KiteLife Forum

Tip pivot advice?

andykaplan

4 hours ago, JWharton said:

Lol I don't feel pressure just frustrated sometimes when my kite just won't do what I want it toemoji5.png

Sent from my SM-G903F using KiteLife mobile app

I've noticed among those I have taught and others who are just starting out that once they learn to turn it's over. They no longer will practice the very basic moves that underlie everything else that can be done with a Rev. 

Get into a routine of repeating everything you know how to do up to this time out on the field. Going straight, turning, hovering, etc. Do it very, very slowly (kite speed) in every position and in every direction. Do it at least five times, preferably ten. You don't have to do your reps back to back, but do the entire set of moves you know before moving on to just flying around or trying something new. Make the moves you know and the transitions between them clean and crisp as possible. Trust me, this will help immensely with anything new you try to do, and it functions as a "warm-up" exercise which will get you used to that day's wind conditions.

Practice STOPPING the kite in all directions in all positions, by hitting the brakes and giving slack simultaneously. Then, to get going again, give it slack and then pop your hands toward you and give it forward drive at the same time. This is known as "whump". The kite should go to full speed from standing still without the slow acceleration in between. Think of it as the opposite of a dive-stop. It will make all your moves much crisper. Watch JB fly (not the tutorials, but other videos) and you will see he does this with nearly every move, even if turning or backing up. I only mention it at this point because it is easier to incorporate early in the learning curve; it's much harder to undo what you've been doing all along and add it to your repertoire.

Sorry for getting a bit long-winded here, but it's so much easier to do now as opposed to unlearning things later.

• Like 2

Makatakam, sounds like excellent advice!

I'm still very much a beginner with only about 15 hours total on a Rev, INCLUDING the weekend I was at the NC kite clinic in Sept. It was an incredibly enlightening, enjoyable experience. I have been dying to get out and practice some more, it's been 3 weeks since I even touched a kite (just returned from vacation last night). I'm hoping it will be like riding a bike in that once you have learned you never forget. JB's a great instructor.... he never laughed at me, not even once :lol:

• Like 2

Everyone expresses themselves differently, kites are no different and finding your voice with them is a journey - I get off on that and can truthfully say I've only been genuinely frustrated a handful of times out of thousands over the past 11 years I've been instructing. :)

Fly like you feel!

• Like 1

Everyone expresses themselves differently, kites are no different and finding your voice with them is a journey - I get off on that and can truthfully say I've only been genuinely frustrated a handful of times out of thousands over the past 11 years I've been instructing.
Fly like you feel!

I think frustration was the wrong choice of words, I'm 44 and have still not got the hang of this English language, apologies for taking this thread off topic

• Like 1

Makatakam, sounds like excellent advice!
I'm still very much a beginner with only about 15 hours total on a Rev, INCLUDING the weekend I was at the NC kite clinic in Sept. It was an incredibly enlightening, enjoyable experience. I have been dying to get out and practice some more, it's been 3 weeks since I even touched a kite (just returned from vacation last night). I'm hoping it will be like riding a bike in that once you have learned you never forget. JB's a great instructor.... he never laughed at me, not even once

Waaaaàaaa! 3 weeks how do you cope I don't like going for 3 days without flying lol think I've got a problem

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JWharton said:

Waaaaàaaa! 3 weeks how do you cope I don't like going for 3 days without flying lol think I've got a problem emoji5.png

Now that is funny -- tragic, but funny. I share your addiction/affliction. Fortunately, there is no cure.

• Like 3