KiteLife Forum

First Quadline Kite

photomom

• 2 years later...
On 9/19/2016 at 9:01 AM, makatakam said:

You may find that the leading edge of the sail flutters at higher speeds. If so, you can slip a very small diameter carbon rod into the seam to eliminate the flutter, or sew a stiffer material strip along it. See the photo I posted, the LE is attached to the front and back on this design for that purpose. I am also making a second kite where it only attaches to the front.

Can you elaborate a little on this?  Is it because there is no mesh in the "vents"?

2 hours ago, Zuul said:

Can you elaborate a little on this?  Is it because there is no mesh in the "vents"?

Yes. A loose edge will flutter, whether it's the leading or trailing edge. The leading edge must be either tautly stretched or otherwise stiffened to avoid this. The span of cloth between the tabs also affects how easily it will flutter. The shorter the distance between them the less chance of flutter. Sail harmonics will also come into play at some speed, but that's a different subject. Search New York Minute flutter or NYM flutter on this forum if you want to know more.

56 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Yes. A loose edge will flutter, whether it's the leading or trailing edge. The leading edge must be either tautly stretched or otherwise stiffened to avoid this. The span of cloth between the tabs also affects how easily it will flutter. The shorter the distance between them the less chance of flutter. Sail harmonics will also come into play at some speed, but that's a different subject. Search New York Minute flutter or NYM flutter on this forum if you want to know more.

OK.  I went back, looked at your design, and understand what you mean now.  Makes complete sense when you think about it.  I just didn't think about it until you pointed it out!  :)

Is the leading edge on yours dead-straight like it's shown in the illustration?  Or is the picture "not to scale" for simplicity?

11 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Looks to be a flat pattern, not a "flying" setup. Notice the dotted lines showing a regular 1.5, very much smaller. 

I would guess putting caps on would introduce some flex in the LE.

The typical rev-style sail has a curved LE pocket as sown (i.e. flat pattern).  That's not to say a straight LE won't work, it's just not how most are designed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zuul said:

The typical rev-style sail has a curved LE pocket as sown (i.e. flat pattern).  That's not to say a straight LE won't work, it's just not how most are designed. 

The pattern shown is straight, but it is a computer-generated illustration. It is a flat drawing as opposed to a cutting pattern. The pattern for the build does have a curved leading edge. 

P.S. -- I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the banana kite or the drawing I posted. I'm talking about my drawing, but it looks to me like Wayne is referring to the banana and Zuul is talking about my drawing. Hard to tell and confusing.

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

The pattern shown is straight, but it is a computer-generated illustration. It is a flat drawing as opposed to a cutting pattern. The pattern for the build does have a curved leading edge. 

P.S. -- I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the banana kite or the drawing I posted. I'm talking about my drawing, but it looks to me like Wayne is referring to the banana and Zuul is talking about my drawing. Hard to tell and confusing.

Yes, I was talking about your drawing.  I suspected that the drawing was not how the kite was cut, but figured it didn't hurt to confirm.