KiteLife Forum

I bought some finger lights for my kite because I read about them on here. I couldn't figure out how to attach them with the elastic bands that go around your finger until I realized, just take off the finger strap and use kite string. I was then trying to secure them pointing downward with some success using more kite string. I took it up to the field and when I got it up in the air, WOW ! ! ! AMAZING ! I also realized that it does not matter which way they point because they light the fixture as well. In fact, the ones on the wing tips are just flopping around in all directions loosely. Just make sure they are secured to the kite. The video does them NO justice at all. In person they are extremely visible. In the video they look like they are blinking which kind of looks like turn signals. I put a green one on the nose and a blue one on the tail. I could have made them all red because the shape of the kite makes it easy to determine nose and tail.....This was just a trial to even see if the kite would fly with the added weight of the light fixtures. I must add that this is a Prism 4D made to fly in even 0 wind. Which in fact it will. I used this kite because of the weight factor..... less weight to get off the ground. The wind was not even very strong....very light in fact....the weight of the lights was probably more than the weight of the kite on its own. But it flew great ! I am sure in moderate wind, these finger lights would work on any kite. I am very impressed and extremely excited that I can fly at night now. Expect more and better videos to come. I also want to add that these lights were only $1 for one of each red, green, and blue light. (3 finger lights for a dollar) They also have an on/off switch. I also want to add that the batteries are NOT replacable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2_1_fEqNo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daougie said:

so could you please post a picture of the lights and let us know whare you purchased them?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

I got them at a local Family Dollar store. I have seen them at Walmart in the cheap toy section beside the dinosaurs and zoo animals etc. But they can be bought online VERY cheap ! 

9305.jpg

Mak, THESE ARE AMAZING ! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO visible in person ! I was worried about the direction they were facing at home....when i got to the field.......it made no difference. I couldn't even see the blinking in person that the camera picked up.....the blinking was just them flopping around I suppose. The green and blue on the spine were still visible through the sail even though they were on the back of the kite.....Now that I have seen them in flight. I should have had them pointing at the sail to light it up......regardless, I AM SO SATISFIED ! ! !  I CAN FLY AT EFFING NIGHT !  

• Like 1

I get the finger lights by the 100 pack from amazon.. A few other lights that show up very well at night are the Nite Ize clip on. is very bright and has a flash mode. The carabiner also slips snugly on Rev spars and only needs a small rubber band to hold in place.. You can see those on the back of my Bolero Stack. It wasn't totally dark but they still showed up pretty well.

I also like finding the strip chase lights in the automotive section that run really well on 3 CR2032 batteries in series.

• Like 3

I have used the See'Em LED Mini Spoke Lights clipped to the bungees at the leading edge of my rev.  They are light and pretty visible and seem to hold direction pretty well.   http://www.niteize.com/product/See-Ems.asp

However, I struggled with depth perception on how far away people walking were compared to where my kite was.  I really worried a bit about bonking someone just because in watching my kite it was hard to watch for non-lit pedestrians walking into the flight path. I would love to try night flying again somewhere without the foot traffic nearby.  Or I just need to post my spouse out at the kite end to watch for them..... 

• Like 1

Those LED fingers are the best! I've been playing around with them this weekend too! I love the extra weight they add to the Quantum. I've actually taken it out once now with a light clipped to the spine just for the extra weight!

My video is particularly unimpressive (what did you shoot yours on outtakontrol?) But added for the record :)

If is dusk for the first 30s then full dark.

We used the finger straps included with thr LEDs but I might try kite line next time (great idea outtakontrol).

Riffclown, that blinky stack looks totally amazing, even when it isn't too dark. Love it. How heavy are those chase lights? It is a really cool effect.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Happy, My vids were a combination of Tablet video for the Stack and GoPro footage for the Skydog..

As for the weight of the chase lights, the batteries are heavier than the light strip. IMO,  About the weight of a finger light but I haven't actually compared side by side...

• Like 1