KiteLife Forum

B-Series ... Reflex ... B-flex

kwmf

3 hours ago, kwmf said:

_DSC0433 Reflex Classic.jpg

Actually, IMO, that's them pointing out where they removed JB's name from the center panel....

If you really want to know how Revolution feels about U,  take a look at Lolly's Youtube page.. She didn't even put U in RevolUtion..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKDlYcTidUNQvZ58qpwfg

Revoltion.JPG

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, riffclown said:

I know how you feel. There's already a demand for the Zens..

Funny - but before now - not so much! People were disillusioned with how hyped they were when first introduced. Most were expecting a super light wind version with all the benefits most come to like about the 1.5 "B", not a sail that more closely resembles a Rev 1. My most common comment to me about it - "it feels different!" DUH!!!!  :(

On February 6, 2017 at 0:23 PM, makatakam said:

The "Barresi" panel layout is John's(?) design in collaboration with Bazzer Poulter and other members of i-Quad? I would really like to know who to blame its true origins.

The layout was my creation, period.  Bazzer came into things post-B creation.

In depth, the original version had curved panels but Rev didn't want to sew curves, so I adjusted it to be straight.

And lets be SUPER clear here...

Legality is NOT under debate, they can do whatever the hell they want legally EXCEPT use my name or the name "B-Series" (defendable due to published association with my name) - it was a Rev kite, Rev product, endorsement agreement with me (canceled by me).

Ethics however, in a small industry with over 25 years relationship (now behind us) - well, that discussion is really up to y'all, the end users - I do what I have to do, and trust me - I'll outlive 'em all. ;)

I will say though, pretty sad that they couldn't at least tweak the angles a smidgeon, just to step out a little.

End of the day, aside from my irritation, it says a lot that they're trying to hold onto the image and reputation of the B-Series in the midst of launching their new springy "best Revs ever". :)

• Like 7

UPDATE:

After additional prompting by me, Revolution has finally cleaned up the 1.5 Classic description.

Premium Signature Sport Kite Package
The 1.5 Classic package includes a premium light weight, low-stretch sail material. Built with our high performance 3-wrap frame. Also included Free is our Pro 2-wrap frame for light wind conditions. Stainless steel adjustable handles, comprehensive DVD to get you started, and a Spectra Sport Kites Performance Line set, (90 lb x 80 ft).

Let's sew this up once and for all - the "1.5 Classic" is indeed a non-endorsed 1:1 version of my original B-Series they're making despite my clear objection, with the addition of the Reflex springs (which don't seem to do much at all on a 1.5 platform in my hands)... I did actually try the Reflex 1.5 (it just spirals wildly to the earth when you go for a 3D catch - no glide or auto-save like the original Reflex, no straight fall like a 1.5), and some new internal end caps instead of external.

Buy what you want, buy what you need, I just encourage you to consider supporting the folks who actually "live in the field".

FYI, I also noticed all links or references to a Rev retailer directory have been removed from both RevKites websites.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, John Barresi said:

The layout was my creation, period.  Bazzer came into things post-B creation.

In depth, the original version had curved panels but Rev didn't want to sew curves, so I adjusted it to be straight.

And lets be SUPER clear here...

Legality is NOT under debate, they can do whatever the hell they want legally EXCEPT use my name or the name "B-Series" (defendable due to published association with my name) - it was a Rev kite, Rev product, endorsement agreement with me (canceled by me).

Ethics however, in a small industry with over 25 years relationship (now behind us) - well, that discussion is really up to y'all, the end users - I do what I have to do, and trust me - I'll outlive 'em all. ;)

I will say though, pretty sad that they couldn't at least tweak the angles a smidgeon, just to step out a little.

End of the day, aside from my irritation, it says a lot that they're trying to hold onto the image and reputation of the B-Series in the midst of launching their new springy "best Revs ever". :)

Cool. This clears up a lot of questions regarding how the B-Series and B-Pros came to be. 

With the above made clear, I will say that if I were the owner of the company I would want the association between the company and someone who has been devoted for so long to the use and promotion of the products I make and sell to stay in a satisfying, meaningful and profitable relationship for eternity. I would do what I could to keep it from ending.

Personally, I think all the angles of everything are wrong on every Rev. It is not really designed to present maximum sail area possible while still retaining its inherent control and agility. Some will not agree, others will. I would have done a ____-load of "tweaking", and I only have 7 years of experience with the kite, not 30-ish.

I have flown the "springy" original Reflex in very low wind and was not impressed. I'm hoping to try one of the "best Revs ever" this year, but I doubt it will do anything that will make me want to buy one on the spot.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, makatakam said:

With the above made clear, I will say that if I were the owner of the company I would want the association between the company and someone who has been devoted for so long to the use and promotion of the products I make and sell to stay in a satisfying, meaningful and profitable relationship for eternity. I would do what I could to keep it from ending.

You'd think so, but its their choice ultimately - last options were for me to support their launch of the Reflex series and become a "master's master" in Club 38, both of which would be in direct conflict with products that I already endorse(d) and produce myself... They gotta do what they gotta do, lets just see how the dust settles in 2 years time. :D 

• Like 2

Last clarification, iQuad started flying on SLE sails in late 2006, the B-Series was released in January of 2008, Bazzer came on board with iQuad as a pilot sometime around the end of that same year - he built the first B-Series Pros around early 2009... Very slight adjustment in paneling for build integrity, but essentially the same kite at a much higher quality and durability.

Myself, I was a sponsored Rev pilot from 1992 through 2016 - 24 great years, 15 US national quad championships, 6 out of Rev's 8 KTAI industry awards from 2007 to 2012 for the success of both iQuad and the B-Series (both factory and Pro), well over a hundred clinics and workshops worldwide, and an average of 25-35 events flown every year (2002 and later).

All good, I know what I built (with the support of other real fliers) - and how to build it again. ;) 

#TKL #stormrising #beaboutitnotjusttalkaboutit

• Like 7

Interesting story... When we held the team meeting to disband iQuad in 2013, Spence Watson expressed a sentiment that "he missed it" in terms of iQuad's rise and fall - I told him quite clearly, that was a dry run.

He didn't believe me (nobody did), but 'nuff said.

My outings with TKL in the past 12 months have only served validate my sentiments. :) 

• Like 6

They keep making it easier and easier to not let any of my money end up in their pockets. First, their spar quality dropped off a cliff with no explanation or apology. Then they develop a crap gimmick kite and try to tell me it's better than anything already in my bag. Then they attempt to teach their customers (who are better fliers than they are) the wrong ways to fly. At the same time, they are actively cutting off their retailers (who have supported them for 20+ years) at the knees. Finally they prove just what kind of folks they are (lazy, dishonorable, dishonest) with this new B-Flex/B-Tray. Yup, they lost a customer for life. Screw 'em.