else fails, message the person who posted the video and get in touch with the person who did the flying. They're a friendly bunch and I'm sure they will help you on that specific setup.

When two kites are headed in different directions the results are usually bad. I recommend at least connecting the nose of each, which will still leave some sideways wobble in the setup. Best bet would probably be to connect nose and both tips. A triangle forms a rigid structure. The length of the connecting lines will make a difference too. Too much and it will wobble sideways; not enough and the bottom kite blocks air from the upper. It will, more than likely, take a few tries to establish the ideal length.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

First, I have to buy the second kite......I'm going to try it. I seem to do much better with Grace than the zero G, although I like them both.
Anybody else have trouble with neighbors who want to tell you that you need more wind.....over and over, no matter what yodel them? Here I was thinking I looked like I knew what I was doing too! Lol

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Based on what I've seen in videos and my experience of buying kites (good and bad) and comparing my experience with the videos ... The grace is not a kite that I feel I will like at all. I much prefer the Wala and Emong in the Flying Wings range as far as gliders go.

I don't get on with the Zero-G either, but it's the only glider I own that steers from the rear instead of the nose. I understand it, my brain just hasn't got around to adapting to the different style.

I've been setting up my indoor rev inside a sports center before and had someone come ask me if I'd noticed that there wasn't any wind :)

Smile and do the 'impossible' while they wonder how it's possible