KiteLife Forum

Things to improve: A documentary

FranckPG

Since I can remember I've always loved movies, especially making my own. So it's no surprise that from my first day with a quad I'd be documenting my progress. As I was making this short film a few things came to mind. First and foremost, how much fun I have. Setting up the shot, flying, editing, all of it great fun for me.

The second thing these little movies show me? I want to improve everything!

Which brings me to the last thing. After a year and a half, I'm actually improving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Maka, looking back it seems like I spent the first yr just learning about the aspects of flying. Different locations, learning about the wind and how to make the kite fly or not no matter the conditions. Can't tell you how many times I went out just to realize that day was not gonna be ideal. Even on those days I learned something about flying.

This weekend I learned something with the WOW club here in DC. I can hover in any directions, for minutes on end. Put me in with a team fly as I attempted for the first time Sunday…and my brain shuts down and I can't hold the position. WTF right? First instinct was what's wrong with my kite. I step away from the team and no problem. Back in, same problem. It's not the gear, it's The pilot.

In short I spent the first yr learning about flying and the technique really started to click in the last 6 months.

• Like 2

Oh, yeah. That first time crossing lines with others can be just a bit traumatic. How do you say aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in English? Best advice I ever got specifically for that was ignore the other kites and lines. In other words, concentrate on flying your kite. It will "click", sooner for some than for others. Took me about a year to get anywhere near comfy crossing lines with others. Now I can't get enough. And even if you manage to bring a bunch of the others down, you're just creating laughs and memories that bring future smiles. Remember that time Franck got his line . . . . . . .

What will help immensely with team flying is to practice speed control and positioning. Practice flying different figures at exactly the same speed throughout each. No speeding up or slowing down, even if the wind gusts. Do it at half that speed. Do it at an absolute crawl. Now, do it all again, backwards. Again, sideways, both upright and inverted. Sounds nearly impossible, until you do it. The second half of this will give you  the ability to control your kite in any position, in any part of the wind window. Anything you practice, do it for 20-30 minutes, then take a break by flying without thinking about anything. After quite some time (months, years?) of doing this, you will notice that what you do without thinking looks a lot like what was once practice. There will be many "aha" moments along the way to be savored. Just keep in mind that there are three stages of kite flying:

1. The kite flies you.

2. You fly the kite.

3. The kite and you fly together as one.

When you hit that 3rd stage, you'll know. Savor it. It doesn't happen all the time after you've been there once. It's a combination of conditions and the way you feel. But there is nothing better. "You know you got it, if it makes you feel good...."

• Like 4

The key for me is that no matter how frustrating at times, it's fun. Even when I make a mistake I'm smiling at the fact that I even attempted a certain maneuver and the smile gets bigger realizing that eventually it will come.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FranckPG said:

The key for me is that no matter how frustrating at times, it's fun. Even when I make a mistake I'm smiling at the fact that I even attempted a certain maneuver and the smile gets bigger realizing that eventually it will come.

Enthusiasm & optimism will take you a long way.  Be sure to add some perseverance though.  

Best wishes, SHBKF

• Like 1

To show what perseverance does, I should've started this thread with the first ever Rev video I posted on my YouTube channel. Should've been entitled "what first time Rev flyers shouldn't do".

I just watched it for the first time in over a year and good lord what a wrecking ball.

15 minutes of raw footage- maybe 8 minutes of flying and half of that is not even in frame.LMAO Setting up and launching with leading edge up? Check

Using travel rods as stakes. Yes, rods, one for each handle.

Leaders way too powered up. That's just a few.

The title is very accurate but one thing I did right. I didn't fly around if any one got remotely close to my window. I was a menace to society on that beach but as always perseverance will just keep me going. I've just become less dangerous with a kite.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

you fly better than half of the people on the line Franck, relax you got this now

try the precision figures for a competition, they will push you further with control and an easy to compare perfection against the moving diagrams offered.

here's a new one & totally brutal!.... http://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/new/quad13.html

first piece of advice?  Start the figure from a downward decent, not moving upwards, so you are totally powered up when you call "in".  

It's a square superimposed upon a circle, blending the two seamlessly together is why there are different categories, from novice to masters.  Owning this figure would be a great start to building a killer routine for freestyle or ballet comps!  What music matches such a maneuver? 

8 hours ago, FranckPG said:

Here's another short vid titled Maryland…where you can fly a standard one minute a Polo vented the next all day long.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sounds like the Chicago area. I've gone from XUL, to STD, to MID, to XTRA. Just kept two kites staked and switched to the other as necessary, with speed and directional changes every few minutes.

You've improved massively -- congratulations! Now do everything backwards. Practice half tip pivots in opposite directions, vertically and horizontally. Then, slide circles, both with the LE towards and away from the center of the circle. Watch the tutorial and master the traveling bicycle. Practice clockwork, axels, and catch and throw. Learn all that and you will be Master Class.

Practice clockwork, axels, catch and throw. Learn all that and you will be Master Class.

or just a hacking flailer who's enjoying themselves immensely like me!  A dear departed friend once shared,.... "you move up in classification only AFTER kicking & screaming fails!"

2 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Practice clockwork, axels, catch and throw. Learn all that and you will be Master Class.

or just a hacking flailer who's enjoying themselves immensely like me!  A dear departed friend once shared,.... "you move up in classification only AFTER kicking & screaming fails!"

That sounds like a Terry Murray comment to me..

• Like 1