KiteLife Forum

3 meters quad foil

Edmond Dragut

i just received a quad 3 meters foil and after some fly test i have some problems. The kite is having 21 tow points at 3 rowsIMG_0984.JPG for upper edge and 8 for break (check the picture)

1 - at sharp turns the foil is tending to pack the inside turn side

2 - on revers fly is tending again to pack from top edge

i add some pigtail on some of tow points from upper edge and that improve the flight  but is not enough.

any ideas ? 

These style of kites have no internal diagonal (fabric) bracing. So bunch up when not moving forward with enough speed to inflate them firmly. They usually don't have air transfer holes between the ribs.

Also the B and C bridle lines (2nd and 3rd line from front) are situated too far forward and offer no support beyond the half way cord mark of the wing.

It's a shame as with the same amount of effort during manufacture this bridal placement could be corrected very easily.

Not sure what the easy answer is?? 

I too bought a cheapie when I first started power kiting and I'm sorry to say I cut it up and made it into windsocks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chook said:

I too bought a cheapie when I first started power kiting and I'm sorry to say I cut it up and made it into windsocks.

Been there, done that !

My very first dual line foil would not fly at all, that is when you realise that you need to go with reputable makes !

Bill 

You can see here the extra row "D" of bridals to support the rear of the foil on a quality kite. Joel is restraining the kite after a learner got into a death spiral at launch after a handle slipped out of his hand.

IMG_8383.JPG

The brake lines work by adjusting the wings very trailing edge, just like ailerons on an aircraft. The 4 rows support the wings shape. At speed we reflex (let the brakes off to actually move the trailing edge slightly higher than the natural position of the airfoil) the trailing edge for even more speed. 

In the shot you can see how far back the kite is supported. The brakes are pulled on here to slow the kite for the photo. This is me with my 13.4 square meter Peter Lynn Vapor.

vapor.jpg

And my 6.5 m2 on a beach in Queensland Australia.

DSC_4290.JPG

Hope this gives you some idea of the location of the support bridals.:)