KiteLife Forum

Hello!

I am looking for a first dual line kite.  I have no experience, but could always get those those old plastic grocery store kites to do loops, etc.  

I've been looking a bit and I thought that Prism Nexus looked like something that could take me from beginner into entry-level intermediate.  After reading on the forums, I'm not so sure.

I'm in the Midwest in the USA, so wind can be a problem, but there's lots of open space in which to fly!

Looking for thoughts, recommendations, and maybe even someone who has a great used beginner kite for sale!  I appreciate any advice and direction you're willing to provide!

If you are in an area with fellow KiteLife members, suggest you try the OPK brands first.. (OPK is kite talk for Other People's Kites)  There is probably someone close to you. A group will be flying and will gladly let you try before you buy.

We are generally a friendly bunch and once you've tried a few different options you can make a fairly unbiased decision on what works best for you.. Warning though, one size does NOT fit all.. See who's nearby.

http://kitelife.com/forum/membermap/

Riff,

Thanks for the advice and map.  Unfortunately, there aren't any people nearby.  It looks as though I could go about 120 miles and find a few (which is worthwhile if there's more than one or two and they're willing to help!)  Is there a list of clubs anywhere?  Thank you again!

HI, I'm 5'6", so shortly is the only way I can speak. Welcome to the forum. Join IKE (Illinois Kite Enthusiasts). It's free, and as long as you're in Illinois, what the heck, go for it. We also have members from all the surrounding states, as well as a few who are further away. The club members do fly together often, and we have a kite "retreat" in September at Indiana Dunes State Park. Most of the regulars are in the Northeast quadrant of Illinois. You are welcome to join in anytime and anywhere we fly. 

Although waiting to try some other people's kites is a good idea, there is no "one kite for all conditions", so if you have the urge to get something now . . . . . . . it probably won't be the last you will get. I recommend getting a used one. You'll save close to 50% off the price of a new one, and it won't hurt as much when you beat and/or break it. Go to any kite festivals near you, even if you must drive a couple of hours one way. Flying with experienced pilots will cut hundreds of hours off your learning curve.

If you ever head up towards the Chicago area, post up on the IKE forum, and someone will usually be able to join you to fly.

• Like 1
Hello!
I am looking for a first dual line kite.  I have no experience, but could always get those those old plastic grocery store kites to do loops, etc.  
I've been looking a bit and I thought that Prism Nexus looked like something that could take me from beginner into entry-level intermediate.  

Prism is a good place to start for beginners. The Nexus/Jazz and the Quantum are good beginner kites, but in my opinion will not serve you at the intermediate level. You might look at the Zypher if your budget allows.
@

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Spikey
      Basic question here is what would be a good age and most important SAFE  age and weight to get into kite sports? He will be 8 years old 2 week in August 2020.

He is adventurous, average build, fairly smart and sensible. He is now 60 Lbs/27 kilos but has never flown kits before and I was thinking of getting him some form or entry training kits he could learn to fly rather then get pulled. Also these kinds of kits unlike the average toy shop one tend to be easy to launch.

But I want him safe, not terrified or hurt and not to put his protective mum (ie sis) off this so need her happy too even if the lad is shouting out 'weeeeeeeeeee' with glee going airborne on his first go, that would mean no more kite and moi in the doghouse. We need to get mum on side here at least long enough for her trust us from the cafe

Initial investigation has pointed to  2 Kits.

The Cross Kits Air 1.2m £25      or      1.5m £35      (Thinking 1.8 is pushing luck with a 27 kilo 8 year old rookie ) 

Or the 

HQ4 Fluxx 1.3 Trainer Power Kite £49-£59 + £8 for the safety system

The HQ4 Flux comes with a control bar with the option to get HQ Rush Safety System Wrist strip which looks to be a form of kite killer.

The HQ Flux looks a better bt to me due to the bar  which is more like what later kites will use so good for practice and I like the Safety system strap but its double the price, Im unemployed and I dont know how much use will be had out of said kite

Its likely this would be used when Im not around ie mum or dad taking him, neither of whole have any kite experience as far as I know. So it needs to be suitable for rookies and as said we are talkign a very light weight clueless 8 year old boy here.

Ie he too young, to small and light?

Would either of the above kites be fine and is the HQ flux worth double the price?

Also which would be better the 1.3 m or 1.5m  or is or too small a difference to notice.

This is likely to be used in the local park or fields as he is on the edge of town, in fields / parks surrounded by trees. Not expecting much wind

Have also had a look at the  HQ Symphony 3 1.3m kite which looks very similar to the Cross air 1.3m.

can you guys advice please?

It appears to be do I go for the Cross Kite air with the hand loops or the BQ4 Fluxx 1.3 meter kite with control bar and a safety wrist leash kite killer strap. This loops a bit better but is double the price. Is it worth it?

Was told to add this....

Where are you?
      London

Where do you fly? (or want to)
      Parks in North London  - Trent Park, Bush Hill Park, in North London, Also Alexandra Palace, Finsbury Park etc 

What kiting experience do you already have?
      Its not for me, i have had a little experience with a Flexifoil 3.5m bullet.  I am asking for my nephew who is aged 8, 60 ponds, 27 kilos and never flown any kite
      its not for me. I have had experience with a 3.5 m flexifiol Bullet.. This is to train an 8 year old who has never flows any kite. First kite to introduce and give him a taste, he could build from

What aspect of powerkiting are you interested in? (Buggying, Landboarding, Snow Kiting Kite Surfing, Jumping, etc..)
      Training an 8 year old who has never flows any kite. First kite to introduce and give him a taste, he could build from

What are your local winds like? (Averages, gustiness etc.):
      Very Low

How much do you weigh? (Not trying to be personal, Bigger people are less likely to be overpowered by marginally bigger kites and most of us want to start you on a kite that will teach you without hurting you.) 
      We are talking a possible present for a 60 lb / 27 kilo boy for his 8 year old birthday

What kind of budget are you looking at? (just to narrow choices)

£25 - £55

• By parasko
      Hi Everyone,
      My first post in this forum.
      I’ve been searching for a kite to buy my two 8 year old nephews for Christmas. 
      I have bought them each a Prism Zenith 5 but now that I’m learning more about kites I’ve realised that I should’ve bought a dual line/stunt kite instead, as they will be bored quickly with the single line kite. 
      Here in Australia the Prism brand seems to be the most prominent and so I’ve narrowed the choice down to the Jazz or the Nexus. Can anyone advise on which one would be more suitable for an 8 year old boy? 
      I have read that the Nexus is larger and so it is easier to control. However I also read that it has more pull. What does that actually mean?
      Should I be looking at the Jazz which is lighter and buy a tail for it so it slows it down a little?
      As you can read I am a novice in the kite world so any advice would be appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.

• By chrispret
      I'd like to get into quad kites, and I'm looking for a cheap(ish) beginner kite. I don't fly often enough that I think I will ever be an expert, but I know that quads are not easy to learn, and picking the wrong beginner kite makes it even more difficult.
      I'm heading on a beach vacation for the next two weeks, and expect that there will be a few good days to fly, so I'd like to pick up something in the area (Florida Cocoa beach/St Augustine), and the only kites I can find at or under $200 are the Rev Exp, HQ Mojo, or NewTech Volkquad. I'm also trying to see if I can pick up a used Rev, but don't want to bargain on that.
      So, long winding intro over, from what I've read:
      Rev Exp is ok, but a bit sluggish. The Mojo is quite twitchy and nobody really said anything truly positive about it. Volksquad is a bit of a dark horse, not much out there, but the price tag of $160 including lines and handles makes me wonder if it is worth considering. I've also seen good words about the Freilein/OSKUSA Vertigo, but it is not easily available in the area, and a bit more pricey than I want. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Rev Exp, but was hoping someone here with more knowledge could weigh in.
    • By Geo
      No repairs or tears. In very good shape.  $500 for the 10 or will sell 2 separate 5 stacks for  $250 each.
    • By JaseRicco
      I currently have a dual line, Prism Quantum, which I enjoy flying very much. Thinking of picking up a used Rev Exp off the forum for my low wind days. Would this be a good beginner quad to learn on as I have never flown quad before? Are these kites really good for no/low wind?
      Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Upcoming Events