KiteLife Forum

Mid-life newbie with a size issue.

SoggyWombat

My apologies as this question must get a little boring to the experienced flyers in the forum. That being said, I can only ask...

I am for all intensive purposes a beginner other than a basic single line past that most adults would have. Nonetheless, I have always loved kites and with my impending mid-life crisis and inability to buy a sports car, a flash kite should do the trick...truth be told, kites tend to make me happier and I am not entirely sure why. With them in the air, I just tend to forget about the world and smile as clichéd as that may seem.

Now...what to buy so that I don't destroy something in its first few flights and hate myself for it.

So, any recommendations for a dual line stunt kite that I can have a real blast with without fear of destroying it in its maiden flight. I am sure in time I will want to learn tricks and stunts, and I am prepared to do the study and take my time, but initially I just want to zoom around in the window.

Budget...anything up to $500 dollars really. I did read that a Prism Quantum Pro could be used by a beginner, but I am not sure of how much truth there is in that? I wont lie when I say that I do want something impressively BIG; shallow? Maybe I am completely wrong in wanting that, and it wont meet my needs...please tell me if so.

Either way, any recommendations or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again.

Soggy.

• Like 1

Stop the press!

DONT BUY ANYTHING just yet. I have some that you can try first.

Entry level;
Jammin by sky dog at under $200.
Inter to Experienced;
I have some Temptations at 7 foot wingspan.
I have some Sevens at 8 foot wingspan.

I even have a two line foil to play with.
We can sort something out. However, if you are busting to buy something a capable trainer at a budget price is the Jammin.

I'm at work currently so I'll check back with more.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 4

Cheers SparkieRob. Appreciate it mate.
I hadn't even considered parafoils but after YouTubing them they look like a blast. 
Not entirely sure which direction to go, but at 6'4 and 120kgs I doubt kite size will be an issue? Lol
Soggy

For $500 you could get both!
I'll pm you some Aussie kite shops, won't post it here as they aren't a forum sponsor. This will ensure you can get it before Christmas. Post this time of year can be killer slow.

@SoggyWombat Definitely get together with SparkieRob before you buy. He's right in your area, and has been known to fly a kite or two. He's quite adept at Single-, Dual-, and Quad-line kites, and will be of immense assistance in your eventual choices. However, remember that what appeals to you is ultimately the best choice. He can recommend those that will fly best in your area and those that you may want for flying in unusual conditions. He knows his stuff. 

Consider buying used kites for learning dual and/or quad. You can proceed to beat the crap out of them without too much concern for cost, and they will give you a good idea of how involved you may want to get. A lot of people on this forum have "gone over the top" as far as kites are concerned -- it can become a sweet addiction. Ask Rob how many kites he has.

Good luck and many smiles on your venture.

P.S. -- after posting this I decided I should count how many kites I actually have, including single, dual and quad. My total count is 27. My name is Mark, and I am an addict . . . . . . . 

• Like 4

OPK (other people's kites) is a great way to find something that informs you of what it is you may be looking for. And test your desire to move on into more and greater things as you progress. But the input of an experienced pilot can really help with getting started.

15 hours ago, SoggyWombat said:

. I did read that a Prism Quantum Pro could be used by a beginner

This is true. The QPro is a tough kite, but a difficult kite to fly well. It demands perfectly timed inputs to trick nicely, but is capable of all the tricks. Straight out flying ? The QPro is top-notch, but a beginner would get pretty much the same experience from the Hypnotist. The Hypnotist  offers a little better durability and would keep a beginner challenged for at least a year.

As was mentioned above, buying used kites will fill your bag faster. Also, think about kites for different conditions, as well as a back-up, so you can keep flying when you (inevitably) break your goto kite... Nothing worse than being grounded while you wait for a part to be shipped !

• Like 1

No apologies necessary, I really enjoy hearing the advise even after several years of exploring the world of kites.  You have received excellent advise from people who have been my mentors on my journey through KiteLife.  I have done all the above suggested things & can say that for me it just keeps getting better.  Follow your heart or even just your whims.  I bought kites because of their colors for some time.  I liked blue & white, sky & clouds I thought.  Don't worry about being in a big hurry to fly em all or learn everything at once.  It is the journey down the path that always pleases me the most.  Well at least for me that is true.  Best wishes & hope to see your kites fly someday.  SHBKF

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

...and down the rabbit hole she went.

You'll have a bit of info overload for a while as at each new kite you see will lead you to another. It's ALL good so don't worry. Set you budget and give yourself maybe 10% wiggle room...

Hoping to arrange a "meet and greet" soon. Nothing beats holding a set of straps/handles/winder in your and hearing the gentle rustle of ripstop.

• Like 1