KiteLife Forum

at it again (now what?)

riffclown

A few hints.
This one isn't a Mesh (at least I don' t think it will be..I MAY change my mind here)
It's red white and blue!!!
It won't be alone (think STACK) Will make 4 kites.
It's in keeping with my regular kite making style..

Initial layout will be posted in about 30 minutes or so..As always subject to change but I've already done SOME cutting so it won't change too much :D

Not sure if I'll try to finish these before the clinic or not but who knows??

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, riffclown said:

I like the everything out of tails approach for now..

When the wind gets that low, I pack up and watch you fly.. :)

Not if you're flying with me you won't! I got lots of low-wind stuff in my bag. You will learn to fly low-wind and you will like. Trust me, you will like it -- eventually. Really. Yup.

• 1 month later...

This didn't go as expected.. I'll still do something with the fabric but this one will be on hold for a while..Was planning to do a progressive stack with full sail in the back but the material didn't line up the way I wanted.. Will table this project pending more inspiration..Meanwhile on to a similar mesh build again with Transition tails..

• 4 weeks later...

I had enough material left over to make the two solid panels here.. I SHOULD be able to get a Rev I and a 1.5 size kite out of these.. All of this is from 1 96' Transition Gomberg Kite Tail.. Was hoping to get 4 kites out of this tail but it looks like the final answer will be 3..

InitialFlats.jpg

• Like 1

The kite finally decided what it wanted to be.. The rectangular openings might flap and if so, I'll add some reinforcements like you see at the center peak or possibly even screen in those openings...  I do want to try it like this first though.. Kite is approximately Rev II sized but has a slightly higher aspect ratio.. Will also have a decent amount of camber and sail tension once assembled..
I'm out of screening material so might be a few days before I get out to grab more..The bulk of this kite is Gomberg 5" Transition tails. there are a few misc pieces of Gomberg 2" transition tails for the LE trace and reinforcement pieces..  I HOPE to have this air worthy by the Rogallo Festival next weekend.. Flatwork is all sewn.. What remains is LE Sleeve, Screen, Frame and Bridling..

5inchG-TailsExperiment.thumb.jpg.43cef46cb91f1faddc410c6ea40dc856.jpg

That kite is really pretty. I love the way the colors turned out. Is the mesh for the LE or for the vents? Nice work Riff.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Thank You.. The  screen/mesh is for the LE.. I MAY need it for the vents but I'm going to try them "as is" for starters.. My concern is the rectangular openings might flap and create drag more then the typical square-ish ones..

• Like 2

Ok guys, somehow I got myself deleted out of the message chain where the clinic guys were talking about next weekend....can ya let me back in? I don't know what I did but I cannot find that message chain in my account inbox anymore.

Just when the karma for the trip was looking good too

54 minutes ago, Tim P. said:

I tried inviting you back but it said I couldn't because you had left the conversation. Hopefully an administrator can get you back in.

No joy, looks like leaving a PM chain is non-reversible, even by an admin. Apologies!

On 6/4/2017 at 9:41 AM, riffclown said:

Thank You.. The  screen/mesh is for the LE.. I MAY need it for the vents but I'm going to try them "as is" for starters.. My concern is the rectangular openings might flap and create drag more then the typical square-ish ones..

Should be fine. Look at the number of openings on a Shook. The size of the openings looks to be about double the size of the largest on a Shook. I think it'll be just fine. I wouldn't add the extra weight, and if they should become necessary, can added at that time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, makatakam said:

Should be fine. Look at the number of openings on a Shook. The size of the openings looks to be about double the size of the largest on a Shook. I think it'll be just fine. I wouldn't add the extra weight, and if they should become necessary, can added at that time.

That's very close to the same thought process I was going through..

So both kites were a great success. Flew pretty balanced very first try.. I did adjust the sail on the full sail to  decrease the amount to loose fabric but it flew great on 240' lines. I do however need to get rid of the FSD split caps and put on Rev or Freilein caps. I had a few instances of the bridles slipping out of the caps. No Crash and burns but a couple of landing with less control that I'd like..

The the smaller kite also made me VERY proud on it's very first fly. To paraphrase Jim Cosca when I let him take the handles. "This isn't just a good kite, it's a great kite"

• Like 2

Yeah...it was really odd to have him swoop in out of no where into "our" airspace. I mean he was not only a normal kite length behind us, but also quite high above us so the lines didn't go in the right direction at all when you tried to figure it out. Odd, very odd. Glad to share the sky (and the weekend) with you and your creations Rob.

• Like 3