KiteLife Forum

This is why you wear gloves...

RobB

I usually wear gloves when launching and landing, but this happened during the couple hours in between. The kids were messing around with the anchor, and somehow the line started freespooling away...
Someone had to catch it. Luckily, the spool had 500' on it, and the kite was only 100' up when it started rapid assent.

** edit... Mobile app is having trouble with pictures. I have to transport the picture to a PC to post. A cold one is making the burn feel better, though.

OK, back on a 'real' computer...

Stringburn...

20170402_171814.jpg

The Kite that burned me...

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

Some Ghost Delta...

ccghost.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

And a large noisy kite came out too...

Handstand.jpg

Happy Kite Month ! Hoping to get in a lot more flying this month to make up for a quiet Winter !

Sent from my LG-K330 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you for this second line warning (that I know of at least)! The first one about the line that ended up around your wrist when you axeled the foil ( http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5459-what-do-do-in-high-wind/?page=2#comment-36938 ) I try to keep in my mind whenever there is risk/chance of large pull from kites. It is a bit like on a yacht - however hard you need to pull on a line you should never wrap it around yourself to get a better grip, no matter if it is connected to sails, rigs or anchors.

When sitting reading about this SLK line burn I have knowledge of the end result and got the time to ponder over how it could have been avoided (which you didn't have at the time of course). If wearing shoes, could one have stepped on the line to hold it to some degree and also keep it well defined horisontal? With the other foot could one have stopped the spool from spinning? Was there a risk of getting caught in the line and dragged? (How would MacGyver have done it?)

I really didn't have time to think... It was totally unexpected that the cleat would come free and the spool would start freespooling. I should've really transferred my 500# line over onto a windbreaker, I wouldn't have had this problem, but no, the line is still on the large spool. Anyway, I was on soft sand, so I don't know if stepping on it would've slowed the line. 

Once the kite is up, and line is cleated off, I take the gloves off, unless it's cold out, but it wasn't. I have to rethink my way of cleating the line when flying with a spool. Any suggestions ?

BTW... this is what the stringburn looks like a few days later...

17796037_10211247265751429_2501557806026631050_n.jpg

• Like 1

There's a "Spanish Knot" that allows a loop to be formed/knotted in the line so you can tie that off. Comes off easy when untied. There's a YouTube vid somewhere. If I find it, I'll link it.

None of my SLKs need more than #200 line so I just put between 1/2 doz to a dozen wraps around a 'biner and clip to a dog stake.

I have used a larkshead on the main line to a knot line around a tree but was a bit of a pain to pull the tension off to release it.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• 1 month later...