KiteLife Forum

Leader install on new rev handles

TimD

I just bought an NOS NYM, but unfortunately, the dealer didn't have the original handles, so sent me the 'new' rev handles, with the stone-age leaders (no adjustments). I note also that the metal 'clips' you normally larkshead your leaders to are also gone, in favor of line through the handle, a washer on each end, and a couple of stacked knots on each end (apparently to keep it from shifting in the handle), then a rubber cap, and the end of that line comprises the leader with a single knot. Wanting to install the leaders I got from KL, I noted the end knot you would normally larkshead flying lines to only has aboht 1/8" of loose line (sealed to prevent fraying) after it, and that is considered good enough to hold. Extending this idea back to the handle, I  cut off the end  acting as the leader a bit over 1/8" past the knot and sealed it, ran the KL leader through the cap, and larksheaded it to the knot at the end of the handle (they  have just enough slack to get below the knot), and replaced the cap. This appears  to have the leader at the right length, and easily replaceble.

So, my question is this: Am I asking for a failure here, or do folks think is is OK? (and if not, what would you do . . . )?

- Tim

• Like 1

That should hold just fine. You may eventually transform the "type" of snagless handle setup from this to what you will see if you do a search for "snagless handles" on this forum. The only issue you may have with the current setup is that what the leaders are attached to still runs all the way through the handle, right? So, as this line stretches and the knots tighten it will get longer and create some slop that will allow it to move up and down in the handle. This will interfere, if only slightly at first, with the amount of precise control you have, and what you're trying to do is build proper muscle memory. It's just something to unlearn later on in the game. Two steps forward, one step back. If you really get into this quad thing, you will eventually acquire custom, solid aluminum snagless handles. You will be sold on these the first time you use them, but in the meantime, I recommend the screw and drywall anchor inserts you'll see on this forum. You can use an extension made of bridle line, or anything similar to attach to the screws and larkshead your leaders to that, so that any wear the screws cause will be to the cheap, easily replaceable extensions and not the leaders.

Remember to have fun -- and don't make it too complicated. It's only kite flying, you know. Keep it as simple as possible and it will stay fun. However, if tinkering is your first love, go for it!

7 hours ago, TimD said:

I  cut off the end  acting as the leader a bit over 1/8" past the knot and sealed it, ran the KL leader through the cap, and larksheaded it to the knot at the end of the handle (they  have just enough slack to get below the knot), and replaced d the cap. This appears  to have the leader at the right length, and easily replaceble.

Should be just fine, I do the same on my indoor handles which also have the heavy cord running through it. ;)