KiteLife Forum

Tip pivot advice?

andykaplan

I'm a developing rev flyer looking for some advice on tip pivots.  I'm feeling pretty good about my bicycle turns (center pivot rotation clock turns), although there is still some room for improvement -- but my tip pivots aren't real pretty and are very inconsistent.  

Any tips (other than "practice, practice, practice")?

Much appreciated.

By the way -- as far as I can tell, anything less than expert rev flyers are kind of like baby pigeons -- I never see them!  

• Like 1

All of the above.  The pivot point moves around, and the kite doesn't make smooth circles around the point. (Not too bad on overall altitude up/down). 

(I also find it's better in one direction than the other -- I find I have to be more conscious about moving my left (non-dominant) hand more than my right one.  And I find that parts of the circle -- for example, the top half or right half -- is smoother than the bottom.)

Try this: 

Face LE left and as you swing around to have the right wing low, keep your right hand tucked against your body. That should stabilize the wing and keep it from moving much. Now try the other side and do the same to your left hand. Linked together, we call that a ladder and can be up, down, or both ways. As practice - try doing 4 up and 4 down, trying to not lose altitude, all in the same amount of distance. You'll find it is easier up than down!  Feels like the hand trading is slower. The pinning of the hand works both ways. It keeps the hand from giving commands when it shouldn't. 

To start down, pause as you do the last "up", then continue on through to start down. Again - pinning the hand that is the pivot point - keeps that hand quiet. As you get better, you'll find you don't need the complete pin and just learn not to give commands with that hand.

Give it a go!

55 minutes ago, RaginCajun said:

Is there a kitelife tutorial video on this? 

Nope, but all it really consists of is making tight turns. You can practice by starting with wide turns, go to the left then to the right, turning at each end, and just make the turns tighter and tighter each time. Eventually, the kite will be doing a tip pivot at each end. Once you do a huge bunch of these tight turns, the muscle memory will be there to do just the pivot from a standing start.

The tip pivot looks even better if you do it just a bit tighter than the tip, pivoting the kite on a point 6 to 10 inches in from the tip. It gives the illusion of a tip pivot, but is crisper and easier to stop dead.

• Like 1

I'm a developing rev flyer looking for some advice on tip pivots.  I'm feeling pretty good about my bicycle turns (center pivot rotation clock turns), although there is still some room for improvement -- but my tip pivots aren't real pretty and are very inconsistent.  

Any tips (other than "practice, practice, practice")?

Much appreciated.

By the way -- as far as I can tell, anything less than expert rev flyers are kind of like baby pigeons -- I never see them!  

andtkaplan I am a baby pigeon also nice to meet you

Sent from my SM-T210 using KiteLife mobile app

Okay, had a bit of a chance to fly and try out the suggestions.  Definitely some improvement....

But:  Was working on the ladder up and down, while "pinning" (or at least immobilizing) the hand that wasn't turning.  As Wayne said, up was *much* easier than down.  In fact, i couldn't really ladder down without at least a bit of movement in the "off" hand.  The wing that was supposed to do the turn either didn't move enough or seemed to get stuck partway through the turn.  A tiny touch of reverse on the other wing made it happen, but then it didn't really tip pivot (a bit of center spin).

Any more advice for the ladder down?

Here's an exercise to try..

Don't think of it as a pivot or static spot but instead a very tight turn.. Visualize a circle the size of a Garbage Can Lid and make the "pivot" follow that arc. The pivot controller isn't true static, as that end of the kite is still flying and requires input in the form of small adjustments. Visualize your pivot turns as SMALL circle turns and practice with that Garbage Can ARC in your mind.. Then decrease the Garbage Can Lid Size Arc to a basketball arc and progress to a Softball and then even a Quarter. You'll find you maintain much more control throughout your maneuver if you concentrate on the small circles and let the big ones draw themselves..

• Like 2

You can also practice doing figure-eights, horizontal , vertical 8, and other angles very slowly. This will give you a very good idea of the input needed from the "stationary" hand, and the "switchover" when doing ladders. Remember to practice in both directions so you don't become "handed" (only able to do one direction). Doing it as a figure-eight makes the down pivots easier to learn. Again, make the figure-eights tighter and tighter and you will end up doing tip pivots. Do this exercise slowly in as good a wind as possible. Fighting the wind will not create muscle memory; you need to do as many relatively good repetitions as possible to improve the move.

JWharton - No, hadn't seen those videos, will check them out.  (JB's video tutorials here have been very helpful).

Riffclown - Thanks, will try it today.

See told you the pros would help you outso much knowledge, and yes JB videos are brilliant, when I improve a 'lot' lol I will probably subscribe to unlock the rest

Sent from my SM-T210 using KiteLife mobile app

15" handles come in handy in really light winds - for some! I use 13", 14", and 15" handles depending on wind conditions of the day, kite used, etc, - maybe even my state of mind! Mostly use 14" - they've become my all rounders, 13" for strong wind, 15" for light. Really depends on any given day!

I also use a little different bend on mine - about halfway between the outdoor bend and the indoor bend. The ergonomics work better for the way I hold my handles and the amount of brake I use while flying. Many have picked up my stuff and can't launch it, wondering why I have it setup like that! But it is a personal choice - that's what is so nice about Revs - everyone is a bit different, likes things a certain way, etc. Just remember there is no "right or wrong", just how you like it matters!

You might grow into the 15", just use them some and see, especially in lighter wind. Experiment! Otherwise pass them on to another!

Most useful bit of advice - look at the part you want to remain static. Visually stapling it to the sky so to speak.

In the case of a vertical tip pivot, the next most useful thing is to drive the whole kite forward an inch or two before initiating the pivot. The length of the drive depends on how much you want to hide it's existence.

In the case of horizontal tip pivots, gravity and momentum are your friend.

On September 25, 2016 at 5:56 AM, JWharton said:

JB videos are brilliant, when I improve a 'lot' lol I will probably subscribe to unlock the rest

By and by, I kind of equate this to "I'll take a lesson when I'm good enough".

The more you see / experience / learn, generally the faster and richer your growth is. ;)

• Like 1