KiteLife Forum

Buggy time

Penny Lingenfelter

Penny,

I sold that firebee 1.0 and got a beamer2 3.6 first flight today and it flys so much slower but the pull is a lit more fun.... The buggy is next! thanks for the help and advice. I think I have got some sort of bug now I LOVE IT :wacko:

Ronnie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning,

Do you know how to equalize your lines? Though I'm not sure the lines you speak of are suppose to be all the same length.

I'm on hold for buggying. :wacko: Usually this time of year I have to stay away from it, so I don't over extend muscles I need for indoor flying. Unless...... the next two weeks I get the opportunity. But...... I better just stick to outdoor practice.. dog gone it.

BB

Penny

Lines can stretch a bit, especially on the stock ones supplied with the Beamer (as well as some of the other brands out there). Stake your lines on one end with a good firm stake and then stretch them out on the other end to see how much stretch and line difference there is in them. Usually, once they stretch good and hard they will stop stretching (well, not totally but not nearly as much as when they are new). Untie all the shorter lines and slide the sleeve up the line and then re-tie them so they are all equal length. You can also add short leader lines on your handles to help with line stretch. Get a piece of heavy line and put a loop on one end, larks head that loop to your handle and then put a couple knots in the other end at even increments. I have found that 2 inches apart works best. Start at the end of your leader line and work back towards your handles with as many knots as you can fit. Make sure to add the same distance on every leader line (all 4) and that the knots are all equal lengths from one handle to the other. The distance between the knots is not that important (2 inches or 2.5 inches or 3...etc) Just make sure that if you have 3 inches on one line you also have 3 inches on the other.

Once you install your extended leader lines on your handles, simply attach your flying lines onto there using the same larks head. As you fly and your lines start to stretch out, simply adjust them towards the handles to the next knot to take up the stretching. This also helps to quickly adjust your lines for different wind conditions as well.

Final note: Your lines make a huge difference in how your kite can perform. If you can, don't hesitate to get a good high quality line set and swap out your stock lines (you can save them for emergencies). Look into Shanti, Laser Pro Gold, or Q-power for some of the better line sets out there. Any one of those will have ultra strength with very minimal stretch as well as excellent glide when the kite is looped several times. You will be amazed at how much better your kite will fly with a good high quality line set on there.

Bring on the buggy!!! :wacko:

Untie all the shorter lines and slide the sleeve up the line and then re-tie them so they are all equal length.

Bring on the buggy!!! :wacko:

An easy way to do this is to pull on all 4 lines (sleevijng in this case), mark with a sm. point magic marker across all four lines and use that as the end fold for the loop you'll be making. Keeps it real simple. Don't forget to knot the end of your lines and burn them so they dont' fray. Keep your loops big enough to work with.

BB

Penny

Thanks Penny and wind,

Well the kite works fine now. :D I just bought a Flexifoil buggy last night (and put it togather the same night) :) and today i got my first ride the wind was choppy about 5 to 8 inland at the park where I go. It is harder than it looks :D I can stand and fly ...it is another matter when you set in the cart! going over on the beach in the AM they are calling for 18 MPH HUM.... and it is a continuious wind not realy sure how I am going to get the kite set up in the wind but gona go for it!. :w00t: Oh I did get dumped a few times on the first go around :wacko:

Keep you advised

Thanks Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
How's it going out there with the buggiers?  Anyone going to be at Sunset Beach the weekend before Long Beach?  I called Eli for info, but the young man said he doesn't have that # anymore. 

Anyone have Richard (Buggy Bison)'s #? 

BB

Penny

Hi Penny!

We will be going to Ocean Shores the weekend before WSIKF. Oh...that would be THIS weekend! :devil::wacko::(

To get a hold of Eli....you can call Brian or Heather at Windzup. Don't have their number in front of me, but John has their logo/ad on the Kitelife main page.

Have fun!!

Theresa

• 8 months later...

Sunset Beach Bum Buggiers still Rule the Road at the Edge of the Sea.. Come buggy On!

Phil has called for a buggy get together this weekend at Seaside. I spoke with Kurt Anderson today and was hoping he'd be able to get down there. But Jon... you who Jon. lol Jon is older then I realized and after 20,000 miles in the RV and a week of buggying, he's tired. I'm hoping he'll at least come down in the van. I get so few opportunities to see everyone down there. There's only a slight possibility Kurt will make it down. I wanted to toss him in an RV where he could nap as needed and we could go visit him. Like he says dream all we want... it just may not happen.

It's looking like it might be a gorgous weekend and low tides about 1-2 ish Kurt said.

I won't be able to get down there till Sat. night after my last indoor event of the season. (I think) I'm looking forward to some buggy time... but if the wind is light and I have to buggy even if I can't tack back... or if the wind is strong who will come get me after hours of buggying.... who will get me without Kurt there? He was always my buggy hero.

Pass the word.... Seaside Be there or be square.

BB

Penny :)

• 2 months later...
Sunset Beach Bum Buggiers rule the road at the edge of the sea. Buggy On!

Now that is from memory of a bumper sticker that Linda Anderson's NW Kites (?) put out some years ago. Sadly Linda is no longer with us, but her spirit lives on in our hearts.

It's time to buggy. I have no indoor close by, so when are the buggiers out in Ore? Not this weekend, but very very soon.

I feel the need for speed.... any buggiers out there? :)

BB

Penny

hello penny im ridein the beaches of wildwood nj

• 3 months later...

Just been getting into buggying myself the past few months - after having playing around with a 3, 4m before that.

I agree, definitely a good idea to check the length of lines every few months.

Tip, if you're melting sleeve ends, on replacement or whatever, use a piece of wire to keep the weave open.

With the line lengths and also tuning, your kite should be able to sit quite nice into the wind- depending on what you own (some are better than others) - don't forget the safety gear.

Just had my first majorly obe the other day, a friend watching said it was pretty spectacular, and while I was wearing a helmet, the knee pads sure aren't going to help you if they're only looking after the car.

I tell people I've been thrown out, flown out and they never told me the first time you can go just as fast backwards as forwards. I do remember Ron holloring after me.. "Penny.... it's a long walk back!" as I buggied straight down the beach the first time. Most of my OBE's have been with OPK's. :confused!: Buggy On!

lucky you i had to learn the hard way and had some long walks back at least you had a mentor good for you penny i learned alone in the cold of the winter and the goal was to stay away from the water on the beach and when the temp was 18 degrees that was what you did :confused!: