KiteLife Forum

Stunt kite spine

reefaddicted

Revolution SLE rod....

I think it could be a Sky Shart 7PT rod but not 100% sure. If I was to replace frame parts, I would change it for OEM specified one. A heavier than spec will change the dynamics of your kite.

I know your broke but it may have had a defect or something. Usually Lower LE's or Spreaders are broken more commonly.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Edit: it's a solid carbon rod not a wound one.
IMG_1472823938.781918.thumb.jpg.ea7bcf33

Ok thank you I will replace with oem. Now with that said this kite is rated from 4mph - 20mph any chance the wind rating is over rated?

Wind ranges are, ummmm, kind of like interpretative dance....

The wind energy at 20mph is very high and I wouldn't put a Standard Sail up in that.
Unless.
Confident in kite and your ability to moderate/mitigate the gusts.
I am lucky to have a Vented dual line kite for that sort of wind but not everyone does. Quads are different as you can brake out the energy much quicker. Top pilots could fly UL's that high as they can dump the energy without consciously being aware of it. Also, the faster the wind, the faster everything else happens.

One thing, can you adjust the bridle for light to heavy winds?

Thank you guys for the responses. I have just refueled my kite addiction from my teens. The only difference is now it's going to be worse now that I want to read and learn to advance as far as I possibly can. I now have a new oem spine on the way should be here next week. The addiction is one of the nicest kites I have owned. Once I can learn a few basic tricks I want to move up to a better kite than the addiction. I look forward to being an active member of this group.

• Like 2

A couple tools: a dremel hi speed cutter. Cuts fast but maybe not straight unless jigged. 

A fine toothed hacksaw. Use a minimum 32 tooth blade.

Unless you are cutting a lot of sticks, no need for a vacuum for dust. Just keep your eyes and nose out of any cloud of dust. Taping the area you cut is a good tip. Keeps the spar from splintering. Gently sand if needed, with fine paper.

Ok this is really awesome you folks are teaching me so much. I don't mind fixing things myself I just always ask the people who know how to do it. I want to thank all of you for the tips I have received. I just want to keep building my kite knowledge and progress with the sport. I'm also brining my family and friends and family into it with me

Ok that's what I thought. The spine that snapped was a solid rod. Or at least appeared to be. Had fibers inside it. I wish I still had it to take pictures of. The shop I got the kite from has it to get me a replacement from the manufacturer. However the addiction is an older kite and I don't believe it's in production anymore. So when I get the new part I think it may be wise for me to get spare parts just in case this happens in the future. I read that these kites can be modded to trick better but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. As far as doing the actual mods. I'm just really wanting to progress into tricks and continue learning more advanced flying techniques. I've been getting more and more days to fly. I'm in Indiana and the good fall winds are starting to move in

By the way what is the advantage of tubes vs rods?

Not just weight but also where you can put the weight. A rod can be cut and ferrules to put weight low or high to balance the kite.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the spine in and installed in the kite. I finally had a chance to get out and fly the thing and I must say now that I have flown it I do like the kite. My other kites are my first choices but nice to have another option. What I fly I. Order:
Premier widow ng special is my first choice
Then comes my jammin by skydog kites
Then I will fly the addiction lol still nice though