KiteLife Forum

New tricks

reefaddicted

Hey folks I'm just now getting into the trick side of sport kiting. And what that means is ummm I don't know any tricks yet. I've been watching some videos and tutorials but how do you guys turn the tutorials into actual tricks. Basically what's the easiest way to learn new tricks? I have a new kite on the way shipped today!! It's a skydog jammin, I also have a new spine for my addiction by premier and I'm going to be ready to get learning next week. I know bridal adjustments make a difference but what am I looking for in adjustments for tricking. Thank you in advance for any help I receive. So far a very helpful group of people

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

If you mean doing a slack line trick I'd say to start with an axle or a Lazy Susan. If a Lazy Susan is a beginner friendly trick I'd say is kite dependent, while an axle, well I haven't seen a trick kite that is difficult to axle once you can perform it on one kite. Personally I was quite late with the Lazy Susan, but it might have been different if I have had access to other kites from the beginning.
Before learning either trick there are things that you should learn first. Before doing the axle you should be able to stall the kite and before the Lazy Susan you should be able to turtle the kite. There are also other things than slack line tricks that you can do that looks good. More or less any sequence of "moves" that is well performed looks good. I also recommend you to have a look at Happyspoons blog (at least for entries to today's date, 8th of September 2016) where much condensed starting out advice can be found, but do check out other posts as well..
Be patient - it takes time before you can claim a trick, so enjoy the process.

• Like 2

I started with Dodd Gross 6 step tutorial (find on YouTube) and moved my way up from there. The Jammin' is great for it. Keep a few basics to ease your start: good long enough even lines, kite well assembled, smooth steady wind of about 10-17 kmh coming over about half a mile of empty leveled plain, zero obstacles in your wind window. If any of these don't make sense, use the search to find specific details about them, or ask. Best of luck.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, reefaddicted said:

I fully intend on having fun every inch of the way. I'm gonna try not to break another kite for at least a while lol

You're going to break the kite a few times learning to trick... it's all part of it. Lower spreaders... order a few !  :lol:

Seriously, have a few kites in the bag, so when one breaks, you don't have to stop flying. Lower leading edges are common breaks, too. Upper leading edges and spine breaks are more rare, but do happen.

• Like 1

I broke so many lower spreaders, I couldn't even count at this point. I've broken every stick that's in a kite, but only one spine. Standoffs pop out & get lost in the field, I think I've only broken one or two standoffs, as the result of an unplanned water landing in the surf. That's the last place you want your kite to be, the water is not kind to kites, at least at the surf line. 

Don't let this info shy you away from tricking, learning tricks is very rewarding, and totally worth the price of admission.

When you're in the market for your next kite, keep in mind that wrapped spars are stronger than pultruded spars. Of course, they cost more, though.

• Like 2

Hey this is good honest information which is much needed. I'm not gonna shy away from tricking!! I'm in it to win it. I bought the jammin because the 6mm tubes are supposed to be easy to source. I also have another kite that I can fly if it breaks. I also have another kite that should be done sometime in November or early December! I'm already starting to hoard kites!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've been getting a little practice in and pulled off my first axels. A little sloppy but getting better with them. And I managed to get a 540 out of my widow ng special. What a great feeling it is. Got a few tip stabs here and there and ground recoveries and getting better also

• Like 4

7 hours ago, reefaddicted said:

Ok so I've been getting a little practice in and pulled off my first axels. A little sloppy but getting better with them. And I managed to get a 540 out of my widow ng special. What a great feeling it is. Got a few tip stabs here and there and ground recoveries and getting better alsoemoji41.png

Nuts, you're gonna make me look bad. Seven years of flying and I can't even do an axel yet. Of course, I got into quads right after I started and that's where my time is spent. I will need to schedule time for duals if I plan to get any better. 

Great to hear that you're making progress.

I've been trying by flying horizontally across the window. When I'm brave enough I push with my top hand then pull hard and fast, immediately giving slack to both hands after. When I do this I usually just lost control of the kite. I feel like I'm not getting that same 'popping' getting like I do when pulling for the axle, and am thinking that might be the problem.

We get nice and consistent wind here but I'm usually flying at 5-7 knots not usually as high as 11.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Think of the half axel in two halves. First get the kite into a flare: a bit of slack on the top wing and then a harder input to get into a flare. Then a softer input on what was the old bottom wing to lift it out of the flare and then pull on both lines to power it away.

If you think of it this way, the transition to HA cascades is much easier.

You can also break the trick into two parts. Practice the flare bit first and then when you have got that, you can move onto the second half lifting it out of the flare and powering it off.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jaydub200 said:

Think of the half axel in two halves. First get the kite into a flare: a bit of slack on the top wing and then a harder input to get into a flare. Then a softer input on what was the old bottom wing to lift it out of the flare and then pull on both lines to power it away.

If you think of it this way, the transition to HA cascades is much easier.

You can also break the trick into two parts. Practice the flare bit first and then when you have got that, you can move onto the second half lifting it out of the flare and powering it off.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

This makes tonnes of sense! My newbie-hood is showing, but is there a good way to get out after the first "flare" without crashing? I'm going to try a few and see what happens, I think I've always tried to combine it with the other hand inputs and wound up fluttering like a leaf to the ground.

18 hours ago, reefaddicted said:

I'm not sure if I'm correct here but I feel like when doing a half axel I give less slack with my lower hand. Crap I need someone to come and watch lol or maybe I can video it next time I'm doing them

I bet this comes into things for me too. I definitely throw the lower hand forward, probably too much. 

Gah hope I can get some flying in today or tomorrow! Thanks both of you, It is great to hear multiple people try and describe these inputs!!

Also, those tutorial videos are excellent. I just found this video which, though not a tutorial, was the first time I realized you could half-axle at the edge of the window! I'm still not super confidant in the middle of the window so I'll have to try this out. 

Edited by Happyspoon
added a video
  • Like 1

It's usually a good way to learn a trick by figuring it out first at 6 feet before the window's edge, on good steady wind. The half axle is where I learned the difference between a pull, a pop, and a flick, and the difference between using my arm, my wrist and my fingers.
Try push, pop and flick, upper wing, upper wing and lower wing, accordingly.
Good luck!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agreed.  Much easier to learn the HA at the edge of the window in anything other than minimal winds.  Your reactions need to be razor sharp if you are going to succeed in the centre of the window.  Do it at the edge and everything slows down and yo have time to break the moves down into their individual components.  You won't need to give as much slack either.

• Like 1