KiteLife Forum

A Train in the works.

Daougie

I received a kit for making a 60 section kite train for my birthday. The kit contains a bunch of bamboo, some fittings, 60 blank sails, two weights of string, elastics, and one page of instructions. So i now get to combine two of my favorite hobbies, art and kites. Here is a sample of some completed sails. d623f892a0d99ea4aecc6e1c25fae7b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Yes the colours will fade fairly fast. I am still experimenting with different paints and markers. I haven't found anything great yet. Honestly for me this is a lot of fun. I just hope that it flies and looks OK for awhile. If this experiment works out l'ĺl try another with better materials.

7 hours ago, Daougie said:

Yes the colours will fade fairly fast. I am still experimenting with different paints and markers. I haven't found anything great yet. Honestly for me this is a lot of fun. I just hope that it flies and looks OK for awhile. If this experiment works out l'ĺl try another with better materials.

Try some silk flower paint. Spray or brush style is available at lots of hobby stores, i.e., Michael's. It is more of a dye than a paint, and depending how heavy and how wet you lay it on will determine its longevity, but it holds up better than marker, overall. Multiple strokes with a thinned medium should give the best results. Thick applications tend to flake and peel. If you look at the right side of this kite, you can see what will happen if the application is too dry and/or too thick. This was sprayed straight from the can, undiluted, with red and blue, and feathered in between to accomplish the fade from blue to red. I did it outside, in a light wind, and the right side was a bit more exposed to the breeze, so it dried quickly. The left side had more time to soak into the material, and you can plainly see the difference it makes. The white lattice was done with 3M blue painters' tape, which was removed after it dried. This kite has about 3 years of fairly frequent use. It is my "go-to" kite for very light wind flying, weighing in at 143 grams / 4.3 ounces.

DSCN2637.JPG

• Like 1