KiteLife Forum

Hawaiian Setup

jimicarl

Please bear with me on this. I'm guessing this topic has been discussed to excess. But I need some insight.

I guess you could call me a beginner. I still have an early Skynasaur to fly, but haven't tried the new-tech stuff. Always wanted a Hawaiian & finally picked up a brand new one. I know it's kind of old-teck..., but I'm not much into acrobatics or fancy tricks. I want the power, and I want real sails. A real wing. I'm stoked. Feel like a little kid. Can't wait for the weekend. :lol:

When assembling it for the first time, I noticed that the bridle was installed backwards on one side. I figured out which way was right & reinstalled the wrong one (duh). The loops are rigged with the pen-mark centered. But that seemed to far back, to me. I moved it back 1/4" (moved the tip of the bridle forward by 1/4"). But that still seems to far back. :)

I'll have time to experiment this weekend, but thought maybe I could short-cut that process a bit, with the benefit of an expert's wisdom.

Can anybody out there provide me with some hints for optimum adjustment of the bridles? Front vs. back? Sideways? B)

Much appreciate anything you have for me :innocent:

I don't own a Hawaiian, so I can't give you dimensional specifics, but for the up / down adjustments here's a good rule-of-thumb.

Assemble the kite, and lay it on its back. Pick up the kite by the bridle attach points, and notice the angle at which it naturally hangs. The nose should be higher than the lower tip of the spine, at an angle somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees of angle from the floor. For the math part, multiply the length of the spine by .017. Multiply that times the number of degrees you want to start with, and you'll have a measurable value in inches that the nose should be above the tail of the spine. For a 34" spine, 10 degrees is about 5 3/4", for a 48" spine, 10 degrees is about 8 1/8". That will get the kite airborn, and allow you to adjust it properly for flight.

(sinØ X hypotenuse)

As a side note, the SIN and the TAN of any angle from 1/2 degree to about 10 degrees is very close to .017 per degree. (SIN 1/2° = 0.00872, divided by 1/2 = 0.01745 per degree - - - SIN 10° = 0.17364, divided by 10 = .01736 per degree. TAN numbers are similar.)

That means you can calculate the rise by multiplying .017 times the angle times the length of the item at that angle, and you'll be within 10% of the exact figure. If you need the exact numbers use a calculator with trig functions or look it up in a trig table, but for off-the-cuff rough calcs, it's pretty close. It ONLY works for angles in this range. :)

For most early TOTL stunt kites like the Hawaiian & Spinoff, the bridle came in two pieces, a long section (with bridle setting mark) and a short section, larksheaded onto a pigtail which was the line attachment point. The long section attaches between the top spreader/leading edge connector and the center-t, while the shorter section (outhaul) attaches between the lower spreader/leading edge and the pigtail.

Regards,

Cal Yuen

Vancouver BC Canada