KiteLife Forum

Decisions

podenbeck

So I am thinking about my next dual line purchase.  I have a Quantum and a Zephyr.  I am looking to get something on the higher end of the spectrum that has high trickability in the sweet spot of 7-15 mph.  I live in Montana so the wind does not stay super consistent.  If wind is low I can always fly the Zephyr.  I was looking at either a Benson or a Sky Sport Design.  There are so many options for each in this wind category I am having a hard time zeroing in on which kite.  Benson Superfly looks pretty sick but so does a Deep Space.  The Sky Sport Designs kites are so customizable it is hard far me to figure out which kite to even look at.  

Any recommendations?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Skyburner is up and running again?  I just looked at their site the other day and it still said they were restructuring.  If this is true this changes everything.  Is this what your team ordered? http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SBWM

Edited by podenbeck
Little more info needed
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, podenbeck said:

Skyburner is up and running again?  I just looked at their site the other day and it still said they were restructuring.  If this is true this changes everything.  Is this what your team ordered? http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SBWM

Yup. :)

Skyburner is again producing small quantities of select models (including the WM) thanks to the skilled and well known assistance of @stapp59 (Tappestry Kites).

https://www.facebook.com/TappestryKites/

More color info...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TappestryKites/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1821986231391047

==

Here are my new kites...

These are going to @windpoacher (Eli)...

End of the day, I don't think anyone else is actually producing competition quality kites in the US... Skyburner (Jon & Marieanne Trennepohl) and Mr Tapp (who makes his own designs too including the Enigma).

Otherwise, the next nearest is @Lam Hoac up in Canada - he also makes kick ass kites, more in the high end exotic range.

I think everything else sold by American manufacturers is made in China - gotta look to Europe or Asia for other high end dual line kites.

If I'm forgetting any other boutique sport kite makers in North America, please mention them - they deserve recognition. :)

• Like 1

7-15mph is the upper of a standard. Maybe look at a;
"Light Vent"
"Mid Vent"
Or even a "Strong"

Skysport (Lam Hoac) does a few in the vents,
The Superfly range from Benson Kites covers that but it may be a bit of a hand full at 15,
The Deepspace has a Std and Vented that would be good,
SKD (SportKiteDesign) have the MXS in Strong that would suit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I had a bunch of vented kites, and although I love to fly duallies, any wind over 15mph has me grabbing for a Rev. Yes, I flew my vented duallies in winds up to 30mph, but it just stopped being fun around 15-20mph. A full-vent quad is perfectly comfortable & fun to fly in 15mph wind.

If you're looking for a good duallie to take care of the 10-20mph range, I never flew anything better than the QPro VV. It will fly a little lower than 10mph, and up to 30mph if you're willing to stand out there in that kinda wind. I was never able to break mine, it's built like a tank. You might appreciate the familiar Prism feel, and I think the QPros are still made in Seattle.

• Like 2

I think my "favorite" vented dual lines are as follows.... I say "favorite" because unlike quads which typically get more stable with venting, vented dual lines are pale comparisons to normal models (SUL/UL/standard).

The Shiva by Cavelier du Ciel, no longer made... Best in its mid vent configuration.

Sea Devil Mid Vent (by Lam Hoac) reframed in strong Aerostuff rods from Japan.

And, the vented X-Masque (by R-Sky) but it only handles well in the mid vent configuration, for my taste.

I really dislike it when my handling (steering) gets mushy and underpowered... Full vent kites may load up going straight or through wide turns, but almost always lose pressure (and drive) in sharp corners. :) 

What weight and length of lines would you guys recommend in those conditions?

Sent from my SM-N920V using KiteLife mobile app

You could use #90 for that. If the kite is getting a little unruly switch to #150 but #90 will do.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So I have got the funds together.  Now I just have to choose custom colors.  I am debating whether I should have the community crowd source my decision.  I have like 20 variations but have narrowed it down to around 5.  I would like to know what people think of the 5 I have narrowed it down to,

These are the 5.  Which one does everyone like?

Black-widow-1.jpg

Black-widow-2.jpg

Black-widow-3.jpg

Black-widow-4.jpg

Black-widow-5.jpg

• Like 2