KiteLife Forum

Cheap kite for very light winds

Rick Nelson

My situation is a bit different than most on the forum.  I want to apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

I am a volunteer working with a local non-profit organization dedicated to providing services to victims of domestic violence and abuse.  One of our annual events is a community kite festival.  We have been pretty successful with this event, and now have the local city government helping sponsor, as well as other service related non-profit organizations.  This is my first year helping with the kite festival, and it looks like it will be the biggest festival ever.

Winds at past events have been Feast or Famine, either enough wind to fly the hood of a '57 Chevy, or dead calm.  Since we will have local news coverage this year, I want to be sure we have at least a few kites in the air regardless of wind conditions.  I think we are covered for light, moderate, and even fairly brisk wind conditions.  My worries are with calm to very light wind conditions.

Can anyone recommend a good kite for very light wind conditions that can be flown by an absolute beginner, is as inexpensive as possible, and can be delivered to North Alabama before the end of February?  I would consider building my own kite if plans are available. (I have never built a kite, but I have built a couple of experimental airplanes and an RC airplane.)  Building my own might allow me to build a few extra for others to fly.  Simple is better, stable is preferred, and bright colors get bonus points.

Thanks,

Rick

All of the kite festivals I've been to have "make your own" paper kites that kids can color and build. They run around with em if the wind is low... but they work and they're cheap. Chicago Kite is one vendor that I've seen using them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Hi, Rick, and welcome to the forum.

There are many single, dual and quad-line kites that will fly in low-wind or zero-wind conditions. Unfortunately, they are not what I would call "cheap" because they require special materials and methods in the building process. The possibility of you completing one before the event if you build it yourself are good, but building it and learning to fly it efficiently are slim, unless you have years of no-wind experience.

My recommendation is to contact any kite clubs in a 200-mile radius and get them to join in the festivities. You can check with the AKA (American Kiteflyers Association) for info that may help. Check for kite stores in the area. Usually the owners and staff are avid flyers and may be able to help, and will usually set up a sales tent at the fest. Many will be able to fly several demos per day to entertain the crowd.

Unfortunately, kites and kite flyers are at the winds' mercy. Good luck in your efforts.

P.S. -- Say hello to MaryLou for me.

• Like 2

Rick,

Check out Kites In The Sky. They have kite kits which might be good as you can get a boat load cheap. You can also have the folks in your organization decorate them!. Most of the kites are 5mph+, however there are two that are listed at 3+: The Butterfly and ZiggZaggy

https://kitekits.com/collections/intermediate-kite-kits

I believe the person who's company this is is a KiteLife member, I don't remember who it is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vern Balodis said:

Check out Skyburner Prodancer. Kites & Fun Things, Jon and Marieanne Trennepohl in Plymouth MI.
www.kitesandfunthings.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using KiteLifeemoji768.png mobile app

He did say cheap - I wouldn't call the Pro Dancer that, by any means!

• Like 1