KiteLife Forum

Help me pick a kite. PLEASE

MonsterMike

Ok people I need some advice. First let me start by saying I'm not going to be kiteboarding,kite surfing, or land buggy stuff. I may try the jumping thing if the mood strikes. That being said I'm looking to buy a new Parafoil in the next few days. I've flown stunt kites in the past but after buying my son a cheesy 1.4m parafoil let's just say I'm hooked and want something bigger. id like to get a good trick kite but I also want some pull to it. The wind where I'm at usually is about 5-10 mph with the occasional day with 15-20. I've looked at a "few" kites lol. Few being a severe understatement. I've kinda narrowed it down to the HQ Symphony 2.5,HQ Beamer 3.0 or the Slingshot B2 and B3. I'd like a 4 line kite to be honest I'm kind of over the 2 line bit and could go for a little more challenge. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I'd like to give you a whole lot of information at once BUT please respond and let me know what might be too much information..

Start here..

After reading that then read further here..Keep in mind there is a vast difference between the Symphony Sport size 2.5 and the Beamer Power Kite 3.0 Sizes..  The HQ Symphony is a 2 line kite and while it can be converted doesn't meet your 4 line preference without some extra expense of lines, bridles and handles..

I also started out in power kites saying I just wanted to fly static. Once you really feel the power, sooner or later, you'll want to try harnessing that power into motion. . (please forget jumping at least for a long while until you have an absolute TON of experience with kites 5M and bigger). While a 3M kite is big enough to get you airborne, it's not nearly enough to land safely. The time to figure that out is not when you are 15ft above the ground.. Seeing your Femur from the inside is not something you want to do.

The experienced powerkiters will tell you almost without exception to go with a 3M 4 line fixed bridle kite like the Beamer you mentioned.. I'm going to agree with that BUT I'd highly suggest you look at the pictures in the other post linked above and realize what you are getting yourself into with it.. 3M is a lot of kite in 15+ flying static.. Even going from something like a Symphony 2.2 (my favorite kite) to a 2M Beamer or Toxic is a big step up in power and performance but not from the "stunting" aspect.

This is a 2M kite with a buggy.. Granted the winds were pretty strong that day. 35+

Here's a very experienced pilot (Chris Shultz) with a 4M kite in 15MPH winds..

IF you are near some powerkiters, please start out with  OPK (other People's Kites) for at least one trip to better hone what is right for you. Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of POWER Kiting..

Thank riffclown. By the way not sure there is such a thing as to much information lol. The whole femur thing is what's going to keep me from jumping for sure. Not to mention I've had two back surgeries with the last resulting in a fusion of my spine. I really like the symphony 2.5 but would instantly want to make it a quad line. After reading all the info you left and thanks again I'll probably go ahead and order the Beamer or the toxic you mentioned. Thanks again for the input,I'll try to post a video on its maiden flight. Good looking out for fellow kite fliers! It's much appreciated.

• Like 2

I've flown it.. The  Alpha is not a bad kite.. Personally, I think the Beamer is worth the extra money though in quality of materials and performance.  Toxic is faster in the air than the Beamer but has a smaller window.    If you really want a Symphony 4 line.. let me know, I can mod one for you. Just supply the kite and materials.. Where are you located? I might consider letting you try one of my modded 2.2's for a few weeks.  it will surprise you with how nimble it is in a decent wind. It will also surprise you with how much pull it can provide when the wind picks up.. My first buggy ride was with the converted Symphony 2.2(.4)

• Like 2

I live in Stockton CA. The modded 2.2 is awesome the propeller spins in that video is the kind of stuff I want to do.Not sure if I could do that with the Beamer though and like I said with my back being I. The shape it is I probably should stay away from the hard pulling kites. Which makes the 2.2 mod even more appealing. Where are you located?

I'm in Eastern Virginia.. We'll work something out.. I'll send you a private message shortly..

I've seen one kite from the factory that will perform almost as well in the stunt category.. The Skydog Powerfoil will stunt very well..

