KiteLife Forum

My first kite project! Unidentified kite needs replacements/minor repairs

Nekoshi

Hello! Let me start by saying thank you for considering to help. I'm new to kites, and this forum, and I was referred here to get some help identifying/repairing this kite I recently acquired.

I live in a rural area, far from any shops that repair kites, so I figured I'd attempt it myself. Although being my first kite project please tell me if this is ill advised.

I believe this is an older kite that may be out of production. Wingspan laying flat was 69" and tag says it's by Go-Fly-A-Kite. I attached a picture below and I'd be happy to measure and take more detailed pics as needed if anyone wants to try to help me out. It's a pretty little thing isn't it?

Please forgive my internet learned terminology. The replacements and repairs required are as follows:

1. Upper spreader (spar)

2. left and right lower spreaders (spars)

3. Missing one standoff but I will replace both most likely.

4. New bridle for safety reasons (It still has the one it was last flown with)

I closely inspected everything and it seems to be in good condition (LE, sail, hardware), but please let me know if I should replace anything else for safety reasons.

Again thanks to anyone who can give me a hand with my first kite project.

16998663_1483795604966039_615651924727820207_n.jpg

• Like 3

I live in Israel and no kite shops at all...so I can relate to your situation...

I would order all of the parts mentioned except for the bridle. It is very unlikely that you can damage it in a crash or even after 100 crashes....If you insist buy one from the kite manufacturer or buy the the string, watch some YouTube toturials and DIY.

As to the spars and other parts - you can replace one if you can identify and buy exactly the same....if not replace to alike but on both parts of the kite (keep a perfect symmetry).

I buy most of my parts on line from "Kites and fun things" but there are some also some other excellent places on line.

Good luck and welcome

Sent from my SM-G935F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

I just came upstairs from the Kite Dungeon where I have been doing some repairs on an older kite probably about the same age as yours.  Yours is a nice looking kite well worth bringing back to flying condition.  Go Fly A Kite is no longer in business so you will have to improvise a bit.  If this kite were mine here are the things I would do with it.

First I would look at the tail & pull the sail taut by getting the spine back in the pocket or attaching whatever holds the sail in place on that end.  You don't need it super tight just firm enough to lay flat & smooth along the spine.

You have one stand off to help you deduce the lower spreader length on one side.  You can use a wooden dowel to help you work out the length.  Put the dowel in the connector along the leading edge.  Place the dowel over the center T & place the stand off against it.  Move the dowel into a position that makes the sail look smoothed out & a little tight.  Make sure the wing tip already has tension on it to hold the sail tight along the leading edge.  When you find a length of dowel that seems good mark the dowel for length at the center T assuming that the lower spreader will go nearly to the center.  Make another one for the other side.  With both in place improvise a stand off for the other side.  If the kite looks good you now have templates for your lower spreader length.

Next go to a hobby store to buy some carbon rod.  They should have some tubes & rods in the RC airplane section of the store.  Buy the rod closest to the diameter of what you already have on the kite.  Cut one to the same length as the original stand off.  If you are fortunate they may have a selection of carbon tubes that you can use for lower & upper spreaders.  Buy some of a few sizes.  Extras are fine as they can be used for other repairs as well.

You can make connectors for the kite by cutting short lengths of vinyl tube into a shape that holds the end of the stand off rod on the lower spreader.  This is the way they actually made connectors back in the eighties.  Try to come up with a small plastic button that you can use to fabricate an attachment for the trailing edge of the sail.  A couple of short lengths of small diameter vinyl tubes can be glued to the stand off end to hold the pieces in place.

Once you have the lower spreader complete you can make an upper spreader of the correct length by just eye balling it.  It will typically be a smaller diameter than the lower spreader but I have some kites where it is the same.  At this point you should have a flyable kite.  This will get you in the air without ordering parts or traveling to a distant kite store.  It should cost very little to do this & will be very satisfying.  If any of your parts don't hold up you have the challenge of how to make the next parts stronger. 

Or you can ask for help with the proper dimensions & order everything.  But you could still do this while you're waiting.  One time I used a wooden dowel for an upper spreader while I was waiting for a proper replacement.  It worked fine.

Just my thoughts, SHBKF

• Like 5

I suggest that if you are not comfortable doing the work yourself - that you get in contact with Andy at Ocean Shores Kites in Ocean Shores, WA. Owns a store there and can fix darned near anything that flies!!

EDIT: by the look of your kite arsenal - you should be set for now and getting this fixed ASAP is low priority. Why I mentioned Andy - you can get it fixed right and take your time having it done. IMO

• Like 3

Thank you all so much for the help! SHBKF had some great detailed explanations on those tips. I was primarily concerned with getting the measurements right and how to go about the standoff so I feel pretty confident now. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

• Like 1

Another option for you is to go to a kite festival and talk to the flyers there. Kite flyers are a friendly bunch and quite willing to help with projects like this, and may even have everything you need to make these repairs with them. There is usually a kite shop set up at festivals, and can help you either on the spot or through the mail.

• Like 2