Jump to content
KiteLife Forum
Sign in to follow this  
windwarrior

My PRECIOUS!

Recommended Posts

That is the weak spot on the kite. JB and Bazzer have addressed it by putting strips of fabric over the screen at those spots. Now the fabric absorbs the flexing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

That is the weak spot on the kite. JB and Bazzer have addressed it by putting strips of fabric over the screen at those spots. Now the fabric absorbs the flexing .

I'm referring to the full length of the bend across, from the mesh to the bottom. Once it's started and it's across the actual pattern (the eye and brow) what can one do?

20170401_093017.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing. It's the nature of the beast. You could try to touch it up. Best way to prevent it is to remove the frame and roll the sail from one side without folding it. Not folding it in exactly the same place every time will help, but with time you will just end up with a one-inch or wider strip where the color is crumbling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Nothing. It's the nature of the beast. You could try to touch it up. Best way to prevent it is to remove the frame and roll the sail from one side without folding it. Not folding it in exactly the same place every time will help, but with time you will just end up with a one-inch or wider strip where the color is crumbling.

 

Nooooooo.......

images.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm curious....
Is yours showing any wear at the folding points?


Not yet, couple years old but very little wear on it. I do try to fold in a different spot on all my revs as precaution. Most seem to wear eventually. Some are in need of a JB tune up. I just can't seem to send them - I think about it but then think what if the wind blows???


Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2017 at 8:35 AM, windwarrior said:

I'm referring to the full length of the bend across, from the mesh to the bottom. Once it's started and it's across the actual pattern (the eye and brow) what can one do?

20170401_093017.jpg

Sorry - misunderstood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on a similar experience with a different sail. It depends on how the dye/ink is impregnated into the material. . I know the Freilein Vertigo kites exhibit the same type of marks as well.. IT hasn't detracted from the kite structure that I can tell.

I'd suggest if you want to prevent it all together, place a towel (or other thick cloth) on your kite's fold points when folding to keep it from creasing at all.. The marks won't appear if there isn't an actual crease to create it.. Unfortunately, this approach also means using a larger bag for the kite since it won't be nearly as compact. For a kite you truly care about, it may be your best option to protect an irreplaceable sail..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2017 at 0:22 PM, riffclown said:

Based on a similar experience with a different sail. It depends on how the dye/ink is impregnated into the material. . I know the Freilein Vertigo kites exhibit the same type of marks as well.. IT hasn't detracted from the kite structure that I can tell.

I'd suggest if you want to prevent it all together, place a towel (or other thick cloth) on your kite's fold points when folding to keep it from creasing at all.. The marks won't appear if there isn't an actual crease to create it.. Unfortunately, this approach also means using a larger bag for the kite since it won't be nearly as compact. For a kite you truly care about, it may be your best option to protect an irreplaceable sail..

Oh boy

images (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, seriously, it's a kite, not an investment. Fly it and enjoy it. The battle scars only give it more character! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, makatakam said:

But, seriously, it's a kite, not an investment. Fly it and enjoy it. The battle scars only give it more character! 

Yes, I know and I will. I think I just enjoyed looking more for the pics of Gollum!! LOL!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, windwarrior said:

Yes, I know and I will. I think I just enjoyed looking more for the pics of Gollum!! LOL!

In that case, carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, eventually that (design master floral?) paint will flake off at the folds, it is a coating on top of the nylon not leached into the fabric like would happen with acid etch dyes and an autoclave on icarex material.  Heat and pressure forcing the dyes thru the polycarbonate coating and polyester threads to permanence is the ticket!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3190280950800&set=a.3125872780636.2141729.1079141123&type=3&theater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...