The Spider Kites Smithi had some good maneuverability but I didn't enjoy flying it nearly as much as the Symphony or the Skydog..

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

for fun and jumps at low and medium winds 3M Beamer(quad) or Slingshot B3(dual) are the best. for sure a bigger kite will take you up and if you are not on any kind of wheels i do not see the point for something bigger  

This is dangerous advice. ANYONE who has experience jumping will tell you the safe entry size is 5M (no smaller). Anything smaller will get you airborne but does not have enough float to land safely.. They will also tell you to start with a 3M kite to learn to fly  but not to even think about jumping until you are ready to fly a bigger wing. Most common jumping size kite is 8M.

While Jumping is sensational and attracts many to the powerkiting side of the sport. It also inherently carries the highest risk. The sport of Power kiting is plagued by people who ruin our opportunity for flying fields due to inexperience and unwise decisions..

5 hours ago, Mikelp3586 said:

I just picked a Beamer 5m up myself, itchin to get her in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Great kite. Take your time and learn everything you can about that kite. Know instintively where the power window is and don't be afraid to just let go and thust the kite killers if needed. In factpractice letting go.  It is a lot of kite and needs to be respected. Start in very low winds and find your zone of confidence. Fly safe and don't put yourself in a situation where the kite will surprise you.

• Like 2

agree with you riffclown 5M is ideal but....if you are on 20 or 30's. mi sensation is the guy is way pass that and just for safety i think 3M is enough. i experienced 3M and 5M and with 5M i had some really hard time to not go to much then i want. mi opinion and experience may not be relevant  

• Like 1

Fair point in general Riff, but one could say that telling someone to jump while kite surfing is also dangerous, triple flip on a BMX bike or taking a flight suit through narrow canyons, that's partly what the appeal is. ;)

Point is, yes it's dangerous - let's stick with identifying that fact, providing disclaimer and allowing for the discussion to continue.

/admin 2 cents

• Like 3

I would hope we all know the inherent facts of either harnessing or holding on to basically a parachute! Lol these are definitely not for the faint of heart. Before I bought my first foil I watched tons of vids and read tons of materials on flying characteristics. The thing I see a lot is people just don't respect the power that is in their hands and that's when people get in trouble.

• Like 1

@John Barresi Agreed, and I've "tempered" my original post accordingly. I'd like to also point out that in all those examples, the individuals have mastered their craft before making the dangerous attempt.. If somone is trying canyon runs the first time they jump with a wing suit or triple flips the first time the ride the motorcycle then they are far more likely to be a statistic..

All that being said I'll also touch back to my comment earlier to @Mikelp3586 Please enjoy your kite with great regard and know how to fly it safely. If I can personally be of any assistance in helping you in the world of powerkiting.. Let me know..

• Like 2

[mention=1]John Barresi[/mention] Agreed, and I've "tempered" my original post accordingly. I'd like to also point out that in all those examples, the individuals have mastered their craft before making the dangerous attempt.. If somone is trying canyon runs the first time they jump with a wing suit or triple flips the first time the ride the motorcycle then they are far more likely to be a statistic..
All that being said I'll also touch back to my comment earlier to [mention=10681]Mikelp3586[/mention] Please enjoy your kite with great regard and know how to fly it safely. If I can personally be of any assistance in helping you in the world of powerkiting.. Let me know..

I picked up a 7.7 twister last summer I'm sure I can handle the Beamer! Now that kite I'd be safe to say is crazy but a blast to fly!

You must be talking about the Symphony Beach..

I found the Symphony Pros to be well built and quite sturdy. I currently have several (modded) that I use to introduce new folks to four line kiting. If you've looked at my vids or related posts, you know my message on this particular kite is consistent and has been for years...

• Like 1

Don't forget guys -- you have to take into consideration, also, the weight of the pilot. I weigh in at 130 pounds, so a 3m kite will let me down a lot more gently than someone who weighs 200 pounds. A 8m kite in my case would probably keep me aloft for days.:lol::lol::lol: