KiteLife Forum

Advice for a beginner to kiting and 2-line kites

jasonmcmahon76

i start to believe that T connection problem is because you use a wrong T connection and high winds, if you like kiting and winds are so strong on your area try to buy a vented one. aluminium and worse stainless steel connection will add weight to the tail changing the equilibrium center and fly characteristics,

If I just replace two inches of tubing, then hopefully it won't change the weight all that much. Unless it is substantially heavier I don't think it will affect the flight characteristics much.
  • Like 1

BTW - to my view the most important "must have accessory is simply another kite. At this stage you can buy an affordable stunt exactly for those days when things don't go your way.

I always go to fly with more than one kite. Repairing is part of the fun and you will always brake something....I prefer doing it at home and not waist "wind time"

Sent from my SM-G935F using KiteLife mobile app

While I can understand that, my other half found out how much I spent on this kite. Which is why a) I'm not getting another kite anytime soon and 2) why she does not know that I've broken it. Twice.

By breaking the kite during ground recoveries do you mean while learning the cart wheel or "just anything that could get that kite off the ground"? For the cart wheel I'd say that you don't need much force. I've been working with this myself recently, when cart wheeling my Fazers (rather high aspect ratio and large kites).The way that I've found is to let the top wing back much, then make a long smooth soft pull on that line. Then the following input on the other wing can be very small. It almost feels like cheating through the cart wheel. It also looks like cheating IMO, but it works. Possibly you first need to pull the other line closest to the ground in advance to align the kite on the ground, but I'd need to be out on a field to remember/test/verify this set up part.
Also be careful with the stand offs. Normally you feel/see if a line is around the wing during start, but be careful when this get more difficult to spot: long lines, heavy kite or windy conditions, snow or high grass.

What is the kite equivalent of "mashing all the buttons"? I've kind of been doing that...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonmcmahon76 said:

No flying yesterday. 

PSX_20170226_200843-02.thumb.jpeg.dba4d36f0fe2f610a92531d8a25f8e80.jpeg

...or was there?

Nope! I'm sorry, this doesn't count :)! You can always improve however, through tethering the aeroplane by connecting a rope to each wing (/landing gear?) and get two large trucks to make a remake of the Thor's Hammers car (Audi A5 commercial) video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMlUt8K__iQ ). Then post your video in KL-Forum > General Kite Stuff > Kite Videos. 

• Like 2

@jasonmcmahon76, don't let these tail jokes trick you into that tails attached to kites are silly! My Tramontana tows a tail say 1/3 of its time and is proud of it. The visual effect is too large to be ignored. In addition to the figure flying, some tricking is still possible with a tail: side slides, belly launches, even a fade (possibly entered from a FA - wasn't even sure at the time), while tricks that completes a revolution causes problems. I guess tip stabs, 2-point landings, turtles should be possible (wouldn't cause a line/tail tangle at least), but I can't recollect having done it or not with a tail. IMO every condition and kite combo is an opportunity to gather experience and can be considered as a challenge.

tramontanaTailPost.png

Tramontana with tail being flown by my youngest daughter.

• Like 3

I love tails on kites.  One of my favorite kite pictures is by RobB.  Hope he doesn't mind my posting it here.  It must have been a glorious day.

Rob's Barbara Myers double DC.jpg

I liked it so much I was able to arrange for Santa to bring one to me on his sleigh this past Christmas.  SHBKF

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Exult said:

@jasonmcmahon76, don't let these tail jokes trick you into that tails attached to kites are silly!

11 hours ago, SHBKF said:

I love tails on kites.

Oh, look at what turned up in the mail today!   I can also afford three more mistakes now... :P

58b67c21185a0_2017-03-0116_49_05a.thumb.jpg.71513be1a0aff123bdd22c8e3c1d9f81.jpg

New video is up!  I went wrong somewhere in the editing and the sound was all out of sync,  so I just got rid of it.  Same with the next video as well. :(

So enjoy part 3, in which I break my kite, fix it, and nearly break it again.  

• Like 3

nice,you catch some moves

IMO you have led hands (analogy to led feet from driving). at couple of launches you give to the kite at least 150-200 LBS long input moving your hands from front to back extremely fast. on top of that with the kite on the ground you also pull hard the lines for recovery and put the kite in launch position like you do not care about the kite. look like abusing the kite and this is on to a day with a light to medium breeze when Quantum is not have any chance to fight back.remember is a kite for 3 MPH and is starting to feel good and react in 5 MPH

in hard winds all the hard inputs you give will find at the end of the lines a powerful big kite trying to obey but also resist to you and that almost for sure is the problem with the T connection.

be gentle, kite is your partner, think is a woman,be firm but gentile on the same time.after the kite is up and have some speed and is flying you may be more aggressive on the inputs because is having the space to react on all directions.

is mi opinion from what i see in this last video,is not a criticize to your stile,is just mi opinion.i am a mach more soft with mi kites 

• Like 1

nice,you catch some moves
IMO you have led hands (analogy to led feet from driving). at couple of launches you give to the kite at least 150-200 LBS long input moving your hands from front to back extremely fast. on top of that with the kite on the ground you also pull hard the lines for recovery and put the kite in launch position like you do not care about the kite. look like abusing the kite and this is on to a day with a light to medium breeze when Quantum is not have any chance to fight back.remember is a kite for 3 MPH and is starting to feel good and react in 5 MPH
in hard winds all the hard inputs you give will find at the end of the lines a powerful big kite trying to obey but also resist to you and that almost for sure is the problem with the T connection.
be gentle, kite is your partner, think is a woman,be firm but gentile on the same time.after the kite is up and have some speed and is flying you may be more aggressive on the inputs because is having the space to react on all directions.
is mi opinion from what i see in this last video,is not a criticize to your stile,is just mi opinion.i am a mach more soft with mi kites 

I clearly am too rough on the ground recoverys, hence the T breaking so much. But I am learning this on my own, I don't have anyone with.l me to warn me about things that I am doing wrong, or to show me how best to adjust the kite bridle for each wind condition. At the moment all I am mainly trying to do is avoid the ground and get a feel for how much movement I need to use to control the kite. The light touch and finesse will come once I have more experience and control and can feel the differences between line set ups.
Maybe after I win JB for a weekend, you'll see some improvements!
  • Like 1

try to connect with flyers from your area, make time to go at festivals to see live movements feeling the wind on the same time.more experienced flyers will direct you and show you ways of do things without reserve.

flying alone is not a competition with videos or demos you see at one point must be a pleasure and an ambition to achieve what you see on them without to damage the kite. accidents happen but try to do not cause them

• Like 1

New video is up!  I went wrong somewhere in the editing and the sound was all out of sync,  so I just got rid of it.  Same with the next video as well.
So enjoy part 3, in which I break my kite, fix it, and nearly break it again.  
[/url]  

Great flying! Sure makes me wish I could take a kite up today, wish there want still such bad weather and that I hadn't started a kitchen renovation. This thread has kept me super excited during this down season :)

The parts where you and the kite are both in frame are my favorite! I see you keeping the kite in a stall for a good amount of time, that's a great way to build up those subtle balance skills.

Can't wait to see the next one!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1