KiteLife Forum

Kite Hard Case

Wanted to share my Travel Case for all my framed kites. Holds all my framed kites Dual and Quad including 2 quad stacks easily.

Large bag is handles, smaller case is the line sets arranged by length..

I'm told the Skyline cases show up on eBay from time to time..

Case.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a nice case. It would need beach wheels for me. Looks like it could get heavy real fast. And... it needs a couple of big HAZMAT stickers on either side ! :devil:

If this biggers-better trend keeps going, I might consider getting a 50 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can. With beach wheels...

• 9 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 9:15 PM, riffclown said:

Wanted to share my Travel Case for all my framed kites.

I think the discussion here missed the word "travel". A large case swallows many kites obviously (though not clear how many) that are more protected than ordinary softer kite bags can offer. You don't even need to fly (as in air travel) to benefit from a hard case (though I've seen horrible package handling from an aeroplane window before getting off). Just going by a long journey bus were other heavy luggage could be thrown on you kites in the luggage room under would be quite worrying. Besides, if you don't bring a very large amount of kites this case could offer a nice complement to the normal carry on luggage. My traveling has been more modest - just tested (two) different thick walled paper tubes as check in luggage i.e.

Good old Rev roll up bag here for my quads - just about all I fly at a festival anymore. I put a second strap on it and made it a backpack style, leaving my hands free to carry my cooler and small bag of flying goodies. In a pinch, I can roll a tarp and/or a sun shelter in it, especially if I plan on an all day affair! 

• Like 1

Same here Wayne. Holds up to 15 kites with plenty of room for Rev doo dads. I have a small separate bag for single & dual lines and gear. I can't fathom going to the beach and bringing every kite I have along. I usually spend more time picking out kites to fly beforehand than picking out clothes and supplies. My wife calls me fussy when it comes to the kites.

• Like 1

traveling by car allows for many carrying options,

airlines want a hard-sider for insurance coverage to be allowed, then just wait until you try to fit one of those monstrosities into a rental car with friends in tow.

wheels are nice to roll around street corners, but on sand you still need a dolly or something with fat tires

Unfortunately these comments and my past experience all leads to a variety of carrying cases being necessary.  Double sized golf club carrier case by SBK (for stacks of baby revs), 3 single bag sized hard sided SBK carriers, an Orvis fishing pole carry-on sized case, a couple of Rev bags, a couple of soft sided bags for banners and dualies, expandable map tubes and Prism's violin styled case. Hard plastic sewage tubes for lighted kites that don't break-down, with screwed on end-caps 

I have wagons, both rigid and folding, folding shopping carts, a hand-towed golf cart, a beach sand tired cart and several folding shipping crates on wheels.

Too much crap to carry on my back, that's for sure!

This is what I use for a hard case:

https://www.amazon.com/US-Art-Supply-Telescoping-Drafting/dp/B00PR9KYJQ

It is not perfect, but it carries 4 sails easily and linesets and handles can be tucked in too. What is not perfect about it? The strap comes off the middle connection and the handle slides so it has to be slid into correct balance spot. But it is fairly sturdy, holds just what I need, and is easy to use. I have been allowed to carry it on domestic flights and not asked to check it yet. I stuff an extra shift at each end to cushion ends for trips.

It got left at home for this trip...traveling light right now- one travel frame, two sails, one handle set and two line sets. Now where IS the wind???

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app