KiteLife Forum

New Kite Festival In Santa Cruz, CA

Penny Lingenfelter

I got a call from Tracy last night.

BASKL (Bay Area Stunt Kite League), UPN & a CBS station, along with SouthWestern Airlines are sponsoring a new festival! Woo hoo, tell any one you know in sunny California. The date for this one day festival is May 6th, with "regular fun flying" available on the 5th and 7th. Fliers arring Friday night. It should be an excellent adventure!

BB

Penny

Further details at http://aka.kite.org/cal_dtl.php?event_no=2931 . I'm kinda disappointed that they're holding it on the municipal beach -- on the upside, it'll be very visible to passers-by (and there should be a lot of those), but there's only about one good quadrant for wind on that beach (directly onshore to about 60 degrees toward the yacht harbor). Moving out of Monterey Bay onto the Pacific Ocean beaches up what the locals call the North Coast gets you into some humongous winds sometimes, but even when they're light they're cleaner than the winds on the north end of the bay. Unfortunately, you could hold a festival with hundreds of flyers out there and nobody would see it.

All told, the visibility-to-passers-by issue will win the day, and it should. Figure on relatively turbulent air (winds coming around the Coconut Grove, or around the municipal wharf), enjoy the sun and the sand, and wow the locals. I've flown a time or two on 4th Avenue Beach during some of our wintertime visits to see my folks, and have never failed to meet some folks who have no idea what a stunt kite is.

• 3 weeks later...