KiteLife Forum

Descriptions of Revolution kites...

Jason Paul

I posted this on another forum, and Doug (CLTkiter) thought it would be helpful here too. It's not in depth, but just a quick summary of different kites from Revolution. I tried to keep it pretty simple. Feel free to add any comments.

Here are the basics:

This first set have the classic "bowtie" shape of a Revolution.

Rev 1

Large (9') and very precise, with good control and fairly significant pull.

Rev 1.5M SLE ("M" indicates mylar)

Probably the most suggested as a first Rev. It's about 7.5'. It's still very precise, with a little more speed than the Rev 1. The most popular quad in competition. Currently, they have mylar (hence the "M"), but all cloth models can be found (generally older models or customs) A very good first quad.

Rev EXP

Basically the same kite as the 1.5 SLE, but with a different frame (no SLE spar, so less stiff), and the sail is nylon rather than polyester (no mylar). Many people buy this as a first Rev because it's about $50 cheaper. However, most experienced flyers will suggest a newbie spend the extra money and get a 1.5 SLE.

Rev 2

The smallest Rev at 6'. This is the fast, fun Rev that still has the classic shape. It's made to be a higher wind kite (8-10 mph +), but it can be made to fly in lighter wind. It has very little pull, and many people claim this one is their most fun Rev. Even though I think a 1.5 SLE would be easier to learn on, I don't think it's out of the question to have a Rev 2 as your first - several people here on the forum have. Currently, it's probably my favorite kite.

This second set is referred to as the "Speed Series", and have two additional downspars. They are faster than those listed above, and aren't often (if ever) recommended as a first Rev. These kites will go from zero to 60+ mph almost instantly. This is fun, but a crash can be pretty bad. So, you have to have good control. They generally have a little oversteer in low wind because of the two extra spars, which you have to get used to. These kites are generally better at side-slides, and don't get wingflips often (if ever). A wingflip is a result of over-controlled reverse, where on wing stays right and the other flips backwards.

Supersonic

This is probably the favorite of the Speed Series, has the same wingspan as the 1.5, but is shorter vertically, around 22" I think. It's fast and fun, but has a different feel than the Rev 2. I like them for different reasons, but like the Rev 2 more. The Supersonic pulls more than the Rev 2, so that's another thing to consider when comparing the two. The Supersonic is more fun when the wind is up a bit. This can be a very fast kite.

Shockwave

This one is pretty similar to the Supersonic, except that it generally does a little better in lower winds, and pulls more. It has a wingspan of 96" (according to Rev's website), and is taller than the Supersonic by a couple of inches, but still shorter than the 1.5.

Blast

This one is pretty big at around 9.5'. It does fairly well in low winds, but really begins to pull when the wind is over 10-12 mph.

Super Blast/Power Blast

The Super Blast has now become the Power Blast 2-4, which is a very big kite at 10'. It's been known to do fairly well in low winds. The Power Blast 4-8 is even bigger at around 17'. These kites are generally too much to handle for recreational quad flyers, and are generally geared more towards power kiting.

Another option to consider is the Spirit Quad by New Tech. It's a nice kite for the price, and a good first quad. It's probably a little easier to learn on, but it's also a bit more fragile. Personally, I like the Revs better, but the Spirit is nice. To me, the Revs feel more responsive and snappy, while the Spirit feels more laid back and smooth.

You'll also need to get a lineset and handles, although some of the Spirit's were shipped with linesets. I'd suggest 90# x 85' LPG to start, and I'd also suggest starting with the extended UL handles rather than the standards.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the length, I was a little bored tonight.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Everyone on Kitelife knows that just about the only kite I fly is a Rev. And I love them. :P

Just hoping that your descriptions will get others out with Rev's... :rolleyes:

And my collection/inventory just grew last week to include a new Rev II. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Hopefully next week at the Outer Banks of NC. :lol::):o

Later, Doug

huh! <_< What do you mean almost!!! You know we could!!!!

Problem is we talk about these kites because we looooooovvveee them. lol, but for those who's main kite squeeze is not a rev. it's considered advertisement.

That's why I try to behave myself in some areas. I don't want to tick anyone off... unless it's ticking their hat off with the rev. :)

It's wonderful to have an outlet like this that we can share and sing the praises of a kite that brings so much joy to us.

But if you were to put out a query to receive the best article about rev's.. wow... I wonder what would happen? :lol:

You'd be swamped!! (and of course I'm not a bit predjudiced when it comes to my kids or my kites) :P

BB

Penny

Hey is spell check not working.. I"m getting a red fist.. the chances of my spelling everything correctly are pretty slim.. :rolleyes:

All right.

Can I ask one of you Rev fans to pleeaase comb this forum for all of the various Rev threads, pull out the tons of excellent info accumulated so far, and then re-submit the polished text as an article for Kitelifes next issue?

It would help so many people who are looking to get into quad line but are having a tough time figureing out what to spend thier hard earned money on.

I know I for one at least would greatly appreciate it. :rolleyes::lol:

Thank you.

P.