KiteLife Forum

Delta

Mikelp3586

Hi all, I'm looking for options of smallest quality delta for my sons first kite. I started in a delta and can remember the hours of joy I had with that wing and think it's the best option to start. If anyone has one or has input would be awesome! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  In my experience, a keeled delta is very easy to fly.  I have two, both of which fly easily without a tail.  One was hand made and bought from a craft stall 30 years ago.  The other is a "biggie" 11 feet wingspan.  Before I got the big one, the craft stall one was my "if all else fails" kite.  That is, if nothing else in the bag would fly, then delta would unless there was no wind at all.  Both will fly without a tail and will support sensible amounts of "line laundry" such as flags, streamers and the like.

Because it is so simple and reliable, I would have thought that almost any delta kite for a few Dollars/Pounds would fly.  However, your son will get more pleasure from a reasonably good quality one.  I know that even as a kid, I thought that a "cloth" kite was infinitely more "real" than a plastic one.

If you go for a well known make, you won't go far wrong.  Names that spring to mind for me are HQ, Prism, Brookite, Günther.  I have had good experiences with various kites from all four of these manufacturers.  Look on Amazon and you will find something.

Kite flying is a visual and tactile experience.  Depending on the age and personality of your son, he may like bright colours or patterns, or a cartoon character (or similar) printed on the sail.  However, if they can feel the cloth fabric, get a sense of satisfaction from inserting the spars correctly, and have a nice reel/winder that is comfortable and easy to use, he will enjoy flying more.