KiteLife Forum

Best 2 line Stunt Kite for Beginner under $100

Steve Jenkins

About two weeks ago I took my grandson out for the first time to try flying a 2 line stunt kite. I haven't flown it in years. We were flying my 28 year old Hawaiian Spin-Off. After about 30 minutes he was getting the hang of it without pounding it in the ground too frequently. He seemed to really enjoy it and lives very close to the field where we were flying. He has a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I thought he might like a kite of his own. He's 13 (soon 14) but big for his age (5'11" or 6'). I'm looking for suggestions for what to buy, but would really like to keep it under $100. I know that limits the choices, but it seems to me that some of the more expensive capable kites are also more lightweight and fragile. Any input would be appreciated and considered. Thanks !!!

• Like 3

In this price range the Prism Quantum (not Quantum Pro) has been recommended so many times I finally had to buy one myself.  It comes ready to fly with decent lines, straps & case.  It is a larger kite which means it will fly more slowly than the medium sized ones.  Your grandson's size will allow him to easily handle the pull of the Quantum.  It is a tough kite which helps when you are first flying or allowing someone new to give it a go.  It is a nice looking kite also.  It really got to me when my wife saw me flying it for the first time & said it was my best looking dualie.  I have several kites that I like the looks of better & of course they cost more, much more.  It has a good presence in the sky & is able to pull a long tail if you wish to do some sky writing.  Some have modified theirs to give it a bit more performance but I have left mine completely stock for the sake of reference.  One consideration is that it takes a bit of wind to fly but that is true of all standard kites especially when you are first getting started.  I am not a really advanced flier but I can do some of the more basic trick moves with mine.  But that is a topic for another post as progress is achieved. Their are many other choices & I am sure the Widow NG by Premier also deserves mention.  Best wishes, hope to see you & yours flying some day.   SHBKF

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. I looked at one on the Prism site and initially thought it's more than I wanted to spend $125 + $16.65 shipping for a total of $141.65, but I found one for sale on e-Bay from a guy in Cleveland for $105.95...Whoohoo. I may have to jump on that one. He has the Ice (blue) on too, which is the one I like best.

• Like 1

I am aware of that, I watched your video a couple of hours ago. Very nice, you can do things I am not capable of....or my kite isn't. I like to think it's the kite (but I know better). It's quite old and I know that most of today's kites are capable of much more....but that doesn't mean that I am.

Until two weeks ago, I hadn't flown a kite in years, many years. So I'm just getting back into it. I just bought a Rev 1.5 SLE that was delivered Monday, but it's been calm all week. Today was the first day that I was able to take it out and humiliate myself. I have never attempted to fly a quad before today. You don't see ME posting any video do you!!! I spent about as much time on the ground as I did in the air! I popped the end tension caps out of the leading edge probably 25 times. I was actually beginning to get the hang of it by later in the afternoon. Not good, but a start.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Steve Jenkins said:

Thanks for your input. I looked at one on the Prism site and initially thought it's more than I wanted to spend $125 + $16.65 shipping for a total of $141.65, but I found one for sale on e-Bay from a guy in Cleveland for $105.95...Whoohoo. I may have to jump on that one. He has the Ice (blue) on too, which is the one I like best.

I have the Ice color scheme, blue, which happens to be my wife's favorite color.  I bought blue & blue/white kites as a preference for quite some time.  I do carry mine in the vehicle often as I enjoy it & it's not so precious that I would ever hesitate allowing anyone interested to fly it.  Here's the kites I carry when I am in the Prism frame of mind.  The case that says 3D actually contains a Prism 4D.  I can carry it without breaking down the leading edges this way.  That little kite will fly when nothing else will.

large.enough_kites.jpg

large.trunk_kites_assembled.jpg

SHBKF

I see you have a Micron. I have one that I bought probably 20 years ago on vacation in Wisconsin at a kite shop in Fish Creek. Fast little sucker! I tried flying it about 10 days ago and discovered that one of the upper leading edge connectors broke, I'm guessing from old age. I ordered replacements and they just came in the mail today. I's laying on the floor beside me waiting to be repaired, but I can't type worth a crap (SLOW) so I still have not repaired it. 

I am aware of that, I watched your video a couple of hours ago. Very nice, you can do things I am not capable of....or my kite isn't. I like to think it's the kite (but I know better). It's quite old and I know that most of today's kites are capable of much more....but that doesn't mean that I am.

Until two weeks ago, I hadn't flown a kite in years, many years. So I'm just getting back into it. I just bought a Rev 1.5 SLE that was delivered Monday, but it's been calm all week. Today was the first day that I was able to take it out and humiliate myself. I have never attempted to fly a quad before today. You don't see ME posting any video do you!!! I spent about as much time on the ground as I did in the air! I popped the end tension caps out of the leading edge probably 25 times. I was actually beginning to get the hang of it by later in the afternoon. Not good, but a start.

I am starting to realize that crashing (or at least losing control a bit) might be needed to actually get better! But yeah I spent half that last session on the ground too so fear not ;) Can't wait to hear how it goes for you next time!

I think the Quantum must be built with stalls and beginner tricks in mind as it seems very forgiving. More so I'm sure than your Hawaiian must be! I don't have a ton of experience in different kites to compare it to yet.

Smaller kites are great too so if the Quantum on eBay doesn't work out a Nexus might be a good choice! I flew one recently and liked it. Can't speak to any other manufacturers!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

The little Micron is one of my preferred higher wind kites.  Just a fun little kite.  It will do some tricks but if you blink you'll miss seeing them.  My first flights with a Rev were similar.  Did not have that ah ha moment until the third session when I finally had my breakthrough by steering with brake inputs.  Here's a picture from my second session as I had advanced to the launch, veer to the right & crash stage.  Moments later I was walking to the kite, again.  Note the very poor hand positions in the third image.  SHBKF

1-04-13 Haystack Hill Rev 1.5 ready.JPG1-04-13 Haystack Hill Rev 1.5 launch.JPG1-04-13 Haystack Hill Rev 1.5 about to crash.JPG

• Like 2

On 9/2/2016 at 9:52 PM, Steve Jenkins said:

If the endcaps keep coming off you may need to tighten the bungees a bit. There should be zero slack in them, but not enough tension to put visible stretch lines in the sail. All locations should be adjusted to put moderate tension on the sail, keeping the tops of the upright caps from sticking out more than 1/4"-ish beyond the leading edge. Although usually tensioned correctly when the kite is made, like everything else, with time it changes even when not used. Temperature, humidity and other factors are the cause, and the tension will need to be adjusted several times during the life of the kite. The bungees are elastic, obviously, and with time will deteriorate because of the nature of the materials they are made of, and will need to be replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve take a look at this kite. http://dynakite.corecommerce.com/Stunt-Foil-Kites/X-Kite-Stunt-Kites/

Well under your price limit at only $29.99.  I have one and it's great for beginners.  Fly's very well and is very well made. hollow tube Fiberglass frame. The lines and handle it come with are a little sad so I don't use them. This is the kite I let absolute beginners try.   It can take big crashes with ease. 

XL 80 Kite.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steve Jenkins said:

Upon the recommendation of several of you, I ended up ordering the Prism Quantum.

Wonderful kite. What colour did you get?
Including me, there are 4 people with Fire Quantums where I fly, and no-one flies the Citrus or Blue.

• Like 1