KiteLife Forum

Sky dog jammin

reefaddicted

What are your opinions on the sky dog jammin. I am wanting to get into tricking and looking for a good kite to get me started. I've heard from a couple people that it is a good kite however I would like to know what the people of kite life have to say about it. Is it durable? If I break it are the parts easy to find? What kind of wind does it like? Is it easy to learn tricks on? Just some thoughts I'm having before pulling the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

What are your opinions on the sky dog jammin. I am wanting to get into tricking and looking for a good kite to get me started. I've heard from a couple people that it is a good kite however I would like to know what the people of kite life have to say about it. Is it durable? If I break it are the parts easy to find? What kind of wind does it like? Is it easy to learn tricks on? Just some thoughts I'm having before pulling the trigger

Durable, yes it is. Frame is 6mm Carbon.
Parts are easily sourced and quite cheap.
I like mine in 10-12km/h.
It is relatively easy to learn on.

I keep mine with my street rev. 30 foot lines on the rev, 50 on the Jammin.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well its finished for the price.

• Like 2

Highest wind is a relative term in that skill plays a part. Also the part of the window you are in is a factor too. When then the gusts come, I go to the edges and fly there. The kite will tell you if the wind is too much. The wing tips will shudder and the trailing edge will be noisy.

I've flown my Jammin into the 30's (km/h) BUT on 100 foot lines, nose back adjusted and this was during the gusts. Probably could sustain it with a few considerations.

Longer lines slow a kite down but the pressure in the sail is the same. Alternatively, shorter lines keeps your kite in "lower" ground wind.

Honestly the Jammin is great value for the money. Mine was $150 posted here in Australia.

• Like 4

One thing I'd like to add...

I've flown my Jammin into the 30's (km/h) BUT on 100 foot lines, nose back adjusted and this was during the gusts. Probably could sustain it with a few considerations. 

I don't get this 'high wind' setting that most people embrace... adjusting the nose back allows you to stall easier, but at the cost of increased sail pressure. You don't want increased sail pressure when you're approaching the upper wind limit of a kite... that's how things break. If you pull the nose in, there is less pressure on the sail, and if I'm flying (rarely) in 15ish mph winds, I adjust the nose all the way to the 'light wind' setting, nose all the way in.

Thoughts ? This is only what I've found, and I know it's a balance, do you want to  stall more & have more pull, or have to work for the stall but have less pull ?

• Like 3

One thing I'd like to add...

I don't get this 'high wind' setting that most people embrace... adjusting the nose back allows you to stall easier, but at the cost of increased sail pressure. You don't want increased sail pressure when you're approaching the upper wind limit of a kite... that's how things break. If you pull the nose in, there is less pressure on the sail, and if I'm flying (rarely) in 15ish mph winds, I adjust the nose all the way to the 'light wind' setting, nose all the way in.

Thoughts ? This is only what I've found, and I know it's a balance, do you want to  stall more & have more pull, or have to work for the stall but have less pull ?

This to me was priceless information as it answered a couple of questions that I could not yet figure out how to ask so thank you this helps. A lot!

• Like 1

Yes sail pressure is greater due to the most amount of sail presented perpendicular to the wind. However, as the drive has been taken out or reduced it slows the kite down. Like a vector, lots of magnitude just not much direction.

I have all types set with nose back as it is the setting I like. Having a SUL to Vented range now I would be pulling out the Vented when the wind is kicking.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...