KiteLife Forum

Getting Going

FrostyDogs

I'm so lazy,

I have lines of different lengths on different handle sizes.  I seldom will switch-out between handles.  I tune the lines and leaders against a single stake, by sighting down the lines when tensioned, and slowly giving slack, the longer line will "show itself".  I tune with the handles in my opposite hand.  None of my lines or leaders are equal against themselves, only at the end of the strings does it matter, neutral is neutral!

Using two leader line strands (Hi test bridle line 100#), but knots only on one of them, super close together too, so I can make little tiny adjustments.  Say they are 3/8 of an inch apart, oh all my adjustments take place on the bottom leaders.  I don't use sleeving and to catch the kite easily, the further out there you can reach the more dramatic of an impact you can have on it.  So my top leaders aren't adjusted or only by 3/8" of an inch once. The leader reaches all the way across the gap of the handles from top to bottom.  Longer handles, longer leaders.

With the leader line that's not containing any knots you can quickly place one between the 3/8" gap, if necessary.  Bridle lie ties and unties easily!  I wind the lines onto the handles and carry 6-8 sets in a backpack.

Last week I replaced almost every set with new Skybond (except for a set of 170#/120s), 50#/135', 50#/120', 50#/100', 100#/100', 100#/120' (long throw) 100#/120 (short throw),

You know my old set of 50#/fifty feet was fine and those darn things broke when I was faced-off against Fletch in Hot Tricks @ NCBKite fest for the finals championship.  Suddenly I have 3 strings functioning only and my extra kite is way across the field.  You can't beat him like that!!!!

So check you lines and replace 'em as necessary.  Buy long sets and when they get ragged cut them down to short and short lengths.  You won't be wrapping many turns on 30 footers.

YES, I've noticed too, I don't do very much they way other fliers do it

• Like 1